Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Matt Cricchio

Default Training with injury

I suffered a fracture in my right schaphoid (wrist). After a month in plaster I thought it was all healed up but I went in for x-rays yesterday and it is still fractured. I am going to be in a cast for at least another month until my next check-up.

What should I do? I want to train again and as hard as possible.

You guys got any ideas? Someone want to help me craft a program?
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Welcome back, sorry to hear about the injury.

You can still train your un-injured arm/half of the body. As well as various lower body movements that do't require 2 hands. Such as pistols, BW squats/lunges, hip belt squats.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do some strength work with your uninjured arm. Maybe like one arm DB press or DB bench or something like that.

And what Allen said. Try air squats but if you can't do those without much pain try working pistols, lunges and other stuff that you can do.

Basically, we want to do some strength work to help maintain strength in the injured parts of your body.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Basically, we want to do some strength work to help maintain strength in the injured parts of your body.

Okay, how do we set that up? 5 on 2 off? 5X5 rep scheme? I can sprint and I would like to throw that in somewhere.

I hope to put together a working training schedule with some ideas we can hash out.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
Okay, how do we set that up? 5 on 2 off? 5X5 rep scheme? I can sprint and I would like to throw that in somewhere.

I hope to put together a working training schedule with some ideas we can hash out.
I'm not sure I wold put anything that aggressive right out the door. You of course know your body much better than we do., As well as the things you need to prepare for.

Why don't you throw your ideas up here and we'll pick it apart and figure out what'd be a good idea?

A few questions:
-Have you been pretty inactive the past past month since you came back?
-Are you looking for just strength ideas? Or a mixture of what metcon you can with your wrist like that?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Matt Cricchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Why don't you throw your ideas up here and we'll pick it apart and figure out what'd be a good idea?

Well,

I was hurt pretty bad so I was forced to be inactive. My knee works resonably well now so I have been trying to walk and sprint as much as possible. That's as far as I've gone so far.

I would like to do both strength and met-con. Obviously we are going to use DB's, KB's, and one arm variations here.

So far I have split everything into categories from weightlifting, bodyweight movements, sprints, jumping, and throwing. In these categories I have written the movements I CAN do with modifications. I've assigned a number to each movement and given mon-fri a workout template (chipper, couplet, ladder, etc). Then I alternate doing BW, WL, J, or S movements matching up the number that I have assigned the movements.

In other words, on Monday I am going to do a couplet with a 21-15-9 rep scheme. I will do one Weightlifting movement and one Body Weight movement. When I go to my list of movements I am going to do those under each category that have been randomly assigned the number 1. On the next monday I will be doing those that are next in the sequence.

I hope this doesn't sound complicated. I'm reaching here.

I still would love to hear everyones ideas.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Low Intensity aka Low Level aka "Cold" Laser Therapy (LILT) has good research behind it on bone healing, this link is a few of the studies.

The doctor I bought my laser practice from healed his wife's hand with a nearly same situation to yours. It takes some focused attention (like maybe 20 treatments in a month's time), but it could be very worth it to you. Wrists/hands are hard to heal, don't hesitate in getting it taken care of.

If you'd like to find a practitioner in your area who uses the same equipment I do (and I can even tell this person the settings I'd suggest), go to www.meditech-bioflex.com .

As for your training, there are better folks to answer. If it hurts (your wrist), don't do it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Derek Weaver

You may want to check this Dan John article out from T-Nation (not quite WFS if that matters) http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf...ll_workout&cr=

Good luck.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Maybe one or two sets of 3-5 RM with the UN-injured limbs for strength work.

edit: oops, typos

Last edited by Steven Low : 06-09-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Allen Yeh

I would hesitate in making things too complicated too fast. Simple is better especially if you are just getting back to 80-90% of healthy. You have a little less than a year before you can even be considered right? I would not try to rush things and do too many things at once. That's not to say I'm advocating doing nothing. Randomness has it's time and place but so does a good program which do work.

I know your ultimate goal is to be ready to go back in a year but I think there needs to be mini-goals set before then. For example...This 8 weeks, train around injury as best possible, trying to maximize conditioning. Next 8 weeks rehab injured hand + maintain conditioning but upping running capacity. Next 8-12 weeks Strength with the goal of getting back to a good base.....etc