Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Besides football and track, I imagine Josh can hold his own playing softball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, or whatever else. Genetically, he is a better human than most of the others. Most won't get to be Josh Everett, regardless of the amount of training, supplementation, or whatever else they do. Sorry. That's life.
Get some skates on Josh and let's see you play some ice hockey! Ha.

Actually he would probably have a wicked shot.....

Gant...such the dream crusher.....but alas yes, some people have the "gift"...and then others play in men's league along side me. Which goes to say....people should just focus on their own performance and happiness in what they do...otherwise they may spend an eternity trying to be something they are not....or were not meant to be. Role models are great inspiration...but should not be a measurement for personal comparison...unless you like feeling inferior all the time. Which goes along with....find your strengths...and go with that. The world needs less people average at everything...and more people who excel at one thing...no matter what it is. Make your training reflect that as CF is a great tool to use, but also training must have specific focus on your area of expertise you are trying to accomplish (sport specific, etc). Like any tool....it can be used the wrong way or just way too much....as you don't run around with just a hammer thinking it will do everything from clean windows to iron your clothes.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

That explains why my house is breezy and my shirts have holes in them.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

The PMenu article from Josh and I about his preparations will be forthcoming...


Josh's workouts right now are very sustainable over the long term. I still have my doubts about full-on mainpage WODs. The burnout rate is way too high.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
David Stout
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
The PMenu article from Josh and I about his preparations will be forthcoming...


Josh's workouts right now are very sustainable over the long term. I still have my doubts about full-on mainpage WODs. The burnout rate is way too high.
I eagerly await that article.

I fall exactly where some of you mentioned and am now trying to find my way through all of this stuff.
David Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Pat McElhone
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Anyone who believes the CFWOD is the optimal fitness program is delusional. It's a cookie-cutter program, which works pretty damn well for a lot of people (like the Zone diet), but it's not specifically tailored to get everyone to perfection.

I believe the vast majority of people who think they can develop a program for "optimal" fitness that is better then the CFHQ WOD are delusional.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #16
Dave Van Skike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
I believe the vast majority of people who think they can develop a program for "optimal" fitness that is better then the CFHQ WOD are delusional.
I think delusions are optimal and fitness is optional, further I think vast is optimal.
__________________
Practical Strength
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Anyone who believes the CFWOD is the optimal fitness program is delusional. It's a cookie-cutter program, which works pretty damn well for a lot of people (like the Zone diet), but it's not specifically tailored to get everyone to perfection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
I believe the vast majority of people who think they can develop a program for "optimal" fitness that is better then the CFHQ WOD are delusional.
You are both correct.
__________________
"It should be more like birthday party than physics class." | Log | 70's Big
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Liam Dougherty Springer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Get some skates on Josh and let's see you play some ice hockey! Ha.

Actually he would probably have a wicked shot.....

Gant...such the dream crusher.....but alas yes, some people have the "gift"...and then others play in men's league along side me. Which goes to say....people should just focus on their own performance and happiness in what they do...otherwise they may spend an eternity trying to be something they are not....or were not meant to be. Role models are great inspiration...but should not be a measurement for personal comparison...unless you like feeling inferior all the time. Which goes along with....find your strengths...and go with that. The world needs less people average at everything...and more people who excel at one thing...no matter what it is. Make your training reflect that as CF is a great tool to use, but also training must have specific focus on your area of expertise you are trying to accomplish (sport specific, etc). Like any tool....it can be used the wrong way or just way too much....as you don't run around with just a hammer thinking it will do everything from clean windows to iron your clothes.

That is the most reasonable thing I have seen posted in this thread so far. Why can't we all just be and enjoy being? Wheather CF is the ultimate or not its deffinatly effective and to a degree that surpasses any other program which is taylored for the masses. Lets just let it be, and rejoice in its trials and triumphs.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Chris Bate
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
That is the most reasonable thing I have seen posted in this thread so far. Why can't we all just be and enjoy being? Wheather CF is the ultimate or not its deffinatly effective and to a degree that surpasses any other program which is taylored for the masses. Lets just let it be, and rejoice in its trials and triumphs.
This is getting really philosophical, lol.
Chris Bate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Well, since we kinda got off topic, let's just say the main question is this:

Should CF main page programming be modified (or have different ability levels.. kind of like scaling -- possibly more strength work for beginners for example) such that it would "obtain" the ability to make people more fit in the same given amount of time as the previous main page programming? Why or why not?
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator