Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Marcus Holden

Default Full extension on cleans

Yesterday I was in the gym with a pretty experienced lifter and strength coach. He wasn't there to coach me; he just happened to be in the gym and has given me pointers before,. He told me one problem with my clean is that I'm not getting full extension and am not using my hips enough; basically, that rather than using my legs/hips and traps to get the bar up, I'm abbreviating the movement a little and pulling the bar with my arms. He said that I wasn't doing it a lot, but enough to make a difference, and that it's a common technique problem for newer lifters. What are some good exercises for fixing this? Recently, I felt like I wasn't getting under the bar quickly enough, that I lacked the confidence and speed to get under, so I started doing high hang cleans. I think that's what they're called - I held the bar standing straight, with everything extended except for my traps, and just shrugged the weight up and ducked under. Those really helped a lot, and I now feel comfortable getting low on cleans. Now, though, I'm wondering what would be a good fix for not extending enough and using the hips. Any suggestions?

(I know a video would help a lot, but I'm a complete luddite and don't have a digital recorder).
Marcus Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Yuen Sohn

I pretty much just do the full squat lifts these days, but I'll do the power variants once in a while (maybe one session every other week), especially if people comment that I'm half-assing my extension. I like working up to a few sets of comfortably heavy doubles (a challenging weight, but not at the expense of form or speed).

I like doing combos as well. Like 1 power clean followed by a hang squat clean, followed by a full squat clean from the floor.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Yuen Sohn : 06-05-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: no coffee=bad grammar
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Marcus Holden

Yoon, thanks for the response. Just to be clear, your experience is that the power versions force you to extend your hips more? I guess that makes sense. I've been trying to work on my technique and relearn the full squat versions after doing only power cleans and snatches for a few years, so I've avoided the the power versions. Maybe I should reincorporate them.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Yuen Sohn

They do help me extend more forcefully and finish my extension, but keep in mind I also have a coach shouting cues at me in conjunction. I may have had similar results just working the squat lifts from the hang position, so long as I had someone angrily screaming at me at the top of his lungs

I think the real key here is to have an experienced coach/lifter watch your lifts and provide feedback after each rep. If you can, definitely track down the aforementioned coach at your gym for some one-on-one.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Gary Valentine

heavier hang sqaut clean, do triples or even 5's. you have to extend, otherwise you'll catch it forward or miss. -g
Gary Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Marcus Holden

Thanks for the response, Gary. That's pretty much what I've been doing: hang cleans from mid-thigh. I let the bar slide down a few inches and then pretty much explode/jump as hard as I can and then drop. However, I've been doing singles - should I be doing more, using a weight I can hang clean 3 or even 5 times in a row?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
Gary Valentine

yes, pop it off the rack position to catch again in the hang, and do reps - 3, 4, 5's all good. i track the triples espescially, and do them till about 3 weeks out from the meet, blending them to triples form the floor, thethe full lift in singles. since ive been doing this so long, as long as my pulls form the floor is good, and the triples from hang, i dont need too much practice at this point for the full clean. its the jerk...:-) -g
Old 06-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
Jonathan Owen

Gary,

I am not tracking about the "blending part." Do you mean like a complex? Or do you mean that you do 3 Hang, and then 3 from the floor in separate sets, and only do full squat cleans for singles?

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. I am looking forward to the CT Open!
Jonathan Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Gary Valentine

usually hangs and cleans in separate sets. but the lifts from the floor for sets of 3 even 5 also for conditioning. -g
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Marcus Holden

Gary, thanks for the advice. My last two sessions have been heavy on triple hang-cleans. Yesterday, I did a triple from the hang clean that was 85% of my 1RM from the floor. They're particularly helpful towards the end when my arms get tired and I have to let them hang, using my legs and traps to get the bar up, rather than pulling with my arms.