Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Landon Stubberfield

Default Conditioning

can anaerobic conditioning such as ross's magic 50 negatively affect my speed?

I suppose itd be useful for the 400+ events but Im talking raw speed. Ive been doing that kind of training for a while and I like it so I dont want to stop. Its also explosive (db swings, snatches, burpees etc) so I guess itd be good. Thoughts?
Landon Stubberfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yes, any sort of metabolic conditioning or endurance conditioning will negatively affect power (generally speaking).
Old 07-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

I've served some time as a Sprinter....(velodrome..simiar to T&F but very different as well) I can't honestly say whether I think it hurt much at all with absolute speed but it's a matter of degrees and you're not going to learn how it works for you from anyone here.

The internet gives one unprecedented access to scientifical studies and learned blathering and expert testimony of various flavors....try one of these two options....

1) Give it a try and see what happens...

2) Ask someone who's an expert in sprint training....

the answer to almost every question is "it depends". figure out how it works for you...then share what you learned.

I don't mean to be a prick..I just notice you have some pretty serious goals, don't waste time fiddling about with planning and dickering.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon Stubberfield View Post
can anaerobic conditioning such as ross's magic 50 negatively affect my speed?

I suppose itd be useful for the 400+ events but Im talking raw speed. Ive been doing that kind of training for a while and I like it so I dont want to stop. Its also explosive (db swings, snatches, burpees etc) so I guess itd be good. Thoughts?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on these two points but as I recall explosive movements need to be done with near maximal force (>75% 1RM) to be useful for sprint training so db or kb swings/snatches might not be that beneficial unless you're doing heavy singles or triples rather than high rep sets with a relativeley light weight. Also with eplosive exercises where the load remains in the hand there is a deceleration phase towards the end of the concentric contraction so peak power outputs are best achieved by throwing the weight rather than holding on to it. Obviously you shouldn't throw your barbell around the gym but throwing heavy medicine balls or sandbags can be useful for power training.

Edit: Found an interesting looking website -

http://www.sprintology.com.au/training.htm
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Darryl:

1 RM when your sprinting is actually very little "1 RM" for example as opposed to say dragging a sled behind you with weight (which is not a good idea for sprinters regardless). In any case, as you mentioned as long as there is no deceleration phase the exercise is good, and as I was saying as long as the exercises are not metabolically taxing (aka you start breathing heavily afterwards like you would after a 400m run) then you should be fine. Stay away from anything aerobic or exercises that aren't done at maximal acceleration.. and stop when you start to slow down as that can retrain slower movement patterns (hence why CF metcon inspired box jumps aren't that great for power work; metabolically taxing and you just start to slow down which is defeating the point of explosive/plyometric exercise). However.......

What the OP should really do is get a sprinting coach instead of asking on the forums though. If he's serious that is. You want to eliminate pretty much everything that isn't going to help the sprinting otherwise you'll never make it to the olympics or have a world class time. I don't even know if it's doable in 4 years either unless you're super genetically gifted.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Landon Stubberfield

Only 1 way to find out if its doable. Im prepared to put in more than 4 years if I find that there really is a chance. Not to toot my own horn but I do think I'm gifted as I've always responded well to any kind of training, but more likely its how hard I work on anything I'm doing that makes the difference. Some gifted people half-ass everything and make only typical gains and some regular people throw their whole heart & soul into what their doing and progress exceptionally well. If nothing else I will be the best I can be.

I will be getting a coach so I can do this right. Forums are just the best I've got right now.

I'll cut out the conditioning, I'll miss kicking my own ass but whatever lol. Thanks for the help.
Landon Stubberfield is offline   Reply With Quote