Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Fenthis Glusos

Default Doing a weekday 17-18 hour fast...

so I eat for either 7 or 6 hours depending on what I feel like. On the weekends I eat at all times -- even though I don't enjoy eating all day.

My question is, how spaced out should my meals be so as not to get diabetes - being blunt here, but that scared me enough to increase my eating window.

Thanks.
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Fenthis,
To be blunt, this seems like a trolling post.

Where in the world did you get the fear of diabetes from eating meals too close together on IF? If you can't justify that, I don't see why answering your question is necessary...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Fenthis Glusos

I'm sorry if it came off like that...but I was referring to this post http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1970
Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenthis Glusos View Post
I'm sorry if it came off like that...but I was referring to this post http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=1970
You didn't really read the rest of the posts.

If your diet is high in sugar and other processed crap... you might have a problem.

Otherwise, if it's Paleo or something like that you will have NO problem at all.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Fenthis Glusos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You didn't really read the rest of the posts.

If your diet is high in sugar and other processed crap... you might have a problem.

Otherwise, if it's Paleo or something like that you will have NO problem at all.
Yeah, but its in comparison with the alternate day fasting routine which was likely the same kinds of foods eaten, no? ADF with shit food didn't lead to diabetes but IF with shit food (uncertain really in this regards) does.

I don't know...but wouldn't that suck if we all came down with diabetes because of our diet. The irony in that would be just too much.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
so I eat for either 7 or 6 hours depending on what I feel like. On the weekends I eat at all times -- even though I don't enjoy eating all day.

My question is, how spaced out should my meals be so as not to get diabetes - being blunt here, but that scared me enough to increase my eating window.

Thanks.
Diabetes has to do with eating the wrong kinds of foods and getting non-stop insulin spikes....creating high insulin levels...creating insulin resistance over time....creating more insulin release....creating more insulin resistance....creating more obesity...creating diabetes...etc. Not eating has the reverse effect on giving your body time off insulin to improve your insulin sensitivity. If you are drinking soda and eating sugar all the time then you are going to increase your risk for diabetes...no matter how many times you are eating and how spaced out it is. If you eat one meal a day loaded with carbs, it probably will not help your fasting insulin to be reduced. Best idea is always smaller meals with any IF plan with a focus on healthy proteins, fats and whole food carb sources (fruits, veg, etc)

If you want studies on IF and improvements to diabetes risk factors see below:

Quote:
Dietary restriction has been shown to have several health benefits including increased insulin sensitivity, stress resistance, reduced morbidity, and increased life span. The mechanism remains unknown, but the need for a long-term reduction in caloric intake to achieve these benefits has been assumed. We report that when C57BL6 mice are maintained on an intermittent fasting (alternate-day fasting) dietary-restriction regimen their overall food intake is not decreased and their body weight is maintained. Nevertheless, intermittent fasting resulted in beneficial effects that met or exceeded those of caloric restriction including reduced serum glucose and insulin levels and increased resistance of neurons in the brain to excitotoxic stress. Intermittent fasting therefore has beneficial effects on glucose regulation and neuronal resistance to injury in these mice that are independent of caloric intake.
from here
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
That study had people eating a "carb bomb"....aka tons of carbs in one setting....late at night...so yeah that is not a good idea. IFOC (IF on Crap) never works...never will.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Fenthis Glusos

O.K. thanks guys, that really helped clear it up for me -- I try and refrain from shit food anyway, but the meal timing thing had me agape at first but then I actually read one of the studies in that post:

Quote:
subjects consumed all of their calories for weight maintenance distributed in either 3 meals or 1 meal per day (consumed between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm). Energy metabolism was evaluated at designated time points throughout the study by performing morning oral glucose tolerance tests and measuring levels of glucose, insulin, glucagon, leptin, ghrelin, adiponectin, resistin, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Subjects consuming 1 meal per day exhibited higher morning fasting plasma glucose levels, greater and more sustained elevations of plasma glucose concentrations, and a delayed insulin response in the oral glucose tolerance test compared with subjects consuming 3 meals per day. Levels of ghrelin were elevated in response to the 1-meal-per-day regimen. Fasting levels of insulin, leptin, ghrelin, adiponectin, resistin, and BDNF were not significantly affected by meal frequency. Subjects consuming a single large daily meal exhibit elevated fasting glucose levels and impaired morning glucose tolerance associated with a delayed insulin response during a 2-month diet period compared with those consuming 3 meals per day.
So from that it appears that even eating 3 meals (albeit smaller) in the same time frame from 4-8 had no ill-effects, contrary to the one huge meal in that time.

SO...then, would one huge healthy meal be a good or bad thing?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
So from that it appears that even eating 3 meals (albeit smaller) in the same time frame from 4-8 had no ill-effects, contrary to the one huge meal in that time.
Bingo....and keep in mind they both consumed the same amount of calories...and majority of it in the one meal was processed carbs.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

OK Fenthis, I apologize.

From my work in the weight loss field, here is what I know about eating small, sparse, high processed carb meals spaced well apart.

That will mess up one's blood sugar bigtime (technical term, of course) and lead to excessive bodyfat accumulation. Serious bodyfat accumulation.

Whereas I eat mostly Paleo and eat twice (sometimes once) a day and I'm across the table from them at a very healthy level of bodyfat.

A car won't run on the wrong type of fuel. A car will run on the right type of fuel, and then amounts become relevant (only after the proper type is used).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote