Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #131
Chris Bate

Anton and Allen, thanks for the links and info.

I just bought Robb's "Power Bias" and "Fight Prep" articles. Good stuff!
Chris Bate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #132
Leo Soubbotine

Peter - if you're lucky like me - you'd have some great genetics

Hm... may be the height is a bit counterproductive for CF but it's not too bad.
Everything else I'm really happy with.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #133
Anton Emery

Just got Robb Wolf's Power Bias article after seeing it mentioned here. Man, that guy is so smart, its such a good article, and written so i can understand it. It has definitely given me stuff to think about in my own training.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #134
Joe Hart

Anton- there are a few threads about the power bias and check out the interval with in an interval thread. Some good stuff. It goes well with Gant's hybrid.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #135
Steve Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
In about 10-15 years. Bring your checkbook.
Altering gene expression to maximize selected capabilities could be a reality within 5 years for those who have fat checkbooks and aren't picky about regulatory approval. Or it might be 50 years, but it'll happen barring some cataclysm.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #136
Chris Bate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rogers View Post
Altering gene expression to maximize selected capabilities could be a reality within 5 years for those who have fat checkbooks and aren't picky about regulatory approval. Or it might be 50 years, but it'll happen barring some cataclysm.
In what field would that be? Biomedical engineering? I finally know what I want to study in college
Chris Bate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #137
Steve Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bate View Post
In what field would that be? Biomedical engineering? I finally know what I want to study in college
It's probably not on the menu yet. Biomedical engineering, biophyisics, or genetics would be reasonable choices. You need to look at the individual programs. Chaos theory or cybernetics might also be possibilities.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #138
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
In about 10-15 years. Bring your checkbook.
Neither my checkbook or my genetics are very impressive.

But maybe Leo has a good checkbook to go with his genetics and will let me borrow one or the other.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #139
Ken Manning

This is a tremendous thread going on here. Like probably most here, I have a long and varied (far too varied) lifting experience. This past January, I began performing the crossfit main page WODs, religiously adhering to the mnain site's schedule. Now, I was entering crossfit with a 425 deadlift and 170 OHP (just some examples). After the last couple of months of some grueling "chipper" workouts, etc, my most recent deadlift and OHP numbers were 385 and 160, respectively. I was burned out.

So, after reading through endless forums and message boards, I purchased Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Practical Programming books. I wanted my strength back. However, I also wanted the tremendous potential benefits from metcon work. And then I found this forum and Gant's hybrid program. I'm loving what I'm seeing.

I just finished reading all the posts and am going to take this week to put together a program, probably structuring the intensity scheme in accordance with Ripp's practial programming guidelines.

One quick question:

What's the best way of going about working in the metcons? Now, after reading all the posts, I understand that I should keep them short (5-10 minutes, sometimes shorter when using tabatas) and often try to use heavier versions of some of the benchmark wod's - but is there any recommendation as to which wod's would be appropriate? or is it pretty much just choose any one, modify it for the 5-10 minutes no-rest-intense paramaters and just go for it? Right now I'm thinking about something along the lines of:

(all workouts full body, beginning with oly movements moving towards strenght movements and then a wod)
monday - H + wod
tues - rest
wed - M +wod
thurs - rest
fri - H + wod
sat - L + gymnastics training (total novice here)
sun - rest

will post again when I have a more detailed program in order (exercises, sets/reps, which wods, etc...)
Ken Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #140
Joe Hart

Ken,

I have been using Greg Everett's METCONS on the CA WOD. I have also tossed in some of Coach RUT's WODs and Power Bias girls (thanks Robb)...I generally stop at 5 minutes sometimes going to 10 if I feel good. I doing the Hatch squat routine with Gant's Hybrid. Sometimes the legs are shot and 5 minutes is it. I have split the METCONs up between indoor and outdoor WODs. That will help me with planning for rainy days and the winter here in MN. I am still trying to decided what I am...(oly person that does BJJ or a BJJ that does oly)

Here is a side question for the thread...When you are doing your 5-10 minute METCONs do you kick your own ass or leave a little gas in the tank to pry your face out of your own puke. On the day before a rest day I don't leave much on the WOD table when I am done. I end up under the table as a sweaty drooling mess...

Still like it though...not as injured.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote