Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer
"Well it makes scense that you are somewhat uncomfortable when in periods of being underfed your body is lacking for food. However I think that increased energy and mental activity are good symptoms in the grand scheme of things."
had shared that this IF was a bad idea for humans
Giving this more thought here's what I came up with:
- daily routine fasting is not something 10,000 BC man did every day....he fasted when he had no food and he ate when he had it....so hence...the whole "intermittent" part
- You autonomic nervous controls your heart, lungs, glands, stomach, blood vessels and other organs. It's compromised of the SNS (fight or flight) and PNS (rest and digest)
- Waking up you are in a SNS response (fiight or flight)...why? Because your body has to elevate cortisol to wake your ass up and it has to motivate you to go hunt for food. It also increases your mental alertness because it wants you to find food and be a smart hunter...as a dumb one may starve to death.
- Fasting (IF) Daily will just keep the SNS going...hence why there may be an additional metabolism spike and fat burn
- Our daily stressors and lifestyles are not what they were 10,000 years ago. Paleo man didn't wake up and worry about the monthly mortgage, paying off credit cards, world politics, what the stock market was doing or the report that has to be on Grog's desk by Friday.
- If you are already stressed and prone to anxiety, then turning up the SNS and keeping it going is going to amplify your underlying issues
- You still need to find ways to destress in life....as you don't just turn up the radio when you hear something going wrong with the car do you? (well maybe some people do...but it's not going to hide the issue that could come back to do damage later)
- Eating a large meal in the morning generates PNS responses therefore taking you more out of SNS and calming down your alertness
Either way...IF is meant to be....ready....Intermittent. So do it 2x a week....3x a week....1x a week....but not every day as that will not be a good way to start. That and listen to how your body responds.....as the level at which you stress out on things is completely different from the level I stress out about things....so I may be able to do it 5x a week.....but you may find it only works for you 2-3x a week. Believe me, if I find my plan isn't working for me or I am going through more stressful times, then IF is put on hold. The real power comes from knowing when and how to use it....and when to take a break from it.
Along that line it can also be important to generate a large PNS response towards night so you can fall asleep and recharge as part of the natural cycle of SNS during the day and PNS at night. If your sleep is compromised then so will your recovery ability to handle SNS the next day. So big meals at night...go to bed feeling satisfied and stress free....no news before bed.
Also work on the other lifestyle issues and stimulants that are causing excessive stress in your life and remove or just detach from them. Make your life more peaceful and enjoyable....don't just turn up the car radio. (which is a main reason people turn to alcohol and drugs, to basically shut off the thinking part of the mind that is creating all the fear, self-doubt, worry, etc..., but that wears off and then the anxiety comes back....so hence people become addicted to the drugs/alcohol as it never makes the underlying issue be confronted and dealt with)