Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #161
ErikHutson

my diet is sound, as Ive been following a paleo'isk type lifestyle with the added brown rice as the only real carb source, which I limit to 1-2 servings of per day.

My lifts are pathetic I have not done these lifts consistantly in years and when I initally lost about 100 pounds I did alot of bw training and little focus on weights.

Bench - 135
Squat - 225
Deadlift - 250

The thing I like about CF is that its in and out, and I have only been doing it for about a week but I like how short it is because I dont have an hour a day to spend in the gym.
ErikHutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #162
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I see. Gant's program probably fits you pretty well then. Carry on.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #163
ErikHutson

So back to my question, based on my goals would doing a ss/cf hybrid work or should I stick to CF for a few months to gain good functional strength and then advance to a hybrid.

I use to lift for 2 years straight using Different routines and was up to 4 day splits at one point so Im hoping getting back into hardcore lifting would get some muscle memory back since ive been off for a year.

My routine would consist of this, please leave some feedback

Mon- CF
Tues- SS
Wed- rest
Thurs- CF
Fri-CF
Sat-SS
Sun-rest
Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #164
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikHutson View Post
So back to my question, based on my goals would doing a ss/cf hybrid work or should I stick to CF for a few months to gain good functional strength and then advance to a hybrid.

I use to lift for 2 years straight using Different routines and was up to 4 day splits at one point so Im hoping getting back into hardcore lifting would get some muscle memory back since ive been off for a year.

My routine would consist of this, please leave some feedback

Mon- CF
Tues- SS
Wed- rest
Thurs- CF
Fri-CF
Sat-SS
Sun-rest
If you want strength then train mainly strength and do a couple CF WODs per week. Strength and power will help you way more at the CF WODs then doing the WODs and expecting gains. Plus your numbers are low, so you need to hit it hard with more rest. You also need to eat like a man on death row. Make an hour in the gym, you have it, you just haven't worked your time for it.

This would work better IMHO:

Mon- SS
Tues- SS + 10 min CF WOD
Wed- rest
Thurs- SS
Fri- SS + 10 min CF WOD
Sat- rest/skill work
Sun- rest

or

Mon- SS
Tues- 10 min CF WOD
Wed- SS
Thurs- 10 min CF WOD
Fri- SS
Sat- rest/skill work
Sun- rest

This thread may help you as well: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...rting+strength
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #165
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Erik, there are a lot of things at work here. It's impossible to know everything that's going on from a couple posts on the Internet, so forgive me if this seems blunt.

You're a novice. You're a novice lifter, and you're a novice eater. And that's good news!

Anything will work for you, SS, CF, a hybrid, Steve's stuff, George's stuff. You could do a Nautilus circuit and improve because you haven't begun to maximize your linear gain potential. Two years of lifting with one year off is not enough time to build a strength base. You will start anew.

If you're asking me, I'd say go SS. It's simple, it's effective, and it will improve your strength to bodyweight ratio faster than anything else will. Since you'll only be training 3 times per week, you'll have extra time to read about nutrition (if you have 20 pounds of fat to lose, your diet is more "-ish" than Paleo), think about your goals, and get some ideas for programming. Add in a short metcon session in week 4, another in week 7, and a third in week 10.

You really have to be able to make sense of this stuff before you apply it to your situation. Get rid of this training ADD. Pick a program, start from the beginning, and move straight ahead. Pick something and stick with it for 12 weeks.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #166
ErikHutson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Erik, there are a lot of things at work here. It's impossible to know everything that's going on from a couple posts on the Internet, so forgive me if this seems blunt.

You're a novice. You're a novice lifter, and you're a novice eater. And that's good news!

Anything will work for you, SS, CF, a hybrid, Steve's stuff, George's stuff. You could do a Nautilus circuit and improve because you haven't begun to maximize your linear gain potential. Two years of lifting with one year off is not enough time to build a strength base. You will start anew.

If you're asking me, I'd say go SS. It's simple, it's effective, and it will improve your strength to bodyweight ratio faster than anything else will. Since you'll only be training 3 times per week, you'll have extra time to read about nutrition (if you have 20 pounds of fat to lose, your diet is more "-ish" than Paleo), think about your goals, and get some ideas for programming. Add in a short metcon session in week 4, another in week 7, and a third in week 10.

