Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

-PVC is fine, although be careful because there is such thing as too much of a good thing when it comes to SMR.

RE: Stretching
-Add it in there and see if it helps, I do my stretching just part of my daily routine but then again my training volume is nothing at all like yours!

RE: Contrast showers
-There are typically suggestions for 2 hot/1 cold and repeat 3+ times ending on cold as long as you get a couple of intervals of it I wouldn't worry about if you had 1 minute of cold of 3 minutes. I will stretch when I'm doing these sometimes as a way of keeping time. For example:
turn the water to cold and do a 30 second calf stretch on each leg, turn it to hot and do 2x 30 seconds stretch on my lats....etc I'm sure you get the idea.

RE: IF
IF doesn't seem like a good option when you are doing so much you'd be trying to scarf down 3000-4000 cals a day in a short window. Perhaps IF'ing 1-3 times a week just to change things up but definitely not an every day thing.

Drop things as you see necessary of course, my suggestions are general and trying to help as best I can without having done it myself or trained people who have done a decatholon. Scott has some good nuggets of information here for his sprint prep: http://www.modernforager.com/blog/20...dietary-needs/

RE: Strength
The conditioning part seems to be taken care of with all your other stuff, the real question is is Oly what you should be focusing on as opposed to more convetional lifting squats/deadlifts/presses...etc. My feeling is yes, but hopefully Greg E. or Dave V. will have a little more insight here. I know heavy pulling just tears me up so I would not think that is a good addition to all this other stuff. Focusing on the pulls from the Oly lifts may be aall you need.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
Timothy Holmes

Left hip flexor/adductor sore to stretch. Doesn't give me problems when I'm running though. Iced it throughout the day.

Right shin/calf hurting. Possibly an onset of shins splints.

Training
No training today. Definitely don't regret the rest, yesterday cut me down. I'll catch up what I missed tomorrow, I think.

Sleep
9 hours, fair quality.

Food & Supplements
apple, oats, coconut, almonds, yoghurt
3 x Zn tablets, 3 x Ω3 tablets, 7g creatine
beef, mushrooms, olive oil
2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 7g creatine

Felt a bit nauseous after taking the AM supplements. Might be a side effect of the creatine.
Timothy Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #13
Timothy Holmes

Thanks for the pointing me towards modernforager.com.

That's a great article and website. I'm going to read it more thoroughly.

I don't know how to listen to my body. I'll try and document absolutely everything in my log so that if anything goes wrong (like a certain strained hip) I can trace it back. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but it definitely won't hurt.

IF might be an option. Scott says he is eating ~3000 cals. I might be able to do the same, I might need more. Also, I'm going Paleo... as soon as I've finished my yoghurt and oats...

I really need to plan out my workouts. I haven't exactly done this. My last running workout was 1500m of 100/150. That's too much I suspect. I don't find out when the club meets and championships are for a while yet, but I can get a rough idea from the previous years. I've read that most decathletes train hard for 2 weeks, then have 1 week at 50%. So if I include this week, I have ~30 weeks for 10 cycles.

I've attached spreadsheet. I have no idea about the exercises and programming on teh right of the event training. I just guessed and put what looked good, trying to keep volume low.

I crave feedback!
Attached Files
File Type: zip trainingplan.zip (6.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Timothy Holmes : 06-11-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling & attachment...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Timothy Holmes

Here's access to the attached via Google Docs: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...QZZdYYLA&hl=en

Thursday - Gym

Warmup: 600m row, Burgener warmup

Front Squats, handstand holds between sets
5x3x57.5kg (used BSQ max * 0.8 for FSQ max)

Clean Pulls
3x67.5, 3x70, 3x75

Jerk BTN
2x60, 2x2x70 (alternated legs)

First time doing clean pulls. Are these just pulling the weight from the floor (deadlift) and then jumping with the weight in one motion?

First doing jerks from behind the neck. I had trouble lowering the weight back down.

I dropped the weight after each set and one of skinny/fat gym attendants came over and very unprofessionally told me to stop making so much noise. Whatevs.

'Metcon'
3 x 15/side x 20kg one-arm DB swings, for time, 3' rest: 1.27, 1.09, 1.05
2 x (15 GHD SU, 15 BE, 20 Windshield Wipers), walked through.
2 x 20 kipping pull ups, for time, 3' rest: 0.35, 0.45
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
Allen Yeh

You want to do clean pulls exactly like you would a clean and not turn it into a fast deadlift. You may jump a little but it's discouraged because the intent really isn't to jump on a clean the intent is to move your feet fast to reposition them for the catch. In the clean pull there is no repositioning of the feet so often you pull from the gorund and come up with a fast shrug and you may come up on your toes slightly due to pulling hard not due to trying to come up on your toes. Does that make any sense?

If you haven't seen this video. it's worth a look.
http://www.cathletics.com/resources/...&exerciseID=98
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #16
Timothy Holmes

Oh, that totally clears it up. You've just put a different perspective on the clean for me.

So, the shrug happens before the feet have left the ground (I think). Does that mean I should be strong enough to shrug/power shrug the weight I can clean/pull?

