Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #31
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
So if we're looking at ~ 270g (180 x 1.5) of protein, how do people do it?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-amounts-in-food/
Using this, a pound of beef has ~140g.

2 pounds of meat, depending on the animal and cut gets you pretty far. I guess that's not that hard. I may have been underestimating my intake.
here's my way.

breakfast
oatmeal with 2 scoops protein~ 48g

2nd breakfast
shake and chicken breast~48g and 25g

lunch
5 eggs~30g and,
Another shake~48g

Dinner,

big steak 8-10oz~70-80g

night cap.

another shake~48g

Daily intake.

250-280g
Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #32
Darryl Shaw

I'm amazed that you're all so rich you can afford to eat twice the amount of protein you need when all I can afford is the 1.4 - 1.8g per kilogram per day that experts say is required.

http://www.nsca-lift.org/Perform/articles/PTJ060605.pdf
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #33
Michael Hill

FWIW, the 1.4 per kilogram per day that experts say is required is pretty darn close to Zone perscriptions based on a .7 multiplier. Note that this is the range they recommend for STRENGTH atheletes, implying that the amount needed by other types of athletes, for general fitness, etc is below zone perscriptions at a lower multiplier. Rather skinny on the protein IMO.

Besides I don't think anyone here is saying you can't do well on lower amounts of protein. Look at Steven Low's personal anecdote. Others, such as myself are simply saying that higher intakes have resulted in better results.

I think we all know you can only put so much stock in what "nutrition experts" say.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #34
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
FWIW, the 1.4 per kilogram per day that experts say is required is pretty darn close to Zone perscriptions based on a .7 multiplier. Note that this is the range they recommend for STRENGTH atheletes, implying that the amount needed by other types of athletes, for general fitness, etc is below zone perscriptions at a lower multiplier. Rather skinny on the protein IMO.

Besides I don't think anyone here is saying you can't do well on lower amounts of protein. Look at Steven Low's personal anecdote. Others, such as myself are simply saying that higher intakes have resulted in better results.

I think we all know you can only put so much stock in what "nutrition experts" say.

Another way to look at it is to see how someone with an appreciable amount of strength and body mass does it. Zones prescriptions that may work well for a 145 pound adult male may not work for someone trying to push their strength levels up to something above average or even competitive in the strength arena. Yup..you can get by in Low protein environment, but if there is one nutrient that nealry everyone agrees can have a positve effect on recovery and body comp, it's protein.

If a person is content with 175 pounds soaking wet and a 300 pound back squat then sweating the protein intake is probably not neccesary.

If you are 5'9" and 220 looking to load a 360 pound atlas stone...well then you might need to push things a little.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #35
Peter Dell'Orto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I'm amazed that you're all so rich you can afford to eat twice the amount of protein you need when all I can afford is the 1.4 - 1.8g per kilogram per day that experts say is required.
It's not terribly hard.

Okay, maybe it's hard if you only lean, grass-fed beef and omega-3 eggs and so on. But none of that stuff is available to me, so I get my food at the supermarket and I can reach 1.5g per pound a day.

I'm about 188 right now, so I need roughly 280g of protein to get the 1.5g I aim for each day. Mostly I get it with:

- chicken breasts. Not much. Costs about $0.60 per 100g here.
- raw salmon, probably farm-raised, label doesn't say. Costs about $1 to $3 per 100g, averages around $1.50 and I buy lots and freeze it.
- canned tuna. $1 per 185g can.
- canned sardines. $1.5 per 100g can.
- steak. At the cheapest it's $2.50 per 100g (so I don't eat this often)
- assorted raw fish and cooked squid. Costs about $1 per 100g on sale, $2 per 100g normally.
- eggs. 10 medium eggs, locally raised brown, are $2.

...and whey and whey/casein protein mixes. $100 per 3kg for whey, $60 per 2kg for whey/casein for a protein-only no-flavoring/sugar powder.
I save money on fish oil (which is expensive here) by eating lots and lots of fish (which isn't).

It's not hard to eat all of that, especially when I also get some proteins from my veggies - spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. Sometimes I have trouble getting to the minimum, but not often. Getting to 2.0g a pound is more expensive, because the markets here are smaller, so I often can only get a limited amount of what I want, so it's not so simple as just getting more. But the day after my heavy days I push my protein up, and I'll go with multiple sources - a spinach salad with grilled chicken on, plus some broccoli and salmon sashimi - and try to space it out.

So that's how I do it. It helps that I like to eat, I like to eat a lot, and while I'm a penny-pincher I try not to cheap out on what goes into my body. Not saying you are, just that I make getting good protein in good quantities a priority, and since that matches my food tastes anyway...it's just not that hard for me.

And I know that I spend under $15/day for the food I eat. That's less than my per-day rent before utilities.

But, for what it's worth, I've got pro fighter buddies who eat much less protein than 1g per pound a day. They eat high-carb meals and do just fine in terms of muscle and fitness. I don't think you need it. It does seem like high protein diets help, but where the point of dimishing returns is I don't know. I personally eat low carb most days, I'm very active, and the calories I need have to come from somewhere...and I'd rather have them come from eating some more sashimi or chicken or a steak than from drinking olive oil, thanks anyway.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #36
Emily Mattes

Dang, wouldn't protein intake of 2-3g/lbs dramatically increase your risk of kidney stones?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #37
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Dang, wouldn't protein intake of 2-3g/lbs dramatically increase your risk of kidney stones?
Drink more water.