You really have to be able to make sense of this stuff before you apply it to your situation. Get rid of this training ADD. Pick a program, start from the beginning, and move straight ahead. Pick something and stick with it for 12 weeks.
EXCELLENT advice Gant, I do have ADD when it comes to working out.

I initally weighed 300 pounds but dropped to around 185 last year and after an injury gained half of the weight I lost back. So I know a little about nutrition but not as much as I would like to .

Im also going to be taking BJJ In january so I think I will take your advice and do SS and work on Metcons until switching over to more CF in January for BJJ

When picking out the Metcon's how short should I work for? 5-10min? also, should I incorporate these inbetween my SS session or do them same day?

thanks for all the advice Im looking forward to all my new gains in strength
Old 10-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #167
Anton Emery

Erik,

I am on Week 3 of Starting Strength and can't recommend it enough. If i were you i might think about just doing that and no met con's for a while. Be conservative with your starting weights so you don't get stuck quickly, add weight to the bar every workout, and eat alot. You can always get back to your Met Con's later. Plus when you start BJJ the extra strength will help. And you'll get a decent conditioning benefit from just grappling. I do BJJ as well, and have just been rolling a few times a week in addition to SS. My conditioning is not quite as good due to all the food i have been shoveling in, but its good enough.

I think if you get alot stronger and then go back to CF you will notice a big improvement.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #168
Kris Fischer

Okay, so I'm ready to try out some hybrid-ing.

I need to tweak Grant's novice template a bit to account for schedule and equipment and I'd really appreciate some feedback. I'm not too smart on programming yet and donít want to screw up a good thing.

I have full gym access on M,T,W,R (basically a globo, no platforms or bumpers or anything cool).
On alternating F & Sat, I can work out in a small gym with limited equipment (no rack, basically just barbell with limited weights and some dumbbells).

Looking at Grant's novice template, I can't really do any of the days in the small gym. Because of lack of weights, the only listed exercises I could try and do are P-Sn, Press, OHS (I have enough weight to work 3x5 in these, but not for long). I can put together some WODs in this gym though (limited b/c no pull up bar, limited weights, etc.)

I guess the programming questions are:

* What days of the week should I train? Better to do MTW (F or Sat) or MTR (F or S)? Or possibly alternate weekly based on my alternating F/Sat?

* What exercises should I do when? Does the order of Grant's "days" matter? If I just do skill work/WOD on the F/Sat days, should I add on exercises to the three weekdays I'll be training or just drop a lift or two? What can I drop besides OHS? Or should I rearrange the days and do the lifts I can on F/Sat days?

* Am I completely overthinking this and should I just shut up and train??
Kris Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #169
Gavin Harrison

Kris,

The order of the days in Gant's program is significant only within the context of the program. For instance, BS->OHS->FS/DL->OFF->BS, the OHS squat day and FS is most likely to allow for enough recovery for the DLs on W and BS again on Friday. If you can only go to the gym 3 days/week you might just want to do whatever you feel like in that time, lift heavy, etc, and on the other days do body weight strength / metcon work, one legged squats, push up variations, gymnastic progressions, pull ups, etc. Just experiment, use the time you have in and out of the gym to try to figure out what works for you. If you're doing a lot of BW stuff out of the gym, you might want to focus on pulling at lot in the gym (DL/Rows/Cleans/Pull Ups/etc), since outside of the gym it's often easier to find a place to push (the ground) than pull (a bar) yourself. But make sure you're squatting, benching, and pressing in the gym, as well..
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #170
Kris Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
The order of the days in Gant's program is significant only within the context of the program.
Good point Gavin, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
do body weight strength / metcon work, one legged squats, push up variations, gymnastic progressions, pull ups, etc.
Good idea about bw strength moves too, thanks.

Ok, so this is what I'm thinking about (stolen mostly from Gant's answer to a similar q in the sister thread on crossfit):

M: FL, HPC (5x2), BS (3x5), WOD
T: HS, PC (5x2), FS (3x5), DL (3x5), weighted pullups (3x5)
R: FL, Press (3x5), PSn (5x2), BS (3x5), WOD
F (or S): HS, long cycle c&j (with DB?) (4-6 mins), light to moderate metcon (7-20) mins

Warming up, then doing the same weight each set (as opposed to working up). Going up 5lbs each week until stalling then mess w/ sets and reps.
That sound about right?
Kris Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote