Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Michael Hill

Default The New Relic: Abject Stupidity

Introduction:

Enough is enough, time to get serious. A little background first. I originally started doing Crossfit back in early 2005, somewhere around there. I did that for a while but plateaud due to a lack of strength and tried to add supplemental strength work but did way too much because Iím an idiot. Fast forward to today and I basically have screwed around/program hopped and gotten no where fast.

The plan is to go back to Crossfit. I have made recent previous attempts to go back in, but made the mistake of not ramping up slowly enough, resulting in a lack of consistency, and ending in a spectacular burnout and lack of results. I will be doing a lift of the day prior to a reduced volume WOD following a 3/1 schedule. LOD will be 5-3-2 rep warm-up sets with one heavy work set of 5 reps. Lifts rotated will be Dip, DL, Chin, FS, OHP, PC. WOD will generally be 50% volume (at least for the first month). Deference will be given to strength in the sense that volume of distance/reps will be reduced instead of lowering the weight whenever possible.

I decided to do this because I think a little accountability is just what I need. I think it will force me to be honest with myself about the little indiscretions, both dietary and training wise by posting the good, the bad and the ugly. I am posting this here instead of over at Crossfit because of my utter disdain for the Zone diet and I feel I may get more informative feedback if anyone chooses to do so. If I modify anything it will be toward a more strength/power focus and not more/longer met-con. It has been my experience that the Zone sucks all the joy out of life and drives me freaking nuts. I will also post diet/sleep comments on the same page as I believe they go together (if this isnít OK, let me know and I wonít do that).

Stats:

Male
6í0Ē
181 lbs

Posting begins tomorrow
Old 06-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

What is your current goal?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
It has been my experience that the Zone sucks all the joy out of life and drives me freaking nuts.
Welcome to the dark side....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Good luck! I would say you're in the right spot. Looks like you have kind of a MEBB scheme working out here, good idea.

I feel you on the Zone. I've tried strict Zoning, modified blocks etc. and just have no fun with it.

You're in the right place for support.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Michael Hill

-Allen,

Main goal is just all around fitness and health. I have found that I do better without too much met-con, but have no desire to completely give it up because I have exercise ADD and don't feel good without it. That is a big reason I wanted to stick with Crossfit to an extent. Lots of variety, but with a plan in the bigger picture and I don't have to program much. I really need the variety becuase much of the rest of my life is very structured. I an an accountant and sometimes the anality of my co-workers is beyond absurd form my view. So I guess to get to the point, I want it all, but like I said before with a deference to strength. I would rather have a bigger deadlift than a good 10k time (Acutally I'd be fine if I never ran one again). I will be using my weights on all the big lifts and benchmark WOD's as measures. From a vanity point of view I'm fully committing to the idea of performance based
aesthetics. I figure this way, at least I can impress the ladies by juggling kettlebells if they don't find me attractive.

Thanks to the others

6/2/08

WU: Row 1000m, dynamic strething & joint mobility work

LOD: Dips
BW - 30 x 5
BW x 3
BW+10 x 2
BW+20 x 5

WOD: CFT (I'm running one cycle behind so I can plan volume changes in the scheme of the 3/1 as a whole)

FS

5x85
3x115
2x145
1x165 Strong
1x185 Tough
1x195 Fail

OHP

5x75
3x95
2x115
1x120
1x125 Very Tough
1x130 Fail

DL

5x135
3x225
2x265
1x295
1x305 Tough
1x315 Fail

Food:
#1: 4 hardboiled eggs (need to go shopping), 4 fish oil caps (black decaf
coffee and water throughout the day)

#2: 6 pickles, deli meat off of two sandwhiches (I was at a seminar for
work today and usually, they have good food choices at these things,
but not today, should have planned ahead

#3: About 8oz chicken breat, bunch of broccoli, 1 orange, 1 Tbps CLO, 2
Tbsp Olive oil

Note regarding substitutions:

I want to sub as little as possible but will have to due to equipment limitations as I work out in a commerical gym (the kind where trainers tell clients that their knees will explode if they let their knees move forward at all). Don't have a house so I can't build my own.

Additionally, I will have to sub on two standard exercises: Bench and BS
I can't bench w/o pain due to a shoulder dislocation I suffered back in my "body building" days. Being a early 20 y/o dumbass, I deceided I would fix myself. Ever since I can't bench, however if I stop OHP/dip/push-up it begins to hurt.

For the BS, I get pretty bad hip pain in my right hip. I have no idea why, I've tried playing around with form, read and re-read starting strength, etc. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but alas I'm just not going there for now.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Steve Rogers

Welcome aboard! Not sure why the disdain for the Zone diet. It seems to work, but I'm to lazy to count blocks. I currently do the South Beach Diet (more or less), which is similar, but without the precision. Works for me.

I think standard CrossFit is good for a lot of people. Everything works, but nothing works forever, so change somethng every 4 to 8 weeks. If you want general fitness with an emphasis on strength, the CA WOD looks good and I'll get there soon. I just finished a Starting Strength cycle and am doing Dan John's Rapid Ascent program now.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Allen Yeh

Nice answer. I asked because that of course would color my answer.

Another method that I found worked pretty well for Strength if you still want to have your metcon too is something I found in a PM article that Robb wrote on how he programmed a fighters workouts.

He would do weighted dips, weight pullups and deadlifts with one minute rest between sets keeping the reps between 1-3 and sets between 3-5 sets, varying the reps and sets everyday 3-5 days per week. When I used this method I did OHS, ring dips and weight pullups. I attribute this to getting my OHS to BW+ for reps. Then after you do this which takes no more than 15 minutes you do your metcon for the day. It's not too taxing because of the low reps but enormous benefit.

A lot of good advice so far.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Michael Hill

Thanks for the idea. I read that issue of the PM and I think it is a good idea too. There are however, a lot of good ideas. I really like the latest 3 day a week MEBB program and a lot of other ones out there. I am trying to keep it simple and actually be consistent in application of my template. Also, I like the idea of working out a little bit almost every day, I feel better this way.

I just read Grant's post on his strength based template and results. I have experienced some of the same problems he did, such as joint pain form only heavy lifting and too much/too long of met-con destroys me (I'm thinking adrenal fatigue issues, etc). A big problem I have is I start off doing well and feel great, so then I ratchet up the intensity too fast and burn out. I vow to restrain myself this time and make incremental, long-lasting progress.

I am actually stealing the basic premise from a post by Peirre Auge where he said,

"Just do the WOD and pick one exercise with which to practice a heavy lift immediately prior to the WOD. Do 5 reps. Pick a different exercise prior to each WOD and keep alternating the movements linearly increasing in load.

And if at all possible, use the prescribed weights in the WOD go as fast as possible while maintaining excellent form. You will be surprised with how much stronger and faster you get in a short time."

See the full discussion at (WFS, obviously) - last post of the page.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...?t=2176&page=5
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

Welcome aboard Michael.

We are pretty close in stature and very close in the CFT. I can BS without pain but other than that not too far apart.

Looks like you have a great plan. I can't zone either as it drives me batty so it is mostly Paleo for me.

I will be watching your log with great interest to see your progression. Best of luck.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Michael Hill

Thanks Derek,

Hopefully this will workout well. Perhaps I will contact one of the affiliates in my area (I live in CT) either CF watertown or CF central and see if I can get some help with the BS. I'm probably doing something wrong, but just can't tell.