Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Chris Falkner

Default Falkner's Training Log

Howdy,

My name is Chris Falkner and I currently work in a local hospital and I am currently going to school to be a personal trainer but I do have plans to get a degree in exercise physiology. I have been trolling this forum for a while and have read and learned a lot. I have decided to keep record of my training to track progress and get advice whenever possible.

My current goals is to maintain a weight of 155-160 with 8-10% BF(currently at 12%). I am looking toward GPP.

My workouts are mostly metcon/gymnasticish and not very organized. It is not till now I am going to design a routine.

I typically train with 3 other guys at a Udall park in Tucson, AZ. But I am usually the most consistant one of the group. I also work from 7PM-730AM regularly F-Sun but I have been picking up Thursdays and during my work week I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep. My diet was crap(i hate it when my boss brings in donuts).

I have recently restructured my routine and diet so this is a good time to keep record of everything.

My training days ar Fri,Sat,Sun, and Tue at 745AM after work on the weekends. and I am also doing the IF diet Thurs-Sun/Mon depends if i work or not. IF seems to work real well when I work.

I do not have access to any real weights right now so I do mostly BW stuff but I am starting to collect more stuff(sand bags, KB, yada yada). We are all actually getting together to this tuesday to make paralletes, sand bags, slamballs and stuff.

Most of our worksout usually start off with some gymnastic work then on to the WOD which varies depending on what were doing.

Friday 6/20/08

Started late around 8 waiting for a person to show up.

Lever tucks - 3 sets of 10 hanging to tuck with a 10 sec hold at the end

50 burpees with pullup

I progressing well with the tucks I think I am going to start the advance tucks next time. Burpees suck but with the pullup give me Tourette's. I had a little bit more energy to do more but my comrades were in the suck.

It was so freaking hot. I need to get a sweat band

Saturday 6/21/08

16 hour fast

Practice handstands. I am getting better but I spend most the time coaching and assisting two of the other guys.

I set up a circuit with different various times we did 4 sets.

The Circuit was transversing parallel bars front to reverse-moutain climbers-goblet squat with 16KG KB past parallel-transversing monkey bars front to reverse(ripped two calluses on this one on set 3 and 4)-alternating pistols-16kg KB swings.

Duration:
30sec work 15sec of rest
30-15
30-10-I felted pumped up after this set
40-10

This was a pretty fun circuit. It was hot hot as hell. I felt really good

Sunday 6/22/08

16 hour fast

This is my dedicated KB day. I just got my first 16kg KB this week and I one of my goals is to be able to do the long cycle for 10min then progressing with higher weights also.

This was not much of a workout day but more of a technical/form day orientation with my partners since none of them have even touched a bell.

I just went over Swing, Clean, push, push-press, and Jerk. We did some short and long cycles almost lost another callus again.

It was fun to instruct.
Chris Falkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Welcome, Chris! Hopefully I'll make it by Udall at least one day this coming weekend!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Chris Falkner

Thanks Garrett. Hope to see you there. I am going to invest in a dip belt and some other stuff.

Tuesday 6/24/2008

Ring Training

hanging L-sit to Adv tuck to inversion(unsure what it is really called) to skin the cat to basket hang to couple pulls to back tucks to all the way back to the L-sit
2 reps 3 sets pause at every part

Felt good today I increased progression from tuck to adv tuck and I started going with the L-sit. Good progress.

did a bunch of tabetas but I was a bone head and didnt keep count of the reps

16KG KB Swing
8 sets 20sec of work 10sec of rest

Ring Push Up

Dips on parallel bars

Sprints
6 rounds

This was painful I vomited at round 4 of sprints. fortunately I have not eaten in 20ish hours.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

I already have a dip belt, maybe you'll want to invest in a weight vest...just a hunch...

Stick to 6-round tabatas, IMO...
Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Chris Falkner

yea I decided to get a weight vest but they are a little pricey. I am trying to save up for a bunch of things. Primarily backpacking gear. I am planning on going backpacking in the Grand Canyon in october for 7 days.

Friday 6/27/08

circuit
1 round-45on 15off
2 round-45on 15off
3round-20on 10off

burpee
dip
push up
16kg KB two handed swing
lever tucks
hanging leg raises
pullups

These were fun but i should have split up the circuit a little better

20M(guessing on distance) Frog Leaps x2
20M bear crawl
20M crab walk
100ishM sprint
50M power skip
50M jogging backwards

Crab walks were a bitch. other then that it was fun. I had a real strong sprint a lot better then anticipated.

Only problem today was I tweaked my Left shoulder messing around on wednesday doing front handsprings and one handed cartwheels. Hands are still healing from ripping the two calluses.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Chris, make sure you have good spotters! Remember that the risk/benefit ratio from tumbling gets really risky really fast, especially if you don't have safety measures (or proper coaching).

