Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

Capitalism (in this country's version) thrives on consistent growth.

The only way the medical industry grows is:
More sick people.
More expensive treatments.

Someday the bank will be broken and the men behind the curtain will get their comeuppance.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
Camille Lore

I live with someone who would rather take medications and suffer side effects than eat properly, exercise and take fish oil. It makes me nuts. She eats maybe 700 calories of large chunks of protein and starchy carbs most days and wonders why she feels like crap. And her daughter, who lives off 100 calorie packs and soda had to go to the ER for belly pain-turns out she's constipated. God forbid she eat vegetables or that the parents tell her she needs to.
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
I get really tired of the medical community bashing...it gets old...I think it would be more prudent to direct your criticism against people and less against big bad corporations... corporations provide solutions to problems people are too lazy to figure out on their own, or solve differently. It doesn't make corporations the evil guys.
So...if crack was legal, we should not blame the manufacturers of crack...or the dealers...it's not their fault people want the crack so that makes it all ok? There's no moral obligation to show (and not hide) studies that show harm to people taking the crack? If the medical community gets funded by the pharma, educated by pharma, and pharma's only goal is to increase profits....how are they being misrepresented here? A doctor has a choice whether to prescribe...or not. You can separate life saving medications from lazy lifestyle medications. I'm all for life saving.....I'm not all for lazy lifestyles. I know many doctors who tell their patients to eat better and exercise...yet you know they (the patients) won't because they know a pill covered by insurance is easier to do. We need doctors....and more good ones out there to help change things one person at a time.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Ari Kestler

Getting parents to feed their kids healthy and exercise even after you extol all of the life long benefits is next to impossible for one reason or another. And I'm not even talking about putting them on paleo or zone. I'm talking about even adding a little broccoli to the plate and less soda. From the little I've seen, parents either don't care, don't have good habits themselves, or are genuinely skeptical ("they are kids, they'll grow out of it, they have their whole life to be healthy, I don't want to be a bad guy, my kids already resent me, yada, yada, yada")... so unfortunately, even after telling the parents about how much easier and effective diet and exercise are, and all of the potential drug interactions, side effects we are left between a rock and a hard place.

Do we let the kid just continue to spiral out of control, eventually developing DM and other complications of obesity, or do we prescribe a drug?

Believe me when I tell you that every doctor would much rather prescribe diet and exercise than a medication, not just from your perspective either, think about the paper work, the liability, the wasted time to follow up, the list goes on and on...
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

I gotta go with Mike on this one Ari. Pharma doesn't want us getting healthier, they want us getting over one symptom and moving onto the next.

Most doctors don't bother to really see this considering the "continuing education" by pharmaceutical companies. I can't argue that doctors would rather not have to prescribe a pill, but I don't think that they mind the check from the insurance company or the co-pay either that goes along with the follow up. Life saving drugs... good... like Mike said though, everyday lifeSTYLE drugs that have shown to have a long list of side effects and tend to have little efficacy... very very bad.

Considering the sorry state of most physicians' health, I'd seriously doubt whether or not they know what proper diet and exercise are... though they will tell you to consult with them before you start a new regimen... which they are typically wholly unable to critique properly.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

I am going to make up t-shirts that say "Obese Children is Child Abuse".....wonder if that will sell well

Doctors need to give their patients a wake up call (telling their patient to lose 20lbs or plan on dying 20years earlier...probably gets more response than just saying they need to exercise more)

Parents need to get a wake up call (as they are slowly killing their own kids and need to be held accountable....parents get in more trouble for spanking a kid than they do making their kids overweight and sick)

People need less "disease" names (which are just crutches as it takes away from their personal power and sense of control of their health)

Pharma companies....wants to sell more products....making people healthy is not good for business. There's a difference between the life saving ones.....and the other things that are not neccessary.

It all starts with trying to stop blaming things ...people ...McDonalds ....genetics ....and just taking full control of what we need to do right now. More role models....more success stories....people desperately need inspiration.

That and make drugs really expensive and out of pocket....maybe that will motivate people to try other things first.

The internet is a powerful tool....as the truth can get out there....people can find answers....can't make anyone take responsibility for themselves, but at least we can help educate people more.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-17-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
It all starts with trying to stop blaming things ...people ...McDonalds ....genetics ....and just taking full control of what we need to do right now. More role models....more success stories....people desperately need inspiration.

That and make drugs really expensive and out of pocket....maybe that will motivate people to try other things first.
The key word that tends to come up when people start the blame game is "I".... "I have crappy genetics", "I wish I would get in shape, but I don't have time", "I just can't resist the [insert fast food or junk food here]", "I just don't care"

People will get inspired when their kids die before they do, as morbid as that is to think about. What is it? Something like kids who are 10 years old now are part of the generation that will be the first to not outlive their parents on average?

This one of the few things i can get truly fired up about if you hadn't noticed. People not taking responsibility, or just not caring about their health and in turn, creating a public burden "irks" me.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #18
Camille Lore

Short story- about 1.5 yrs ago I went in for a checkup bc my hands and feet were always cold. Doc sent me for bloodwork. I weighed somewhere between 160 and 170 then bc my diet was poor and I wasn't exercising. My fasting blood sugar came back as 100. I just realized a few days ago that this is the lowest end of pre-diabetes bc somone posted a question to Dr. G on this board.
My doctor never told me that, never mentioned losing weight, watching my nutrition. I think if I had heard that when the results came back, I might have done something earlier. I am slightly pissed that nobody mentioned it.
And then last night I watched as my friend's daughter ate a huge ice cream cone after not eating more than 3 pieces of broccoli with Chinese food for dinner.
It's frustrating bc I from what I have learned about nutrition and exercise, I know what this diet is leading to. And the mom's a nurse. You'd think she would be more concerned, but it's a divorced family,yadda yadda
Camille Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Garrett Smith

Don't get me started on the nurse topic...on average, they are the sickest people I see, coming in with the strangest things.

They work an insanely hard job, at often insane hours, for very little appreciation. That, combined with crappy diets and stress leads to big problems.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #20
Ari Kestler

All of you are correct in saying that most of the medical community isn't adequately informed about correct nutrition...according to your standards, but even their recommendations which you will find pretty basic and common sense (less sugar, less soda, less juice, less fried foods, less salt, more vegetables, more vegetables, more vegetables, exercise, exercise, exercise) while not perfect, aren't even being followed. Imagine the looks if you said something like, how about no grains, legumes, or dairy? I know the look because I've gotten it just in discussing it with colleagues and professors.

I agree pharma is out for $, doesn't want us to be healthy, etc, but that isn't really the problem here is it? The problem is that people not taking responsibility.

It shouldn't really be any surprise to any of us, if you are faced with an immediate life threatening illness you waste no time, go to the doctor, ER, whatever and get it looked at, evaluated, taken care of... If you can't see something that is slowly progressively killing you, you aren't going to do anything about it. (you being humans in general here) ........
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote