Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Gene Williams

Thumbs up Geno 2.0 - We Can Rebuild Him

Hi,

I've been lurking here and the Crossfit site for quite some time. I have spent some time with a Crossfit trainer during the winter of 2006 and spring of 2007 (Mike Latch at Valley CrossFit in Los Angeles - highly recommended), but never maintained the discipline and toughness to continue. I've decided enough excuses; it is time for a change.

Stats:
Height: 6'-3"
Weight: 245lbs
BF%: 25-30% (estimate)
Excess weight is primarily bad diet and drinking.

Goals:
Weight: 220lbs
BF%: 12-15%
When I clean up and start a program I usually drop 12-15 fast. Maintaining the lifestyle change is the higher goal.

I am planning working towards a scuba certification in August so my main focus is metcon workouts Sun-Tue-Thur with strength workouts on Mon-Wed-Fri to add some muscle mass. This is a lot but I am working into it slowly and careful not to over-train. I've done that enough times to know it will discourage me and throw me off the plan for quite some time.

Diet is Paleo-ish. I find it easy to avoid processed foods. I just need to stay away from the alcohol and the fast food runs that accompany it. I know the triggers and the pattern. Intermittent Fasting appeals to me as well, I've been doing it without knowing it for years.

Now to the log:

Sunday 06/01: 7:30AM
Metcon w/Kettlebells

For Rounds, one minute rest between rounds
  • One-Arm 16kg KB Swing each arm
  • One-Arm 16kg KB Clean each arm
  • One-Arm 16kg KB High Pull each arm
  • One-Arm 16kg KB Snatch each arm
I was hoping for 10 rounds, but only managed 5. Will push through additional rounds! I really enjoy kettlebells for some reason. I own a pair of 16kg and a single 24kg and 32kg.

Biggest mistake was ignoring PWO meal and having a large cup of black coffee an hour later. My heart was pounding and my head felt tight and spinning until I ate around 12:30pm.

Monday 06/02: 6:00PM
Strength Routine. Basics

Squat 5 x 5 x 135
Bench 5 x 5 x 135
Deadlift 5 x 5 x 135

I can lift heavier but was focusing on form. Squats were below parallel.

Thanks,

Geno

Last edited by Gene Williams : 06-03-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add age
Gene Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Williams View Post

I am planning working towards a scuba certification in August so my main focus is metcon workouts Sun-Tue-Thur with strength workouts on Mon-Wed-Fri to add some muscle mass. This is a lot but I am working into it slowly and careful not to over-train. I've done that enough times to know it will discourage me and throw me off the plan for quite some time.
Welcome to the forum.

What will your strength template be like? 5x5 for 3 exercises 3 days a week? What will your exercise selection be?

Also what metcon's will you be doing? Short(under 10 minutes), medium (10-20), or long (30+)?

What will you be doing training wise for the scuba cert? Laps?

If your ultimate goal is fat loss, which it seems to be, it seems silly to be trying to add muscle mass, which of course it can be done but it can be achieved much faster if your single goal is fat loss. IMO a person would be better served to getting a desirable bodyfat% and then trying to add muscle from there while trying to maintain your bodyfat%.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Gene Williams

Hello Allen,

Thank you for your response. Any expertise is helpful.

Quote:
What will your strength template be like? 5x5 for 3 exercises 3 days a week? What will your exercise selection be?
My strength template will likely remain the 5x5 program using the basic exercises; squat, bench, press, dead lift, cleans. I am not using ME weights; I am trying to just maintain the muscle mass I have while concentrating on form and working on leaning out.

Quote:
Also what metcon's will you be doing? Short(under 10 minutes), medium (10-20), or long (30+)?
I will try to vary the metcons as I increase my work capacity. At 3 days a week on metcons I thought I'd try 1 short, 1 medium, and 1 long.

I considered a 4 day metcon - 2 day strength program.

Quote:
What will you be doing training wise for the scuba cert? Laps?
Regarding swimming, that will probably consist of laps at the local pool in a month or so.

Geno
Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Derek Simonds

Like Allen said welcome to the forums.

I just got back in the pool after a while without swimming. Swimming can be a fabulous met-con, especially with it being specific to your scuba cert. Several of the guys I have trained with swam laps with their snorkel to get used to breathing through the mouth.

Your program looks solid just make sure you are taking the time for recovery.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Gene Williams

Tuesday 06/03: 5:30PM
Metcon w/Kettlebells

Round 1:

24kg 20 Two-Arm Swings
16kg 20 One-Arm Clean (10R/10L)
16kg 20 One-Arm High Pull (10R/10L)
16kg 20 One-Arm Snatch (10R/10L)

rest 2 minutes

Round 2:

24kg 20 Two-Arm Swings
16kg 20 Alternating One-Arm Clean (R/L - 10 each)
16kg 20 Alternating One-Arm High Pull (R/L - 10 each)
16kg 20 Alternating One-Arm Snatch (R/L - 10 each)

Total Time: 14 minutes

Diet today was blown due to early afternoon dental appointment. PWO meal was solid, I think: 1 lb baked Opakapaka fish and steamed vegetables, about 40 minutes later.

Meal planning needs major work.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Gene Williams

Post 06-04-2008

Wednesday 06/04: 6:15PM
Strength Routine. Basics.

Squat 1x10x135 warmup; followed by 5x5x155.
Bench 1x10x135 warmup; followed by 3x5x155 and 2x5x135.

2 minutes rest between sets.

Benching is a problem for me as I have long arms (38" sleeve). I am hoping KB/DB Snatch work will assist in strengthening that chain.

Diet was clean. No alcohol.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Gene Williams

Post 06/07/08

Saturday 06/07: 1:30PM
Strength: Basics

Squat
1x10x45
1x10x135
5x5x185
1x12X95

Squats were below parallel. Right hip and knee were a bit tight with a 'pinching' feeling after the first two heavier sets.

Bench
1x10x45
1x10x95
5x5x155
1x10x45

Was also planning to Deadlift but low right back and hip were a problem.

Did not workout Thursday due to evening commitment, and fell off the wagon Friday night.

Back on focus now.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Gene Williams

Default 06/10/08

Tuesday, 6/10/08: 05:30AM
Metcon w/Kettlebells

5 reps 16kb One-Arm KB Swings (each arm)
5 reps 16kb One-Arm KB Cleans(each arm)
5 reps 16kb One-Arm KB High Pulls (each arm)
5 reps 16kb One-Arm KB Snatch (each arm)

90 seconds rest between rounds. Completed 6 rounds in about 25 minutes.

I am switching from the 3x week metcon mixed with 3x week basic strength training (squats, etc) in a 6 day cycle to a 4x week metcon mixed with 2x week strength program, with a day off in between each 3 day cycle. This will hopefully give my lower back more rest and recovery time.

Diet has been clean. Avoiding nightshades. Laying off the hooch.

There has been no measurable body weight loss (still at 245 pounds), but after 10 days I already feel better.

Geno
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Gene Williams

Default 06/11/08

Wednesday, 6/11/08: 05:30AM
Metcon w/Kettlebells

3 minute rounds each of

16kg KB Swings
16kg KB Snatches

90 seconds rest between rounds. Completed only one round. Lower back stiffened up and I was not focused on the workout - the second round of snatches was pounding my forearms as my form was off.

Perhaps another round or two this evening, plus some planks for core work. Those should help the low back; I have no previous disc injuries or such.

Oddly enough I have lost 5 pounds since yesterday. Surely a scale malfunction.

Geno
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Gene Williams

Default 06/12/08

Wednesday, 06/12/08: 05:00 AM
Strength Day: Basics (still)

Squat
1x20xBW
1x10x135
5x5x185
1x20xBW

Bench
1x10x95
5x5x155
1x25x35 (DB)

90 seconds rest between sets

I am happy I was able to move my schedule from the evening to the early morning. This was the biggest challenge. I obviously feel more energy and feel stronger.

Squats are quickly improving; time to bump up the weight. Bench is slower to come along (long arms). I also need to add Deadlifts back in and start on Cleans.

Geno