Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Timothy Holmes

Default Tim's Workout Log - Decathlon Training

Hi all!

Starting a log here because I'll probably need feedback on my training and the CA WOD. I'll give you all the low-down on previous training. This is going to be pretty long... Here we go...

I joined the Monash uni gym in a my second year. I followed the CFHQ WOD for a while (March-November 2007), but stopped almost all exercise because I decided to work all summer so that I could pay for this year's uni fees. I haven't gotten back into it proper training, mainly due to lack of motivation and inconsistency.

In April, encouraged by Peter Trapp (of Crossfit Victoria, Australia - mentor and coach), I entered a club decathlon. With very little track & field training and terrible technique, I won (!) with a score of 4124. I didn't have a sport at the time (not even fitness), so I decided to give this a go.

My aim is 5600 (Nationals qualifier) at the State Champs very late this year or very early next year.

I now only train twice at the Club (Tuesday - Running/Long Jump/High Jump/Masters' Competition, Sunday - Pole Vault/Discus) because it is off-season/winter. I plan on doing at least 3 running sessions and 2 throwing sessions by myself. And there is conditioning...

I have a bit more than 6 months, so the focus at the moment is GPP (strength and power, in particular). I was thinking of following ME Blackbox, but I'll probably go with the CA WOD, for now at least. Robb's Power Bias articles have some interesting and relevant ideas too.

I'm nursing a bit of an acute back injury - costo-transverse (?) joint sprain, due to decreased scapula stability. I working on it. My serratus anterior on the left is tiny compared to the right...

So, on to the stats:
20, 5'9", 71kg/156#

Recent PRs:
C&J - 75 kg
Snatch - 62.5 kg
OHS - 4 reps @ 65 kg

Clearly, I'm not very strong and I need to be.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to IF and still get enough calories in to me. I'll try it and see how I go. I'm starting today to take a bunch of supplements recommended to me: creatine (PWO & PM), omega 3 (with meals), zinc complex (AM) and magnesium (PM).

I would really love any suggestions on what I should be doing...

(By the way, I have a presently current training on the CFV forum but it's down at the moment.)
Timothy Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Timothy Holmes

Monday - Gym

Warmup: run to gym (800m), 2 rounds (10 o-bar OHS, SS, 16 GHD SU, 16 BE, 10 kipping pullups, 10 pushups)

WOD - CA 071001 (I'm starting from the start because I didn't really want to start midway through a cycle)

Back Squat (rx was 75%x3x5, but didn't know my max, so went for 1RM):
5x50kg, 3x60, 1x75, 1x85, 1x95 (it was past parallel but I don't have full ROM yet)

Snatch Deadlift (3x3)
3x50kg, 3x60kg, 3x70kg

Push Press (5x3)
3x40kg, 3x50, 3x55, 3x60 (f-2), 3x55

TGU Situps (30%BWx5/sidex3, misread or something - I did 5x5...)
5x5x20kg (R,L)

Pullups (3 x max, should have kept the same grip...)
11 (pullup), 8 (R-under,L-over - PV grip), 8 (reverse PV grip)

Rest was between 2.5' and 3'. Workout was still a far bit longer than an hour...
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Allen Yeh

Talk about needing to be good at everything!

A couple of questions:
-So will you be doing 3 running and 2 throwing sessions on top of your 2 days of event training? Will you be following the CA WOD using the exact template given or will you be modifiying it to your needs?
-What type of things aggravate your injury? What type of things are you doing for rehab?
-I don't know that you need a lot of GPP? It seems like you will be doing a ton of stuff already with your event training and running?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Timothy Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Talk about needing to be good at everything!

A couple of questions:
-So will you be doing 3 running and 2 throwing sessions on top of your 2 days of event training? Will you be following the CA WOD using the exact template given or will you be modifiying it to your needs?
-What type of things aggravate your injury? What type of things are you doing for rehab?
-I don't know that you need a lot of GPP? It seems like you will be doing a ton of stuff already with your event training and running?
Exactly. How do I fit it all in?

The physio told me to stretch my upper back and gave two pilates-type
exercises. I've also been doing scapula rows and pushups. The only thing that seems to aggravate it is rope climbing. That, and javelin... So, for now it will only be one other throwing day.

I'll need to modify the CA WOD soon because it will most likely become too much. I was planning on doing it in the morning then event-specific training in the afternoon.

Monday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Tuesday - CAWOD (am), training at track (pm)
Wednesday - CAWOD (am), throwing (pm)
Thursday - rest
Friday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Saturday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Sunday - training at the track (am)

Pretty full week. It's unlikely I'll be able to get to the metcon if I don't do it straight after. I guess isn't really necessary with all the other stuff I'm doing, like you say. I like to incorporate some gymnastics for pole vault. Maybe in my warmup?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Timothy Holmes

Monday - Track

Warmup: 2x400m

Sprint drills over 2x20m.

5x150m, walk back
7x100m, walk back

Cool down: 1x400m

Stretching (yeah, I know, but I really need to it)
hip flexor, butterfly, hip extensor, hip extensor/abductor, hurdler, quads, hamstring, split, split-turn to the side, front split, floor split, gastroc, soleus, shin, rear delt, chest, front delt, lats, tricep, bicep

I'll use this as my short stretching routine. Takes about 30 minutes.

Monday - Food
apple,
beef mince, carrot, kale, tomato, olive oil, cashews
rollled oats, apple, coconut, walnuts
seafood soup (gemfish, scallop, prawn, tomato, zucchini, onion, garlic, olive oil)

Supplements
AM - 1 x Zn tablets, 2 x Ω3 tablets
PM - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 6g Mg powder, 10g creatine
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Timothy Holmes

Tuesday - Gym

CA WOD 071002

Warmup: 2 rounds (15 o-bar OHS, SS, 16 GHD SU, 16 BE, 8/0 kipping pullups, 10/0 pushups), Burgener warmup

Muscle Snatch (3x3)
3x40kg, 3x45, 3x50

Hang Power Snatch (5x2)
3x2x40kg, 2x2x45

Metcon
3 rounds:
10 box jumps (~24")
20 cross chops (18kg DB)

3:47 - Didn't go out hard enough, I've got a habit of holding back so that I can go the distance. Couldn't get the box jumps out consecutively, maybe too heavy for chops. Pretty cool little workout.

Afterwards - Planche & front lever progressions
Frog stand (7x4"-13")
Tuck front lever (3x20")
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Steve Rogers

Welcome aboard! It'll be interesting to see how this works for your decathlon preparation.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
The physio told me to stretch my upper back and gave two pilates-type
exercises. I've also been doing scapula rows and pushups. The only thing that seems to aggravate it is rope climbing. That, and javelin... So, for now it will only be one other throwing day.
Does what he gave you seem to be helping?
Quote:

I'll need to modify the CA WOD soon because it will most likely become too much. I was planning on doing it in the morning then event-specific training in the afternoon.

Monday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Tuesday - CAWOD (am), training at track (pm)
Wednesday - CAWOD (am), throwing (pm)
Thursday - rest
Friday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Saturday - CAWOD (am), running (pm)
Sunday - training at the track (am)

Pretty full week. It's unlikely I'll be able to get to the metcon if I don't do it straight after. I guess isn't really necessary with all the other stuff I'm doing, like you say. I like to incorporate some gymnastics for pole vault. Maybe in my warmup?
I'm glad you came to the conclusion as well because looking at your schedule I was thinking there is no way a person could do the full CA WOD on top of 3x a week, event training 2x a week and throwing once a week. I would most definitely cut the metcons out, it seems like you are doing plenty already.

I almost forgot to ask what is your proficiency with the lifts? You have to do SPP but SPP for 10 different things. Which really makes this a challenge.

What else wil you be doing for recovery?

Stretching- I see you have stretching in there, anything else? I think that is pretty necessary on top of other recovery methods.

Soft Tissue work- I would place soft tissue work a huge one in there as well. Anything like foam rolling, massage, tennis/lacrosse ball rolling, something that may be of use for your injury area would be taking some of those paper dixie cups and filling them with water and freezing it, then take the paper off once it's frozen and use that to roll your affected area, I've used this one a few of my injuries and it works pretty well.

Icing/cold - Ice baths I've heard work wonders but alas I've never had the opportunity, I do do the contrast shower thing though and it seems to help.

See how you do with IF, I think you may end up having to drop it due to not being able to pull in enough calories, unless you want to go to the liquid meals option in addition to your solid meals.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
Timothy Holmes

Thanks, Steve. I'm hoping for great results.

All great suggestions. Thanks, Allen.

The exercises seem to help, especially the ones focussing on pushing the scapula 'around' with serratus. The TGU SU's worked this too. There's almost no pain when stretching now but more rehab needs to be done before I can start throwing the javelin again.

I really like the ice rolling idea. I will try that soon. The stretching in my log last night was followed by about 25 minutes of rolling on a piece of PVC. It's not foam, but it does the job.

The only stretching I'm currently is what you saw 4-5x week. I don't think it is really adequate actually. Maybe I should stretch nightly even if is for only 10-15 minutes, maybe before I go to bed each night. No access to a bath, but I will try the showers. Any guidelines for how cold/hot and times?

IF doesn't seem likely. I'm probably not eating enough as it is. Time to start measuring sh*t out.

I'm going to drop at least one CA WOD per week. I'm thinking Wednesday, since Tuesday is a pretty big day. Do you think this will take care of my strength/conditioning needs? Perhaps more deadlifting would be helpful...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
Timothy Holmes

Tuesday - Track

Warmup: 2x400m, light stretching

Sprint drills
4x100m

Long jump (unfortunately, no coach): hitch-kick progressions, pop ups.
(tweaked left hip flexor a little. icing it now.)

Meal break

Warmup: 2x400m, light stretching, short sprints (~3x20m)

Masters' Competition
90m: 10.62 (equivalent to a sub-11.8 100m)

High Jump: 1-step, 3-step, 5-step, full jumps, up to 1.60m

Back flips into the high jump pit to finish.

Tuesday - Other
Sleep - 6 + 1.5 nap. ends a week of 9+ hours per day. I wish I kept a log of it.

Food:
apple
rolled oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, natural yoghurt
beef mince, brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrot, olive oil
duck eggs, tomato, apple, brazil nuts

Supplements:
AM - 2 x Zn tablets, 3 x Ω3 tablets, 7g creatine
PM - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 7g creatine