Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #151
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Manning View Post
Just realized I left out deadlifts. How on earth could I forget them?? I know Rip advocates only doing 1 work set/week if you're using max weights for the DL.

Perhaps I'll insert DL's on their own day - maybe Tuesday? Monday is a tough workout, but I'm trying to figure where to place them without impeding my max PR efforts on Friday.

Suggestions?
Friday. Perhaps eliminating something or at the end.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #152
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Great news on the ice cream! I'm very jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Manning View Post
Just realized I left out deadlifts. How on earth could I forget them?? I know Rip advocates only doing 1 work set/week if you're using max weights for the DL.

Perhaps I'll insert DL's on their own day - maybe Tuesday? Monday is a tough workout, but I'm trying to figure where to place them without impeding my max PR efforts on Friday.

Suggestions?
I wrote a long post earlier and lost it. I screw it up with the moderating buttons sometimes.

I basically do all those lifts every week. Gymnastics --> OLY --> strength. Three days with metcon, and one long day of pure lifting.

Weekly deadlifts (or DL assistance) is necessary. C&J is a great warmup for DL.

Don't worry about %ages, bodyweight metcon one day, strength the next. Just work the program, and your body will tell you where to go. Try to pick metcon that complements your strength program. If it's heavy but still fast you're good to go.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #153
Derek Heinonen

Excellent posts.

I'm starting my third week of my hybrid program tomorrow. I'm actually preparing for the military (either Ranger School or SFAS, haven't signed anything yet) so I probably fall outside of the intended audience, but increased strength helps everything...especially ruck-marching. My metcons are more sprint/run oriented (working on speed for the APFT) and push-up/pull-up/sit-up tabata intervals.

After 10 weeks of this, I'll probably hit up CFE for a month or so, while continuing to tabata it up.

If anything, it'll make an interesting experiment to see how increased strength + gymnastics works fairs in the military

Thanks for the information / templates.

- D
Derek Heinonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #154
Peter Dell'Orto

I'm not doing a hybrid program per se, but Gant's gotten me to add more gynmastic progressions to my workouts. I was already mixing up metcons and ME, DE and agility work, isometrics and gymnastics. But now I'm more aware of the importance of progressions of and for gymnastics, and continue to emphasize shorter metcons.

Gant's basically made me feel guilty about not doing more gymnastics, and less guilty about doing short metcons instead of chipper marathons.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 AM   #155
Ken Manning

Gymnastics movements currently make up a small percentage of my weekly training because.....they are completely new to me. When I was reading Gant's workout log, I had to google search a few of the movements he listed. Before I even think about progressions, I have to actually learn some of the movements, but am very eager to do so. Anyone know of any good sites/books or other resources that would give some instruction on how to perform some of the basic movements? And perhaps how to "progress" enough to actually include them as a training element?

Ha, just getting into a wall-supported handstand is difficult for me, but that's what my saturday workout is for.

As for my deadlifts, as per Steven's advice I'm going to include them on Friday's workout, working up to 1 heavy set of 5. I'm thinking to save a bit of time, instead of performing the press for a max, I might just add a push press to my cleans.

I'm about to go and perform today's heavy workout and I'm going to finish it with Fran, as I haven't done that one in a while. I'm sure I'll be cursing about my lack of kipping-ability! It's so sad. i can actually perform more dead hang pullups than kipping pullups, as my kipping pullups are more like "wild flailing" pullups. Can't seem to figure out the bottom transition. Got to work on those....
Ken Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #156
Steven Low
Super Moderator

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/index
http://www.drillsandskills.com/articles/
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond

+ other stuff on the sidebar.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #157
Michael Halbfish

Default Hybrid & Tabata

Gant,

How are you currently integrating your tabata results with your hybrid program?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Halbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #158
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

No. I've been been on more of a mass gain program. When I was CFing, it was easy to slip some Tabata in there that wasn't affected by a movement in the workout. When you squat, press, clean or snatch every day, it's a little more difficult to Tabata.

If you're on a regular hybrid, you can work it in after your short metcons (or use it as a short metcon one day).
Old 10-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #159
ErikHutson

Hey Gant,

I read the article on the power athletes forum but it didnt really answer my question on how to incorporate CF into a strength training program but perhaps you would answer this or someone more knowledgable could answer it.

Im not new to lifting but have decided to throw out everything I have learned from the past and start new since I am not satisfied with how I am.

My goal is to drop roughly 75 pounds (currently 255) by summer of 2009, but I dont want that skinny fat look so I want to do it right from the get-go.

Like the power forums post suggested my goals are

20+ pounds of fat loss
Be able to do 1 unassisted pullup
Do 30+ pushups in a row (good form)
Bench 225
squat 300 without belt
deadlift 350 without belt

As you can tell from my goals Im a very fat weak guy and Im tired of it! I look strong but when it comes to lifts im as weak as a mouse. My goals are listed in that order, so my top 2 are being able to complete a pullup and drop the fat.

Im in no rush to complete all these in a year as I know it might not be possible but I am wondering what your advice would be to start developing overall great strength, should I just stick to CF for a few months then start working on the bench/squat/dead goals or do a hybrid of SS/CF to begin. With all this information Im just confused on how to develope such a program due to CF's intensity.
ErikHutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #160
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yes, it does.

Strength train.
Then conditioning (which is crossfit).

So do a couple lifts working on strength such as 3x5 or 8x3 or whatever. Then do a short CF/conditioning/HIIT/tabata/whatever.

Simple as that. However, according to your goals this is NOT what you should be doing.

------------------------------------

Weight loss = diet.

You need to mostly work on strength for those goals. You should probably do a linear progression. What are your lift numbers?