Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #101
Yuen Sohn

09-Feb-2009

Tuna tartare with avocado, chicken satays, a burger, and an apple.

For the past month or two, I've abandoned any semblance to a structured squat program. Keeping track of all these percentages, reps, and sets got tiresome, so I just decided to have fun with it (much like it was when I first started lifting) and simply squat heavy and often. I was finally rewarded tonight with a 7.5kg PR, seemingly from out of the blue. I credit the gain to my recent increase in avocado and booze consumption.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #102
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuen Sohn View Post
09-Feb-2009

Tuna tartare with avocado, chicken satays, a burger, and an apple.

For the past month or two, I've abandoned any semblance to a structured squat program. Keeping track of all these percentages, reps, and sets got tiresome, so I just decided to have fun with it (much like it was when I first started lifting) and simply squat heavy and often. I was finally rewarded tonight with a 7.5kg PR, seemingly from out of the blue. I credit the gain to my recent increase in avocado and booze consumption.
Good stuff, Yuen. Heavy lifting, enjoyable programming, and steady intake of fat always leads to good things.

Judging by your avatar, you might like this shirt.

http://www.birkoph.com/Wolf_tshirt.htm
Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #103
Xuan Mai Ho

Ok, Yuen, I need your professional advice.

How do I get avocados nice and ripe? I've tried putting them into paper bags. Storing them in the oven. Storing them in paper bags in the oven.

All.Hard.Like.Rocks

I'm on day 8 of my cabbage obsession. If I can figure out how to get avocados decently soft, then maybe I can kick this cabbage habit.

P.S. Maybe it's because I buy my avocados from street vendors?
Xuan Mai Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #104
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Good stuff, Yuen. Heavy lifting, enjoyable programming, and steady intake of fat always leads to good things.

Judging by your avatar, you might like this shirt.

http://www.birkoph.com/Wolf_tshirt.htm
Thanks! I was falling victim to paralysis by analysis for a while, so it was nice to break free from that rut.

If they made a wolf singlet, I would undoubtedly be snatching 150kg by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuan Mai Ho View Post
Ok, Yuen, I need your professional advice.

How do I get avocados nice and ripe? I've tried putting them into paper bags. Storing them in the oven. Storing them in paper bags in the oven.

All.Hard.Like.Rocks

I'm on day 8 of my cabbage obsession. If I can figure out how to get avocados decently soft, then maybe I can kick this cabbage habit.

P.S. Maybe it's because I buy my avocados from street vendors?
Ah, great question! I hear that placing a ripe banana or apple in the bag with the avocados willl hasten the ripening process. I will confirm this with Princess Aguacate and let you know.

Personally, I'm too impatient, so if I can't find a ripe one at the market, I just move on. I'm very picky when it comes to screening potential candidates.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #105
Yuen Sohn

18-Feb-2009
Meal: Lunch

A less-than-spectacular dollop of guacamole accompanying my beef burrito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I have a fairly simple philosophy when it comes to training. Never miss a workout and focus your effort on your weaknesses. That said...

Since you are having trouble with the clean, I would put the majority of effort into the squat clean itself. What I noticed last night was a non-level pull and a non-level/rotated squat under. That is OK with maximal weights, but you were sub-maximal at 100 KG. May I suggest some deliberate progressions of 3 sets of 1 with with, for example, 90 - 92.5 - 95 - 97.5 -100, etc. stopping your progression not when you fail but when your form starts to fail. You may do more singles with your last good effort weight if you wish.

As far as assistance exercises, I was going to suggest bent over rowing pulling the bar not to your chest but to your lower abdomen. This will give you the constant feel of being "over the bar" which will definitely help your pull in both the clean and the snatch. Start light and keep the reps in the 6 -10 range. Be careful not to strain your lower back. Stop at the first sign of any pain or tightness. Use both a wide (not quite snatch) and narrow (clean) grip.

Deadlifts, in moderation, are always good. Do them heavy for a few sets (no more than 3 heavy sets) once a week. The other exercises you mention are good to, but I would only do one assistance exercise. If you do a lot of cleans, then more than one assistance exercise is too much. Remember this -- if you can't deadlift it, you can't clean it!

Since you are not getting pinned with the weights you are cleaning yet you may want to reduce your squatting as you may be increasing your squat cleaning significantly. You can't go crazy on the squats and the squat cleans at the same time, so go a little lighter on your squatting for a while. I think you will find yourself moving under the bar in a smoother, more efficient and more comfortable manner as the excess tonus dissipates from your legs, but it will take a few weeks for you to notice the transition. You must be patient.
I must say, session one of the clean progression was stimulating, without sucking.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #106
Yuen Sohn

19-Feb-2009
Dinner for two

2 ripe avocados (THESE had personality!), bacon, yogurt dip, turkey, hummus, wheat bread, and cookies n cream ice cream.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #107
Xuan Mai Ho

3-2-09
Hamburger Patty + Special Puerto Rican Avocado Salad (homemade by PR hubby)

3-3-09
Steak + Special Puerto Rican Avocado Salad (homemade by PR hubby)

Sickness + weeklong training class = No LBH last week and this week

My Penance:

I went to Equinox at Columbus Circle at the prime time hour of 7:30pm where I found a trainer "training" his client on the platform with planks and stretches. So, I started lifting in the middle of the floor close to the platform, hoping the trainer would get hint.

Then (a different and brand spanking new) trainer decided to tell me all about his 'expertise' in O-lifts (he's a USAW-certified coach).

XM: "Oh, do you lift as well?"
BPSNT: "No, I'm a triathlete. But the lifts are fun! Let me watch you lift and I'll give you pointers!"

This was my punishment for not making it out to LBH.
Xuan Mai Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #108
Yuen Sohn

Date: March 3rd, 2009
Meal: Dinner

Guacamole with chips, along with a chimichanga platter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuan Mai Ho View Post
My Penance:

I went to Equinox at Columbus Circle at the prime time hour of 7:30pm where I found a trainer "training" his client on the platform with planks and stretches. So, I started lifting in the middle of the floor close to the platform, hoping the trainer would get hint.

Then (a different and brand spanking new) trainer decided to tell me all about his 'expertise' in O-lifts (he's a USAW-certified coach).

XM: "Oh, do you lift as well?"
BPSNT: "No, I'm a triathlete. But the lifts are fun! Let me watch you lift and I'll give you pointers!"

This was my punishment for not making it out to LBH.
Oooh, I can't wait to get pointers from him too!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:49 AM   #109
John Alston

last night - an avocado with grape tomatoes, sprinkled with seasoning, second half of dinner.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #110
Yuen Sohn

16-Mar-2009
Lunch

A dollop of less-than-stellar guacamole accompanying my chicken quesadilla.

Fortunately, I’ve got 10 huge alligator pears camping out at home, patiently awaiting to audition for a spot in my belly.

From the Chronicles of Mikey Shortz:
“Hey, I mean, you don’t need to drop the weights from that high.”
“I mean, you don’t need to drop them from so high, I mean, come on.”
“Come on now, it’s dangerous.”
“The plates can’t take that.”

"What you gotta do that stuff for?"
“Stop dropping the weights. You’re gonna break them. That’s why our stuff breaks, because you’re dropping all the time."
“If you can lift it up, you should be able to put it down without dropping it”