Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default MOD, question...

On your blog, you mention doing fasted cardio and then eating about one hour later. What would happen if that time was extended? Say your trying to keep and IF schedule with your feeding window 11-8. Because of work, to workout fasted you need to be done with your workout by 7 AM. If you kept in a fasted state until 11 (~4 hours after your workout) would you expect to see positive, negative, or neutral results? What if you had the same workout time but were doing a more extreme fasting schedule, something like Fast-5, remaining in the fasted state for ~10 hours after your workout?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

You'll live. First is what is your definition of "cardio"? (Steady state or HIIT stuff?) Regular steady state cardio fat burning is pretty much over once you stop it....higher intensity stuff involves more elevated post workout burn....but drink some water, take some Vit C, and if you want to pop some aminos feel free. Technically you are in an aerobic state even at work....so you could burn fat still, although probably not alot to get that excited about.

When in doubt....try it out...see what happens....add some coffee pre workout AM....enjoy.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Brandon Enos

sounds like a plan

I would imagine the same response for more strength related work? Mainly bodyweight stuff, though I am lifting some on Thursdays (trying to work on my bases more, my bodyweight exercises are embarissing, cutting back on iron until satisfied).
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Dan Heaney

OK Mike I have a similar question but with weight training. I am going to start IF again but my training need to be @ 8-10AM and I really don't want to break the fast until 5-6 PM. I really don't want to eat during the day. Am I going to have to bit the bullet and eat from 10-11 til 5?
Dan Heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Heaney View Post
OK Mike I have a similar question but with weight training. I am going to start IF again but my training need to be @ 8-10AM and I really don't want to break the fast until 5-6 PM. I really don't want to eat during the day. Am I going to have to bit the bullet and eat from 10-11 til 5?
Here's your options....again you can play around and alternate to see what works best or gets you more results....but they all can work:

- Eat 10-5pm on workout days only
- Take BCAAs pre/post workout
- Do Warrior Diet style and eat very light during the day if you want your biggest meal to be at night (fruits/veg/etc)

Milage may vary....but you can play around to your heart's content.....you can even throw in some fruit pwo depending on how carb sensitive you are....when in doubt start with small portions and see how that effects weight loss/muscle gaining.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
sounds like a plan

I would imagine the same response for more strength related work? Mainly bodyweight stuff, though I am lifting some on Thursdays (trying to work on my bases more, my bodyweight exercises are embarissing, cutting back on iron until satisfied).
See above response....as you can apply the same principles around your muscle building workouts....