Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Darryl Shaw

Default US backs statin use for children.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7496988.stm

I've got a better idea; stop feeding kids crap and make them do some exercise.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

But that doesn't line the pockets of pharamceutical interests with cash. I fear more and more for the children everyday...they are a testing ground for all kinds of crap.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

It will only get worse until people are fed up enough to revolt. In a way, I'm actually looking forward to it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

FDA is owned by big Pharma...or best to say "employed".....it's going to have to come down to mass re-education and personal choice to stop taking every pill handed out.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Viva la Revolucion!!!
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Ari Kestler

The problem isn't pharma or the medical industry. The problem is that people like us make up less than .0001% of the population...that, and parents are more willing to let us prescribe a drug with side effects than convince them to make their kids workout and eat vegetables. I don't know whether it's laziness, lack of belief in healthy eating and exercise, disinformation, misinformation, you name it.... I get really tired of the medical community bashing...it gets old...I think it would be more prudent to direct your criticism against people and less against big bad corporations... corporations provide solutions to problems people are too lazy to figure out on their own, or solve differently. It doesn't make corporations the evil guys.

/rant
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Paul McKirdy

The first American Revolution was executed by only a very small percentage of the entire populace .

The storm is brewing, and it's about to break. It won't be much longer before the pendulum starts swing back the other direction and cleaning lots of house.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

I heard about this the other day and got really worked up over it. Sure let's give statins to 8 year olds!

In the US if your kid is being bad in public and you swat them on the ass or pull them by the ear or smack the back of their head, you'll be lucky if someone doesn't call Child Services on you. But if you fatten your kid up like a freaking cow, let them play video games 10 hours a day during the summer and cut back to 4 hours a day during the school year and give them diabetes, high cholesterol....etc that's OK!

My friend's wife worked for 2 of the major pharmaceutical companies as a rep and boy did it leave her with a bad taste in her mouth from what was being pushed down from the top.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

The problem is I don't have a TV show....that would solve everything!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Paul McKirdy

I recently worked for a pharma services company that managed "meetings" between pharma's and Dr's. Talk about a bad taste...

Pharma companies have more money than anything I could ever imagine, and they willingly give it away to anyone will prescribe their crap. Government regulation is a complete fallacy. They play shell games with what they call what buckets of money that they give to different entities. Bah, I could go on all day. And I am a database professional and worked primarily on reporting and compliance data, so I saw the numbers first hand, it was sickening.

When I visit my parents and watch any TV at all and see commercials for pharma all over the place it sickens me. It's like a twisted Hollywood future come true. So glad I ditched TV years ago...

At some point I'm sure individual people think they are helping, but in the end it's all about the cash...
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote