Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Rachel Izzo

Default nutrition for the full time weightlifter

I'm cross-posting this on the CF site, but I thought i'd try here. What are your opinions on nutrition for an Olympic weightlifter? I recently committed full time, 5 days a week to JUST lifting. This is WAY different than what I'm used to -- crossfit, soccer, lacrosse, etc, and I'm just wondering if I should eat any differently than I am now. Currently at 12 blocks, have cheat meals once or twice a week (minus vacations, which are just bad, and unfortunately i have two big ones this summer), been pretty happy with that through all the lacrosse, etc, but I feel like I'm doing way less exercise than I normally do, and I don't want the cheat days to make me gain weight, etc.

Anyway, any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Rachel Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Izzo View Post
I'm cross-posting this on the CF site, but I thought i'd try here. What are your opinions on nutrition for an Olympic weightlifter?
http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...29653abe057b6c
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Are you planning on competing or just lifting for fitness/fun?

Is your goal to change your weight class or body composition in any way (it sounded like you're trying not to gain bodyfat, couldn't ascertain much else)? That would be very helpful to guide any advice you might get here.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Rachel Izzo

I'm definitely looking to compete, but the goal as of right now is to get as strong as I can and to learn as much technique as i can before I go to school in the fall.

I'm fine with gaining muscle mass, but I really can't afford to gain too much weight (mass or fat, although I don't want to gain fat at all, obviously) because I'm about 57 kg right now (give or take), and I NEED to stay in that class, because I wouldn't be able to do well in the 63 kg weight class.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Rachel Izzo

oops I realize that wasn't that helpful.
I'm fine with gaining mass/bulk (I could always lean out some more) but would like to lose body fat with that because I can't gain too much more weight. If I do, I'd have to cut a few pounds before competition, which would just be hard.

My build is a lot like Melanie Roach's (although she is 500000 times stronger than me), so I have a muscular build but wouldn't mind looking stronger, if I got stronger, if that makes any sense.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
sarena kopciel

Get in touch with Ivan Rojas. He coached his wife Gwen to lose a significant amount and drop 3 bodyclasses!!
http://gwenweightlifting.blogspot.com/
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

If you aren't already, intermittent fasting is often a good thing to have... Especially if you're fasted at your weigh in... That's a good 2kgs of food you won't have in your digestive tract. Haha. (I've noticed pre/post-feed changes of up 8-10lbs, but I eat/drink a lot.)
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Kelly Frankson

Hey Rachel, I recently switched from doing various things to O-lifting full time in November (although I've cheated and snuck in a couple crossfit workouts here and there and paid the price for it...)

Im still very new to this but If you weigh 57kg now, you still have a couple pounds you can afford to put on. I compete in the 58kg weight class as well and will typically hang out around 60kg, drop down to about 59kg 2 weeks before the competition and loose the last kg or so in the couple days leading up to the competition once the intensity of the workouts has ramped down and that seems to be pretty normal for lifters. Most of the weightloss before the competition is water retention and extra calories burned by nerves which I quickly put back on after the weigh-in

one difference that I have found focussing on o-lifting is the amount of protein my body needed. I was pretty much zoning it before around the 12 block mark and have since scrapped the zone and now eat about 16 blocks of protein, 9 blocks of carbs and 30 blocks of fat!! and that seems to be working for me.

I also fool around with Intermitent fasting and really like it-especially because if I need to cut weight before a weigh in, my body is used to going without food and can efficiently process the food it gets after the weigh in.
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
Rachel Izzo

Thanks Kelly, that's really helpful! I should think about playing around with the blocks then. More fat, more protein, less carbs. I'll look into it!