Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McKirdy View Post
I never started sleeping so good in my life since adding ice cream and good nuts every night
something to be said about getting your blood sugar to drop while feeling no cravings before going to bed.....the body likes fat! I bet there is an increase in GH response to go along with it that aids in the overall fat burning effect. Either way....I've noticed more full fat cravings at night...so some cookie dough full fat ice cream might be the answer!

Warrior Ice Cream Diet sounds like a good next book to write.....
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Ari Kestler

If you are eating it before bed, isn't it suppressing GH?

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 06-18-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: I screwed up....my bad
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Paul McKirdy

That's why I go with Breyers as well. I keep the freezer stocked full with All Natural Cherry Vanilla. I need to add Breyers to my retirement portfolio .

More fat is also why I add the nut mixture.

Don't intend to hijack and I have read all the ZMA threads, and gather that it is best to take it vs not take as long there are no complications. I have had no complications thus far(three nights taking it so far), so is the consensus just take it at night on as empty a stomach as possible as long you make the sleep window? One theory on the ice cream thing is calcium uptake anyway and if that is true I would see ZMA as only enhancing this even more.

If this is going to divert the current discussion please anyone feel free to start another thread. I have another I am going to start soon anyway under IF as a meal timing question anyway.

Thanks everyone!
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
something to be said about getting your blood sugar to drop while feeling no cravings before going to bed.....the body likes fat! I bet there is an increase in GH response to go along with it that aids in the overall fat burning effect. Either way....I've noticed more full fat cravings at night...so some cookie dough full fat ice cream might be the answer!

Warrior Ice Cream Diet sounds like a good next book to write.....
Hmm, there's something I've actually been meaning to try out (or get someone to try out) which is namely maybe like 5 minute cold shower right before sleeping keeping everything else the same. From the studies I've been reading over the past couple months increased body temperature is supposed to create a better environment for deeper sleep (non-REM) while increases at least the initial GH pulse at the beginning of sleep.

To relate this into the ice cream perhaps some of the coldness helps spike body temp right before sleep which would subsequently increase GH spike. This obviously probably isn't the only answer because of increased cals with the caloric deficient individuals on the zone... but it's worth a shot.

I ultimately want to see someone do the cold shower straight to sleep and see if that helps. Also, I want to see someone put their ice cream intake maybe in the beginning of the day or after lunch instead of right before bed and see if that makes a difference. My body fat is too low for me to do this and see much difference.. but anyone else wanna give it a shot?

Quote:
Only if it's high glycemic load.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I ultimately want to see someone do the cold shower straight to sleep and see if that helps.
Doesn't a cold shower also give a noradrenaline response? Not sure I could go to bed after a shower wakes me up......

Quote:
Also, I want to see someone put their ice cream intake maybe in the beginning of the day or after lunch instead of right before bed and see if that makes a difference. My body fat is too low for me to do this and see much difference.. but anyone else wanna give it a shot?
My guess....will turn to fat because of possible increased hunger during the day...not too mention the blood sugar crash later may induce more sugar cravings.

It's fun to play around with hormones......
Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
lower sugar and full fat should be best choice...that and give it an hour or so before bed....not eating while laying down.

Interesting note on the Bryers vs other brands.....not a huge ice cream man but now I just want to give it a shot to see what the heck happens. Will be interesting to walk through the freezer section comparing sugar per serving by brands.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Doesn't a cold shower also give a noradrenaline response? Not sure I could go to bed after a shower wakes me up......

My guess....will turn to fat because of possible increased hunger during the day...not too mention the blood sugar crash later may induce more sugar cravings.

It's fun to play around with hormones......
Meh. I guess that's why it's a pain in the butt to play around with diet sometimes.

Cold shower does lots of things methinks. Aside from spiking body temp.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Cold shower does lots of things methinks. Aside from spiking body temp.
supposedly increases lymph circulation (aka detoxification and waste removal from cells)....that and it makes me scream like a fightened girl when I turn the knob a little too far to the cold side.....
Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Paul McKirdy

Quote:
I ultimately want to see someone do the cold shower straight to sleep and see if that helps. Also, I want to see someone put their ice cream intake maybe in the beginning of the day or after lunch instead of right before bed and see if that makes a difference. My body fat is too low for me to do this and see much difference.. but anyone else wanna give it a shot?
Funny I have been taking, what do you call it, alternating temperature showers at night as well, so I guess I wouldn't be a good control. But I am, however, still dropping tons of body fat at the moment from too many years at a desk and not paying attention to fitness. I am doing the alternating temps for increased recovery seems to work, maybe its helping on the BF front too combined with the ice cream and really good diet, plus ZMA now too. Plus starting this week I have made greens kale, baby spinach or collards an absolute definite intake. Shrug...

But I know I did heavy squats yesterday and felt dynamite this morning and did 225# bar chain loaded box squats explosively and shrugs tonight and still feel fantastic. Could have done tons more but pulled the plug for fear of overdoing things. Damn it I'm rambling again...

I guess I wouldn't want to cut the ice cream vs extremely cold shower or ice bath due to different functional purposes from what I understand. And I sure would miss that ice cream. mmmm iiiice cream. Oops, I drooled a little. I think the concept is interesting though, and would also be interested in any measured impact.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
Cal Jones

Problem with me is I can't just eat a scoop or two. Once I've opened the tub, that's it - I'll eat until it's all gone. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lose fat on a tub of H-D a night routine...
Cal Jones is offline   Reply With Quote