Thursday - Stretching
Did lots of stretching focusing on the hamstrings and soleus since I can't squat low enough. Even my front squat isn't very far below parallel, if any.

Weighted hamstring stretch (RDL w/7.5kg)
Soleus stretch on a block
Deep squat holding door frame

Thursday - Shot Put
Warmup - 1x400yd., push ups, shoulder rotations

2 x (10 overhead backwards, 10 underarm forwards, 5 overhead forwards)
2 x 2 overhead backwards
2 x 2 underarm forwards

6 x standing throws (2 with reverse)

First few throws felt great. Was going for a few more, but technique started to fall apart so I stopped then. (I need a coach!)
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Holmes View Post
Oh, that totally clears it up. You've just put a different perspective on the clean for me.

So, the shrug happens before the feet have left the ground (I think). Does that mean I should be strong enough to shrug/power shrug the weight I can clean/pull?
Greg has a really good piece in the PM journal's that really helpd things. Of course nothing beats in-person instruction. BTW other coaches will go with different methods. Some encourage the jump, some encourage the stomp...etc I've found what works best for me is trying one way and sticking with it for a bit before possibly modifying.

The feet leave the ground as a result of the upward force.

You should be able to shrug/power shrug more than you can clean pull, because the ROM is smaller. Another thing is to make sure you try to keep the shrug fast.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Holmes View Post
Thursday - Stretching
Did lots of stretching focusing on the hamstrings and soleus since I can't squat low enough. Even my front squat isn't very far below parallel, if any.

Weighted hamstring stretch (RDL w/7.5kg)
Soleus stretch on a block
Deep squat holding door frame
How is your ankle flexibility/mobility? That is a limiting factor as well.

A good stretch here is to sink into a deep squat and then shift from side to side leaning slightly forwardtoward the direction of your toes.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Timothy Holmes

Ankle mobility is good, but I'll add that exercise to the bedtime routine because it feels like it would help everything squat depth related.

Thursday - Summary
Food (shi*tloads):
3 apples
360+g smoked cod (not eating that again), spinach, capsicum, almonds, olive oil
rendang alsi (beef, kale, sweet potato, coconut, coconut cream, ginger, lime, garlic...)

Supplements:
AM - 5g Mg (took the wrong one), 3 x Ω3, 7g creatine
PM - 2 x Zn, 2 x Ω3, 7g creatine

Got extremely nauseous from the creatine. Not taking it today (Friday).

Sleep: 7.5 (no nap, grr)

Friday - Gym
Warmup: run to gym, Burgener WU

Hang Power Clean + Push Jerk, ~2.5' rest
4x(2+2)x40kg, (2+2)x60, (2+2)x70

Snatch Balance
2x2x20kg, 2x2x40 (didn't have the balls to drive down without a heave first...)

Pull Ups, 3' rest
12 (PU grip), 9 (PV grip), 8 (R-PV grip)

(Snatch-grip Rack jerk +) Overhead Squat
1x72.5 (BW, haha!)

Metcon
2 rounds, for time:
20 DU (1.17, 1.00)
2' rest
10/side x 26kg one-arm DB snatch (L/R, R/L) (1.37, ~2.00)
2' rest
10 GHD SU
10 BE (0.46, 0.45)

(3.40, ~3.45)

Didn't feel like I got much out of this workout. Took too long, not enough heavy lifting, not enough technique work... Hopefully my running will be better tonight.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
Timothy Holmes

FRIDAY - Track

2x400m (warmup)

sprint drills (2x20m,walk back each)

3x3x80m (80-100%), 3' & 8' rest

Didn't finish the last one, felt tired. First few felt great!

Food
1000 - red capsicum
1200 & 1300 - apple, coconut, muesli, almonds (lots)
1830 - whole chicken, some cauliflower
1930 - 2 squares of Lindt 70%

1000 - 2 x Zn tablets, 3.2g (2x1+4x0.3) x Ω3,
1830 - 2 x Ω3 tablets, 5g Mg powder, 3g creatine

Very little nausea with the small creatine dose.

Sleep
6.5 (no nap)

Stretching
Did a marathon session (2+ hours) of stretching and PVC rolling. Used this rolling routine: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832. Also did a foot/ankle mobility drill, 2x2x20m each (walk on toes/on heels, outside of foot/inside of foot, feet pointed in/feet pointed out)

SATURDAY - Gym
Warmup: stair running, pushups, squats, handstand, BWU

Snatch --> heavy single
3x40kg, 2x50, 1x55, 1x57.5(f*), 1x57.5
*didn't finish second pull, and didn't get under bar (didn't commit really)

Clean & Jerk --> heavy single
1x50kg, 1x60, 1x65, 1x67.5, 1x70, 1x72.5

Back Squat --> heavy single
4x60, 2x70, 1x75, 1x80, 1x85, 2x1x90
Still not getting the depth/lack of butt-winking I want...

'Metcon'
2 rounds:
front plank (1.30,1.30)
lateral plank (R/L - 1.30/1.30,1.30/1.30)

Very satisfying workout. Left rotator cuff bit sore (aching).

Last edited by Timothy Holmes : 06-13-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added more info