Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Gittit Shwartz

Default Overhead Squat

This may be a dumb beginner's question... but what dictates the "best" width of your grip in OHS and snatch? (Besides the obvious arm length and shoulder width).

Specifically, I want to use OHS to improve shoulder strength in the open position. I don't really care about lifting the heaviest weight I can lift, but I want it to have as much carryover as possible to handstands and back bridges (I prefer not to do real back bridges right now as I am still trying to correct some coordinative problems. Sounds like something I pulled out of my a** but this approach worked for my shoulders).
So I'm using a relatively narrow grip. Does this make sense?

Theoretically, how would you choose your grip width if you DID want to lift maximal weight? Just by the feel?

Last edited by Gittit Shwartz : 06-12-2008 at 07:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Gittit Shwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

I have found that the grip that allows the most weight for me is more narrow than my snatch grip but still very open. If you look at some of Leo's videos on youtube he can OHS with a shoulder width grip a lot of weight.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Leslie Poole

A while ago I saw a video on the CF site about this- grip the bar and standing up right, let it rest against your hips. When you raise a knee so your thigh is parallel to the floor, it should not push the bar (touch but not push it up). Basically, grip wide enough that the bar rests against your body at your hip flexors.
Leslie Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

For me I've found that the best grip is one that allows you to "pack" your shoulders (abduct them I think is the term) which doesn't cause wrist pain. I can snatch wide without wrist pain. But I find that if I OHS with that wide snatch grip, my wrists scream. I move the grip in about 2" on each side and the wrist pain goes away and the shoulder packing is comparable to the wider grip.

Don't know if that helps?

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Gittit Shwartz

Arden, can you explain a bit further what you mean by "packing" the shoulders?
Here's another question - I find that when I OHS higher weights my arms tend to rotate outwards - so the armpit is facing at about 45 degrees outward. Sort of like I was starting to do a dislocate with the bar. It feels steadier that way as opposed to keeping the armpits facing forward. Is this the correct/normal thing to do? I am woefully coach-less in the gym right now...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Don't pack! At least not if you mean it in the sense that RKC folks do.

But yes, you want to rotate the arms as if you're trying to turn your palms to face out to the sides. This will place the elbows pointing halfway between back and down, and will help encourage scapular retraction. But don't pack - shrug them up too!

A narrower grip is harder from a flexibility standpoint and also places the COM higher, which means a greater balance component as well. Wider will lower the COM and improve balance, ease the need for flexibility, but will place more strain on the wrists. Everyone will prefer different widths. Just pop the bar up there and try different widths and see which feels the most comfortable for you. Personally, I'd go as wide as I could without blowing out my wrists.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Gittit Shwartz

Thanks all for the helpful replies!
I should definitely shrug my shoulders if there's to be a carryover to handstands.
Here's a link to an article with a similar mindset to what I'm trying to do: (wfs)
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/455/
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

I do my snatch-width grip, and dutifully following Greg E's instructions, I "retract-then-elevate" the scapula for the overhead bar position. Works like a charm.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
For me I've found that the best grip is one that allows you to "pack" your shoulders (abduct them I think is the term) which doesn't cause wrist pain. I can snatch wide without wrist pain. But I find that if I OHS with that wide snatch grip, my wrists scream. I move the grip in about 2" on each side and the wrist pain goes away and the shoulder packing is comparable to the wider grip.

Don't know if that helps?

All the best,
Arden
I'm so glad Greg clarified it. For me, I think of packing as trying to touch my traps to my ears with my arms overhead.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Arden,
Make sure to retract the shoulders (pinch them back together) before elevating them. I had some shoulder discomfort with OLs until Greg E. told me to start doing that, now I have no problems.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote