Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #21
Liam Dougherty Springer

Well I took the day of work yesterday and this morning I felt like I was on the mend for the first time. Went to work and took it easy. I got in about 8 and a half hours before I felt like I was going past bennifitial activity and took off a little early. At lunch I iced my back and took 600mg advil though I believe that is all I will take today. I iced again after work.

I am hopeing to start some rehabing by monday. maybe a few rounds of body squats and good mornings on sat or sunday.

I have been reducing my food to about 2/3 or 3/4 of usual maybe a little more on the protein ration than usual so as not to miss any needed for reparing any muscular damage. I was going to stop IF but it just felt good to continue so I have been about 15 hr. a day style.

Thanx to every one for the help I beleive the confidence that your advice and references give me is really helping me to heal. Not to mention doing what is suggested.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Liam Dougherty Springer

Lightbulb

I have been searching the forum and reading trying to fill that hole left by my inability to train and I have come across some info that intregued me.

I have been really fine tuneing my diet and training hard recently, my caloric intake before IF was quite a bit higher, and I have reduced and my BF noticably in the last 2 months. I had just recently had a couple significant PR's in my lifts and a couple of WOD performances that impressed me. I am usually not happy with my results hopeing I would have done better, and I have surpased my expectations numerouse times in this past few weeks.

I think I needed to take a break......

I feel stupid but I guess this is understandable considering I am new to this level of performance capability. I hope I didn't take one step forward and two steps back. I at least will learn from this but dang...

I knew what it felt like to over train and looking back that day I didn't feel like working out and I was oddly sore from Nate 2 days previous.. man I hope next time I feel like that I say hey maybe I need a week off a little early. I even thought it the day befor and was like its only been two months. I was like come on I am on such a role and I want to get my Fran time down to the low 4min range. What an idiot!

Se la vi
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #23
Liam Dougherty Springer

Okay woke up a little extra sore and stiff this morning but talked to the doc and she says its normal after work yesterday. I have the day off and the long weekened so I decided to treat myself to the initiation of a rehab program. I just need to be proactive.

I started the Starr program just 75 good mrnings and 75 halting deadlifts with the broomstick today.

I noticed that all the web references for good mornings have you doing them with a locked prosteir chain however Starr suggests a rounding of the lower back. i used his version as it seems increased mobility and range of motion would serve well in a bodyweight rehab exercise.

Any comments?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Again. Don't put your back in flexion. You risk herniation. If you want to risk it in the name of rehab because it worked for someone else be my guest.

Work on your weaknesses while injured like leg/shoulder/thoracic spine mobility/flexibility, upper body strength, whatever...
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #25
Liam Dougherty Springer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Again. Don't put your back in flexion. You risk herniation. If you want to risk it in the name of rehab because it worked for someone else be my guest.

Work on your weaknesses while injured like leg/shoulder/thoracic spine mobility/flexibility, upper body strength, whatever...
Point taken. I will adjust for a more stable spine while rehabing untill I feel solid in the lumbar area.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
John Alston

My personal variation on back rehab - for mionor strains from life, and in my old boxing times (torsion) - was rubber band good mornings, a few high rep sets. Alwways work. The kind of thing I should do more often, but then again, weighted gms are on my "to make regular" list.
Lock the back into a nice strong position and don't round into structual weakness. Bend over with slightly bent legs, repeat. Fixed it all every time.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #27
Liam Dougherty Springer

I have been really dedicated as far as the care of my back and have been following a rehabregemen based around the info I have received here it really seems to be helping. Still in a little pain and I can't imagin doing any real lifting but I think I will start on some body weight exercise interval training and work at a moderate to mild intensity for a while.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #28
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post

Still in a little pain and I can't imagin doing any real lifting but I think I will start on some body weight exercise interval training and work at a moderate to mild intensity for a while.
You're still in pain, hence body has issues and you want to train!!

Does not make sense to me, but go for it, it''s your spine.

Same you just won't chill, do the GM's/DL rehab program for a few weeks until you're feeling at least pain free, then work in Rip's program for getting back into Squats / Deadlifts.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #29
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
You're still in pain, hence body has issues and you want to train!!

Does not make sense to me, but go for it, it''s your spine.

Same you just won't chill, do the GM's/DL rehab program for a few weeks until you're feeling at least pain free, then work in Rip's program for getting back into Squats / Deadlifts.
honestly i am not trying to be stupid or get ahead of myself I guess I just thought pull ups and pushups wouldn't hurt me as long as i didn't push myself.

What is GM's/DL rehab?

I have been doing goodmornings and halting deadlifts with a broomstick yesterday I got up to 75x3 and added some broomstick OHS concentrating on opening the chest the positionong of my lambar spine and keeping the glutes engaged at the bottom of the squat.

i then did some stretching without any flexion and to be honest i did a few sets of 20 pull ups and push ups never going into any sort of strained effort. Honestly if you think this is being careless I thank you for your concern and experience. I have never been injured in this way before and perhaps don't understand what is going on in my body. I just want to heal the best i can.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #30
Liam Dougherty Springer

i am so dumb i just got what GM DL stands for I will stick to it for a while longer before going to Coach Rip's.

I was going to start Rips tomorrow how should I know when it is a good time to move on. I feel like BS with the bar would be better than GM's I was thinking of working into Rips every other day in alternation with the GM/DL to allow for variety and recovery and slowly bring plates into the mix once I am doing Rips no problem.