I'm taking apart the OL platform for moving it today...

Oh yeah, don't get too much into the long metcons, unless you want to have to fix issues later...your schedule is hard enough already!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #7
Chris Falkner

Garrett cant wait to check the gym when you get it set up. Yea tumbling was a bad idea on my part I was just bored. I know my metcons are long. I am still trying to figure out a routine and stuff.

Saturday 6/28/08

Cindy

I did 11 with pullups to the neck, push ups to the ground and i teabagged the ground with the squats. When it was all and done with I think I could have churned out 2 even 3 more sets. I was just pacing myself. After that I just called it a day.

Sunday 6/29/08

I did some kettlebell work and handstand/planche work. I train with a group of guys with only 2 16kg KB so i had to split things up.

We split up into two groups one did the KB and the other did handstands/planche work.

group one

one handed KB swings R-30sec, L-30sec, rest 30sec x3x3

group two would just do the handstand/planche stuff

KB were fine im going to have to increase the work time and I have not done planche stuff in while it was refreshing but I still need to make paralletes.

Tuesday 7/1/08

Tuesday have become my tabeta/sprint days i have also been doing 8 rounds but I have dropped it to 6 rounds.

16kg KB press alternating between rounds
push ups-chest to ground
bench dips
sumo deadlift high pulls with the 16kg KB
Sprints - the first 4 rounds were really good best yet even until I vomited between 4 and 5 then i just kinda jogged the last two out.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Chris Falkner

Friday 7/4/08

Pull-ups
3x15

BW Squats
3x30

Dips on Parallel bars
3x15

One handed 16KG KB Swing
3x30 each arm

I did about 30 secs of rest in between sets

Played with the rings did a couple of muscle ups and some other stuff.

Saturday 7/5/08

Scaled down barbara

5 rounds of

10 pull-ups
20 Push ups
30 sit ups
40 squats

I didnt keep track of the time and next time I will do the RX Barbara. I did the Push ups down to the ground. I teabagged the ground with squats and neck above bar with pull ups.

Sunday 7/6/08

Core routine

10 reps of Adv Lever tuck pulls with a 10 sec hold at the end for 3 sets on a bar

5 reps of straight leg situps while holding a 16kg KB straight up with a 4 sec downward phase.

10 reps of hanging straight leg raises on stall bars with a 10 sec L-sit at the end for 3 rounds.

10 side pulls(the flag) on each side with a 10 sec hold for 2 rounds

the L-sits and side pulls usually requires a training buddy to help hold you up while you remain to keep the isometric contraction.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Chris Falkner

Wow its been a week. Busy life schedule

I cant remember last tuesday for the life of me and I took Friday off my body needed it I must have slept from 0630 to 1750 that day.

Saturday 7/11/08

Lever Progression

10 pulls with a 10sec hold at the end x3

I did the pulls with just bent knees and doing an advance tuck with the hold.

did a quick circuit of Pull ups, push ups, dips and leg raises x3 for 30 on and 15 off

did sprint intervals with half of the track at udall. I split it into four segments jog,sprint,jog,sprint x3

Sunday 7/12/08

Mostly KB day

One armed Long cycle with 16kg for 1 min for 4 rounds.

4 Turkish getups with 16kg

I wanted to do more but I decided I should not because we had a real slow night at work and spent half the time in a stairwell playing with these rock climbing rings a buddy made. Did a bunch of pullups, muscle-ups, and finger holds. My fingers and forarms were tore up.

7/15/08 Tuesday

did a circuit

Pullup-burpee-dip-squat-hanging leg raises-suicides 30on 15offx4

This whole week has been very long with high amounts of stress. I have my first MMA class in the morning tomarrow at a pretty hardcore gym so I am going to unload for a week and let my body recover.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Chris Falkner

So i havent really kept track of my workout in fact i have not been continuing my normal routine at all. I started training at the hole in a wall of a MMA gym on MWTh and it is rough. I thought I was decently conditioned untill this guy just tore me up. so I am just going to let my body adapt to it then slowly integrate more other training days. I have been doing some LSD no more the 2 miles though a couple time a week with my mouthguard(trying to get used to breathing with it). I am having a lot of fun and it is very very addictive.

I'll keep an update to how I am doing with the MMA training.

So far I have no stand up game at all nothing like getting punched in the nose repeatedly and bleeding. good times. I do have a wrestling background so I am ok with takedowns and sprawling but I also do not know many submissions so I get kinda lost when it comes to that so I mostly ground and pound for now. I am always learning a lot everyday i go.