Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
Liam Dougherty Springer

I can't help but want more information as to the choices for foods, scheduling of food intake, meal sizes, and how the foods are being measured.

The big draw back of the zone is the complexity of its implementation. I actualy think that at least the first zone book does not really stress the importance of folllowing a paleo style diet as far as food choices even his meal plans and referenced food choices are heavy in dairy and allow some grains and desert type items.

I would suggest reading the article "42 ways to skin the zone" by Robb Wolf aviliable in the Performance menu store. I would also suggest nutritiondata.com for referencing nutritional content and I would especialy suggest uping fat content. The sources that work for me are avocado, Coconut, and Extra virgin Olive Oil.

I must defer first however to the recomendations above these people have a tremendous knowledge base and have only helped me tremendousely with any advice they have offered. Perhaps while you are taking a break you can further reserch the nutrition plan which may benefit you more.

Other than the article mentioned above Dr. Loren cordains book The Paleo Diet I found very helpfull as far as better understanding food choices.

I should mention I am a CFer and a Zoner with a much elevated fat intake (3-5x)however I do not typicaly freak out when I nibble outside the lines I just find it a fairly solid premis for the amount of food my body requires. Oh and before IF I needed to maintain close to 1 gram of protien per pound of lean body mass in order to feel energetic and recovered from exercise.

Thats more than enough from me
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Someone really nees to write an article on overtraining/undertraining. There really has to be at least 5+ threads a week in CF forums alone ranging from various reasons.

I will try to do it.. but I can't guarantee anything anytime soon.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Someone really nees to write an article on overtraining/undertraining. There really has to be at least 5+ threads a week in CF forums alone ranging from various reasons.

I will try to do it.. but I can't guarantee anything anytime soon.
High volume/intensity exercise done way too often and long term low calories diet with OCD zone behavior and no off days (non-diet) = recipe for burnout, injury and halt to weight loss

Not a full article but sums it up...I bet it messes with more women then men....hormonal thing probably...that and their "cheat" days are probably not high in calories at all
Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
High volume/intensity exercise done way too often and long term low calories diet with OCD zone behavior and no off days (non-diet) = recipe for burnout, injury and halt to weight loss

Not a full article but sums it up...I bet it messes with more women then men....hormonal thing probably...that and their "cheat" days are probably not high in calories at all

I thought about this thread for a minute and realized that I never go a full three months of CFing without takeing a week off at least.

Was told that when I first started by a man who had been CF certifide and doing CF for many years.

Whenever I overtrain my most glaring symptoms are irritated tired and I can't get to sleep or sleep through the night thats when its time for lots of rapid nutrition and a rest day or two.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post

Slightly more in depth than that.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #16
Camille Lore

For the last month or so, I haven't tracked my food on the weekends.
Last weekend, I went to a PA Dutch festival and ate whatever. I even ate some pretzel nibbles or whatever those things are out of a bag when I got home. I actually felt better after just eating what I wanted, but I bet you're right that I didn't come even close to probably 1200 cals that day.
This morning on the way to work I pretty much ate a whole container of fresh blueberries.
Steven-you're right, someone should write one. I ran across something from Glassman I think that said people undertrain and can really handle more. Coming from a couple of years of laziness to 5 months of CF and then adding a few CF Endurance WOs on top during the week I think I just bit off too much.
Went to bed very early last night, ate what I wanted when I got home. Feel a bit more refreshed today.
Off to finish the blueberries...
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #17
Camille Lore

Default Feeling better

Thanks to your suggestions, I've taken the last few days off including from the Zone. Although it's been hard to try to get good caloric intake without counting and tracking, I feel much better. Maybe it's the rest, maybe it's just eating whatever. I've also been making sure to take a multivit and vitamin C. Also been sleeping about 10 hrs a night.
One thing I have noticed in the past few days is that when I shower, there is a LOT of hair in the drain after. Does this have any significance?
I'll be taking about 2 more days off and then getting back to a scaled down CF routine.
Thanks so much for your help-I feel much better now.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Tirzah Harper

I agree that most people CAN handle doing more than they currently do - but it has to come from somewhere. If I were to suddenly get a physically active job (please! make my year!), I'd be sleeping like a baby and eating a LOT more than I do now - and loving it! If I were to get a physically active job, have to go around on the same amount of sleep and food as I do now - or worse yet, go to Zoning on 11 blocks, which I KNOW I have to eat more than that - I'd be feeling pretty crappy in short order.
In my personal experience, I don't lose bodyfat unless I'm healthy and happy. If I get sick, guess what? Fat stays on. If I'm stressed out, same thing. If I'm not recovering enough to be ready to at least go hard the next day...you get the picture.

Right now I'm doing more Gant Grimes' hybrid programming and very few WODs. I came back from vacation to set three PRs on Tuesday and went in this morning to completely ditch my workout after having to bail on easy lifts when my brain just couldn't hang onto things. So I just played around after that.

Eh, I have only personal experience, no expertise, but I offer it anyway because sometimes it helps.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #19
Chris Bardwell

I find taking Rhodiola and going for a good social dinner and beer with friends helps me recover. I make sure I eat whatever I want (I avoid fast food) and drink a good amount of alcohol and I really enjoy the whole thing. A celebration of sorts to reward myself for training and whatever life has thrown at me, I will normally eat very sparingly the afternoon before a feast.
I will always fast the following morning but I eat so much it makes sense, then go back to my Art Devany style eating and lifestyle of moderation.

I will do this sometimes once or twice a week and sometimes once a month depending on my schedule, it helps keep me sane and helps me feel better as being too strict isnt good for the body or soul, we by nature are made to indulge and over eat on occasion.

So basically that is my method to avoid feeling worn down, took me a while to figure out but it works.
Chris Bardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #20
Camille Lore

Thanks again. I just took a little over a week off and went out of town for a few days. I tried to eat a lot, but I realize that I probably underate more while I wasn't zoning! However, I do feel more rested and have more energy now.
My nagging elbow tendinitis that I've been struggling with for about a month seems better now too.
Now, to formulate a plan for returning to training and losing a bit more fat...
Another thought- I really have no idea what my intake should be...Tirzah- I think your Daily Plate shows you aiming for around 1400 cals a day?