Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 06-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Default Books on Nutrition

This is not just paleo specific, but this seemed like as good a place as any to post this.

I'm wondering about books on nutrition.

I currently own one book on nutrition: Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual.

It was crappy to say the least and has gotten me weary of ordering nutrition books off Amazon even if they're rated highly.

What are some of your favourites? I'm interested in pretty much anything that has to do with nutrition.

I have read Enter the Zone and the abovementioned book, but that's it so I'm very open to pretty much any suggestions.

I also heard a mention of some book about natural hormonal enhancement, but I can't seem to remember which one it was and the searches I've made on Amazon yield some pretty unconvincing titles.

So, please fire away with recommendations.
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Jonathan Owen

I really enjoyed Protein Power by Michael Eades; I am waiting to get this back from a buddy of mine so I can read it again.
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

the book about natural hormonal enhancement is called... Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Dan Faigin (I think that's how you spell his last name)

You can probably learn the basics just by searching through the archives on this board.

I have honestly learned as much about nutrition here and before this, on the CF board as I could from a book.

Get a library card if you really want to read the books and check them out instead of buying.

Other suggestions for reading... Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and any old school wrestling or football conditioning book/manual from the 60's and 70's.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

I have a few posted on my blog.
See link in Sig.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Dan Heaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
the book about natural hormonal enhancement is called... Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Dan Faigin (I think that's how you spell his last name)

You can probably learn the basics just by searching through the archives on this board.

I have honestly learned as much about nutrition here and before this, on the CF board as I could from a book.

Get a library card if you really want to read the books and check them out instead of buying.

Other suggestions for reading... Starting Strength, Practical Programming, and any old school wrestling or football conditioning book/manual from the 60's and 70's.
Great Advice!! I also buy used from Amazon but the library is the way to go (I'm a librarian)
Dan Heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
Matt Lawson

-Protein power life plan
-Lights out, sleep sugar and survival
-the paleo diet
-Free literature for download on the Paleo diet site.
-The zone books
-The Underground Body Opus (if u can find it)

These were all recomended (except the Body Opus book) to me by other members of the board. Great reads and totaly packed with info.
Matt Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Rob Faigin? http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hormon...3266902&sr=8-2
Because, damn... That one is fucking expensive. Have you read it? Is it worth the sixty bucks?

Quote:
The selection in the libraries over here is awful. I did manage to find Enter the Zone in a library, though.

Quote:
I have Practical Programming and the first version of Starting Strength and I'm getting the second version now as well because Rip is awesome. Also getting Strong Enough because, well... Rip is awesome.

Also, I decided to go for:
Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running
The Paleo Diet for Athletes
The Paleo Diet
Good Calories, Bad Calories

Wanted to get Essentials of Weightlifting and Strength Training as well, but Amazon doesn't have it stock. It's expensive, but I hear it's worth it. (Also, it's not really that expensive when you consider that it costs $115 over here.)

Any other must-haves?

I'm also really interested in knowing wether or not Natural Hormonal Enhancement is worth the sixty bucks.
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Michael Hill

NHE is ok, but you can get most of the same information on hormonal changes related to diet in either the Anabolic diet or Metabolic diet books and they are a lot cheaper than $60.

I also highly recommend two others:

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price

Good calories, bad calories by Gary Taubes

The latter is not a difficult a read as some make it out to be. Yes it is more technical than most, but well worth it IMO.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Clinical Sports Nutrition (third edition) by Louise Burke and Vicki Deakin. - This is a huge book (think phone directory big) and it's ridiculously expensive but it's simply the most complete and up to date book on sports nutrition there is. Definitely one for those with a background in science.

The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition: How to Eat for Maximum Performance by Anita Bean. - An excellent book; up to date scientific research, well written and presented. In many respects this is a better book than Clinical Sports Nutrition because it's a fraction of the price but more importantly you don't need to a science degree to make sense of it.

Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond. - An interesting new book on the paleo diet which is well written and more up to date than Cordain's books.

Waistland: The R/evolutionary Science Behind Our Weight and Fitness by Deirdre Barrett. - The psychology of eating and why the instincts that helped us thrive as a species during the stone age are making us fat today.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Zone is good to get a basic understanding of insulin control
Protein Power is a must read in my book
Haven't read Good Calories/Bad Calories yet but sounds like a good read
Wouldn't spend $ on NHE....google Metabolic Diet or search the PM/CF forum for it...I am sure it's been discussed at lengths end at some point....
Good call on the Body Opus....good read....

in the end with the internet and forums you can find all the same info talked about for free with a little effort...here's a couple good places to go too
http://www.westonaprice.org/basics.html
http://www.beyondveg.com/index.shtml
http://paleodiet.com/

Those sites will keep you busy for weeks......