Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 06-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Killer at large

I saw a link to this on Alwyn Cosgrove's blog today. Fairly powerful clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSGUZrOU_w

It looks to be a trailer for a movie coming out soon. I just went to the website and it is definitely a movie and the website has some interesting content.

http://www.killeratlarge.com/

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Brings up a good point....a terrorist attack that immediately kills a handful of people makes everyone take some sort of action.....but it's the silent and slow killer that kills millions that people ignore....if its not an immediate threat...we dismiss it....and that in itself is sad.

I hope it doesn't solely blame fast food, junk food or soda companies (not that it's not a part of the problem)...but fouses on the fact that it's our control what we put in our body...sense of personal responsbility. No one forces us to eat junk food. Of course they need to be educated better than what the FDA pyramid says....more grains and bread anyone?

Sad when you think about the obese kids and how much they are decreasing their lifespan before they even begin to really live.....and where are their physicians and how did they let them get that overweight? I think the time for "we don't want to hurt their feelings is over"....it's time for "lose weight or don't expect to live past 30". Something tells me many need that wake up call before they take any action.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 06-30-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Welcome to America, where everyone's committing suicide in one way or another, but everyone's too dumb to realize it.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Daniel Olmstead

If anyone has seen WALL-E, I found the future that movie paints of humanity to be deeply, profoundly disturbing - particularly smuggled as it was in a kids' movie. I hope that movies like these finally begin to drive the point across, but to be honest I don't have a great deal of hope.
Daniel Olmstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Jordan Glasser

How about a GI tax? Any pre-packaged food that has enough sugars to significantly increase blood sugars should be taxed.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Hunter who is 9, yesterday made the observation that the family in lives in the same condo complex as us always drives their trash to the dumpster. He also observed that everyone is very heavy and that they always come home with 3 24 packs of soda once every few days.

I had never said one word about this family to him. On one hand I don't want him to start judging people, on the other hand I was surprised that he correlated all that together into a reason why they were large.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Glasser View Post
How about a GI tax? Any pre-packaged food that has enough sugars to significantly increase blood sugars should be taxed.
People will still pay money for junk....rising prices won't slow down sales.....ever see what those damn fancy drinks at Starbucks cost?

It's more mental at this point....people KNOW what is bad for them...yet they laugh it off and still eat to excess....people KNOW that they need to exercise more and eat less, then sit on the couch and eat chips watching TV.....they just don't care....so the question becomes....how do you REALLY make people understand they are killing themselves....how do you make people start to CARE...as they say they KNOW...but obviously they really aren't getting it to complete understanding...as who in the right mind would want to willingly commit slow suicide
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Lightbulb

For the most part I agree with what is being said here. I do have a slightly different take on it however. When it comes to careing not careing or knowing and not knowing it is hard for me to judge. I actualy believe that most of humanity is doing the best it can. I am not saying its a pretty sight its just a sad state of reality that human kind has become so disjointed from our natural state of existance within this universal environment that we are more destructive than productive. We are a society of of ambivolince and lethargy and it makes for some real negative consiquinces on a wide spectrum of venues.

What I mean by "doing the best they can" is that best is an extreemly relative measurement as far as capability at any givin time. The thing I have learned to be true in my life is that a human has a miraculouse ability to grow. Our best is never the same at any givin second there is no limit to our potential and the biggest disgrace I see in society is our lack of honesty open mindedness and communication.

In Japan ther is a microcosim of this best they can principle at work in the corporate and industrial world. A worker is judged as working up to their own potential. Honesty and honor are very important in this world and you will receive raises and benefits and maintain job security if you are performing to your individual perceived abilities not some arbitray ruleing of success and competition within the workforce. In america we consider this to be stupid and unproductive. However the Japanies work environment and economy suggests otherwise.

Ignorance is both a state of being and a state of mind and the state of being is so easily removed that it is hardly a barrier. It is the state of mind that is seemingly makeing our future relationship with this planet and both our local and international communities so grimm.

That being said I would like to adress the fact that not all of humanity is doing the "best" they can. There is a powerfull minority that I believe intentionaly dismisses the facts involving the horrindous consiquinces of there actions. I can not and will not name these individuals and have little power to influence them.

I do however have power of influence. My favorite quote amongst many great ones is from Mohatma Gandh " you must be the change yo want to see in the world." I am not perfect and have done many imperfect things however I am not ignorant and I know right from wrong so every day I can make a choice to do the best I can. I beleive the best I can is to better myself constantly and to always put the needs of others at the forefront of my actions. By doing this my life becomes more full and the wold becomes an easier place to care for. Many people... most people seem to me to be suffering in their own way and they are silent as to or are ignorant of. I believe there is a universal perseption of the sad condition of humanities state in almost every aspect of our reality and it hurts each one of us from the time we are very young. Yet most peole don't have the cognative ability to name their pain. So they are angry, judgemental, depressed controling, selfish, violent, depressed, ambivolent and lethargic. It is hard sometimes to see past this and have faith that somewhere at their base humanity was created "good".

I am not a perfect example but I realize I am an example and I try to be a positve one especialy to help those who I percive to be acting in a negative mannor. I love communicating with people who are "enlightened" however it will be impossible to be there for those who may want to be happy if we isolate and concentrate on the downfalls of our fellow man. Being aware is essential, but acceptance alows possitive forward motion. Acceptance that things are the way they are and though things are not looking very promising the future is not yet written.

I realize that this has gotten way off the specific topic of the video however I find it to be intricatly related. Obeisity is a disease it needs treatment it takes education reserch care and understanding to help an obeise person get become healthy. Eating is also an addiction and addiction is a disease which needs a completley different treatment.

I also believe that the information we all possess as to apropriate human diet is not widley understood and that it is fought against by people in a position of power whether due to ignorance misguidance or downright greed. Yes obeicety and malnutrition is a industry. There is alot of money to be made there and if the cereal companies didn't have the promotion of there products as part of a heart healthy balanced diet they would go out of buisness. This need effects our governmental stance in support of big industry and agriculture to promote the consuption of grains. Then there is junk food but that is another story but it is spured by the want for immediate satisfaction and nutrition on the go coupled by the sugar cravings of a diet high in carbohydrates. It is an epidemic and is veiwed as simply bad descision makeing. I do beleive that there is a good deal of bad descisions involved but it is way bigger than that getting to the rout of any societal disease is based in the culture and our culture is not in a good state right now.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Derek Simonds

Liam WOW. That's all I got for you right now.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Derek Simonds

So a buddy sends me a link that I think goes right along with this discussion. I am not against anyone selling ads to generate revenue BUT does anyone else find this absolutely absurd?

If I had known that Taco Hell was the missing ingredient from my diet I would have made that change a long time ago.