Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Default Please define "athlete"

This will probably piss some off. I've always thought of an athlete as one who does something beyond training just for the sake of training. I've seen some people who can destroy a metcon workout but couldn't catch their ass with both hands.

If you're a guy or girl who can do 30 rounds of Cindy but trips on his or her feet on the way to the water fountain, I have a hard time calling you an athlete. Am I off base here?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Dave Van Skike

yes...

yes....

No.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

Nah, I'd say you pretty much nailed it. Though, people tend to look at CF as sport, and as such, consider themselves athletes.

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around that one at times too...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Pat McElhone

I concur. One of the many things that may have been lost as CF grew was the premise of playing actual sports (I do not think Fitness was determined to be a sport in Oct 2002). This is in CFJ#2.

A little off this topic but, Track and Field is called "Athletics" outside this country.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
John Alston

Fitness is not a sport, just like Strength is not a sport. Nor is balance.
Athlete, to me, is someone who plays a competitive (at least at some level, even a low competition level) sport.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Athlete, to me, is someone who plays a competitive (at least at some level, even a low competition level) sport.
Isn't this the whole reason for the cross fit games? to give those people a venue for competition? I mean, I think it's sort of ridiculous given the scaricity of competitions but whatever, if people can invent new religions, why not a sport to go along with it? fair enough,

highland games and strongman probably started with two yokels hefting rocks and throwing sticks...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

I like Charles Staley's much less scientific and philosophical approach to it:
Quote:
-Developing an unnatural mindset — everything from becoming mentally tough, open-minded, goal-directed, and laser-focused. You might even develop an autotellic approach to training: doing things for the love of doing them, rather than only for the secondary gain. The “naturals” among us can’t wait to get finished — the “unnaturals” can’t wait to get started.
I think saying, "If you don't play a competitive sport, you're not an athete" is part of the problem in our society whereby athletes are people wholly different than the rest of us. Is running a 5k competitive enough? How do we set that threshold? What is "competitive enough"?

Frankly, to me, if you're out there improving your fitness, not just so you can down a pint of Haagen-Dazs at night, but because you genuinely love being active, striving to be stronger/faster/etc, and competing, even if just against yourself, you're an athlete. I don't see a need to set some arbitrary bar to the term just so we can disclude some from calling themselves as such. Athlete is a mindset more than anything.

Fitness Spotlight
Old 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
So it's the application of one or more components of fitness that makes a thing a sport and a person an athlete. A girl that has great balance is not an athlete; that same girl, walking on a 4" beam and doing flips is an athlete. The strongest guy in the gym who just lifts for the hell of it is not an athlete; the scrawny guy who is training specifically for a powerlifting meet (using periodization, selecting opening lifts, etc.) is an athlete.

I can go wtih that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
highland games and strongman probably started with two yokels hefting rocks and throwing sticks...
That, IMO, is the essence of athletic competition, an ancient sport born from necessity. In the early days, there was a need to run, wrestle, and fight. There was--and still is--a need to left heavy stones and hit other people with sticks.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

I don't compete in anything anymore, however, if someone decided to say that I wasn't "athletic" (and hence, an "athlete"), I would highly disagree.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

The Teddy rule....

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

one can be athletic...like an athlete...

one can be a former athlete...

but...Athletes compete.