Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Robert Olajos

Default Help with a program to fit my work schedule

I'm trying to dream up a hybrid program that fits with my work schedule. I work 4-on, 4-off. My four days at work I have access to oly weights. My four days off I do not, so I want to maximize my use of the weights while at work. In my days off I can rest, do bodyweight, go running, or do seasonal stuff like skiing or swimming.

I'm trying to decide if I can either take the CA WOD and adapt it for my four days at work, or if I should use a MEBB variant.

CA WOD variant might look like this:

Day 1 - at work: Monday's WOD
Day 2 - at work: Tues WOD
Day 3 - at work: Wed WOD
Day 4 - at work: Thurs WOD
Day 5 - at home: rest
Day 6 - at home: metcon/bodyweight/misc.
Day 7 - at home: cross country skiing
Day 8 - at home: rest

Am I missing out on something important by skipping the Fri and Sat CA WODs?

MEBB variant might look like this:

Day 1 - at work: ME power cleans 5-5-5-3-3-3
Day 2 - at work: weight-based metcon (e.g. Fran, Grace, Elizabeth....)
Day 3 - at work: ME back squats 5-5-5-3-3-3
Day 4 - at work: weight-based metcon
Day 5 - at home: rest
Day 6 - at home: metcon/bodyweight/misc. (e.g. Half Cindy)
Day 7 - at home: cross country skiing
Day 8 - at home: rest
Day 9 - at work: ME shoulder press 5-5-5-3-3-3
Day 10 - at work: weight-based metcon
Day 11 - at work: ME power cleans 3-3-3-1-1-1
Day 12 - at work: weight-based metcon

MEBB would carry on a la Coach Rut's template....

I wouldn't mind following one of Gant's hybrid programs, but his templates are 7 days. Any way to modify it to 8 days, the first four with an oly set and the last 4 without?

(This is my first post here, and I'm very impressed with the quality of information I've found.)
Robert Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

My initial assessment is that it could be about right or maybe a bit too much based upon your conditioning level. Only you know that right about now (unless you wanna post up some numbers and and abilities).

Regardless, most of the time trying it and seeing if it works is a good idea. If you do 4 WODs in a row though you'll have to follow behind a bit because PM runs 3/1/2/1, but that's no problem at all really.

Gant's hybrid program can definitely be modified although again might have recovery issues if you try to keep the 4 days with the bars always on. Don't be afraid to take another rest day here and there if you're feeling beat up.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

One of the main things about the hybrid programming is the important inclusion of gymnastics-based (mostly isometric type) strength training. From your initial template idea, you won't get much of that in either.

Also, another important thing is short metcons, which should allow you more juice and time for the gymnastics. I'd suggest doing mainly handstand training instead of the pressing as well (especially if you're going to be doing a lot of jerking).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Robert Olajos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
My initial assessment is that it could be about right or maybe a bit too much based upon your conditioning level. Only you know that right about now (unless you wanna post up some numbers and and abilities).

Regardless, most of the time trying it and seeing if it works is a good idea. If you do 4 WODs in a row though you'll have to follow behind a bit because PM runs 3/1/2/1, but that's no problem at all really.

Gant's hybrid program can definitely be modified although again might have recovery issues if you try to keep the 4 days with the bars always on. Don't be afraid to take another rest day here and there if you're feeling beat up.
I've never had a problem taking too few rest days. The way my schedule usually shakes out, I get about 15 WODs in a month. Would like to up that to an average of 20.

I'm leaning toward following the MEBB variant. I hope that will help me continue the strength gains I made on SS over the winter, albeit at a slower pace. Maybe after a summer of MEBB I can revisit the idea of the CA WOD.

Here's some stats:

33 y/o
BW 155
BF <10%
Zone/Paleo/IF inspired diet
CFT 770
DL 365
BS 280
SP 125
PC 5RM 125
BP 5RM 145
Run 5k 20:34
30 muscleups 6:36

Here's my goals:

gain 10# muscle
DL 415
BS 300
SP 145
CFT 860
Firefighter Fran on one bottle
2 HSPUs
1 minute handstand
10' handstand walk
Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Go for it then.

Like Garrett said you might want to keep the metcons shorter kind of like hybrid training but if you feel comfortable doing full ones that's fine.

Adding some gymnastics skill work before the ME days and possibly before the metcons might also be a good idea as well based on Gant's/Garrett's experiences.

Listen to your body though. Looks like you have at least a pretty good amount of strength and hopefully conditioning so that you can do it without too much more rest modifications added.

P.S. It's pretty inspiring that you did CF through chemotherapy. I remember reading about that on CF boards.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Robert Olajos

Right-o

Weights for 3 or 4 days while at work, with some gymnastics and short metcons thrown in for good measure. Then rest and other fun stuff as dictated by available resources in my days off.

(I work out to live, not live to work out.)

Thinking of starting a workout log here to chart progress.

I'm wondering if a serious yoga practice could substitute for gymnastic work (i.e. why spend a lot of time working on a front lever when you're working on some crazy yoga positions?).

Good advice you two, thanks!

PS Any good CFer would keep up the workouts through something like that. That's why we scale.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hmm, yoga for strength that's definitely a no. For relaxation and/or flexibility go for it.

Proprioceptive benefits are probably less than gymnastics just because with gymnastics you tend to move more through space and hit more inverted or semi-inverted positions that require more aerial awareness.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Robert Olajos

Is this strength, or flexibility and relaxation? Not trying to be snooty, but genuinely curious. This is what I mean by a serious yoga practice. I don't (yet) appreciate the difference between the strength necessary to do this vs. the strength necessary to do some serious gymnastics. But I can't do any of the above, so my knowledge base is severely limited.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, obviously VERY flexible. Extremely good compression & strength (moreso strength at the edge of ROM) in the abs/hip flexors to hold a position like that (assuming he's not resting his legs on his arms which he might be doing).

It's pretty much one of the fundamental movements you want to do if you ever want to be able to do press handstands.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Garrett Smith

I don't consider yoga to be quite a sub for gymnastics, but I do find it very complementary and unobtrusive.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote