Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
Robert Olajos

Default July 17, 3:30 (work day)

1. warmup
2. PT exercises R shoulder
3. 5 rounds Tabata kipping pullups (65
4. 1:30 handstand practice
5. Front squat warmup
6. FS 3-3-3-1-1-1 (205-210-215-220-225-235)

Was interrupted by a fire call just before the final set, so I finished it about 30 minutes later, with no additional warmup.
Robert Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
Robert Olajos

Default July 18, 11:00 (work day)

Based on a thread at CF, I tried to invent a workout to honour firefighters killed in the line of duty. After some experimentation, this is what I came up with. I did my usual warmup, PT exercises, handstand, and some Tabata knees-to-elbows (tied at 65 in 5 rounds).
343 ver. 1.3

As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes:

100' farmers walk with 65# dumbbells
95# thruster, 21 reps
225# deadlift, 10 reps

If you have SCBA and bunker gear, or a weighted vest, wear it. Subtract the weight of your gear from the weights in each exercise. For example, with 80# of gear:

100' farmers walk with 25# dumbbells
15# thruster, 21 reps
145# deadlift, 10 reps

If you do the workout on air, do as many rounds as possible before your bell starts ringing.

Post weight used, rounds completed, and SCBA model and bottle size (if applicable) to comments.
My results: 3 rounds + 100' farmers walk using 65#/45#/225#.

This was a bit of an experiment, but I like it. Will try it sometime soon with bunker gear, then again on air (maybe on Sept. 11).
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
Ari Kestler

Hey,

Great work.

A couple questions as I'm entertaining the idea of doing the same thing in a few months when my schedule lightens up...

1) Why do you do tabatas/metcon before ME?

2) Not sure if you changed the original schedule on page 1, but I would probably shoot for a CFT 1x a month...seems like you had it on avg 1/week. From my experience I feel like it's a great way to measure your progress but outside of that, I don't feel like it's particularly strong lifting day...what do you think?

3) How many days a week are you working out? I'm just trying to see what I might come up with, if I workout 5x a week I'll probably do 1 ME exercise, but if only 3x a week I might do ME lower and ME upper, something like (squat/DL/Clean rotation with Pull up/dip/HSPU rotation)...have you thought about anything like that?

Thanks.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Robert Olajos

Default July 26, 5 pm (work night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
1) Why do you do tabatas/metcon before ME?

2) Not sure if you changed the original schedule on page 1, but I would probably shoot for a CFT 1x a month...seems like you had it on avg 1/week. From my experience I feel like it's a great way to measure your progress but outside of that, I don't feel like it's particularly strong lifting day...what do you think?

3) How many days a week are you working out? I'm just trying to see what I might come up with, if I workout 5x a week I'll probably do 1 ME exercise, but if only 3x a week I might do ME lower and ME upper, something like (squat/DL/Clean rotation with Pull up/dip/HSPU rotation)...have you thought about anything like that?
I do five rounds of tabata before about half of my ME workouts. I look at it as part of my warmup. Usually (but not always) if my ME is lower body, I'll do an upper body tabata. Do you think I should do them after? I don't have a coherent reason to do it before. I usually do metcon on separate days. My schedule is somewhat whacky, not at all regular. To generalize, I will workout for up to 4 days in a row, and rest for up to 4 days in a row.

CFT once a month is a good idea. I did skip my last one due to a nagging ulnar nerve problem, which is holding up a lot of my work right now.

In June, I worked out 18 days and rested 12. July looks like it will be 20:11.

All in all, I'm slowing down until I can get this ulnar thing worked out.

Yesterdays workout:

1. warmup
2. no handstand - aggravates ulnar nerve
3. tabata squats benchmark checking - 98 in 2 minutes, down from my benchmark of 111. Ugh.
4. backsquat warmup
5. BS 5-5-5-3-3-3 (245-255-255-260-265-270)

Rest between BS is about 4 minutes, and I spend that time doing some stretching for my ulnar nerve, as suggested by my chiro.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Ari Kestler

Well just thinking out loud here...it seems like with your schedule you'd benefit from Robb Wolf's Power Bias program or whatever he called it a while back when he wrote that article for devaney...it was SS-like but not exact... if you Do those an A/B/A/B format and then 4 days off it might workout better than only lifting one lift per day...I don't know if you have a preference of what you'd like to get stronger in, but if it were me, my goals are BS/DL/Press/Pull ups/Dips so you could just break those up into 2 separate days and do them in a 3x5 format... if metcon was really important you could throw 1-2 metcons in there that were short and maybe a combination of exercises you don't get to do (i.e. C&J, snatch, thruster, etc)... if you felt the need to do more you could throw in 1 or 2 tabatas on the 4 off days...I know you odn't intend to workout but it's pretty easy to throw in 4 minutes here and there... just a thought...

While Gant's programming seems amazing, it doesn't fit for me due to a combination of scheduling/timing and mostly my lack of interest in learning to C&J and Snatch....I'd much rather get to 2.5xBW DL and 2xBW squat... that and my pull up/dip numbers aren't nearly as high as his...I feel like these exercises make up the foundation of strength, so I should focus on these before jumping into the O lifts...once I reach those goals (and have more time) I'll likely jump into something similar to his programming.... just my 2 cents...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote