Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
joe waguespack

Default Question regarding IF and Paleo rationale.

I'm not doubting either of these nutritional concepts , just wondering. I am following an IF eating schedule with Paleo food choices, and I absolutely love it and can't see ever eating any other way. THe more I read and learn about it the more I see the mention of the way Paleolithic man ate and the food choices he had. I guess my question is , how do we know that Paleo man was lean, muscular and healthy and lived a long life? Of course Paleo man was not concerned with how much he could lift or his BF% nor did he even have a concept of life extension, other than "don't get eaten". It also seems to me that fat storage would have been a plus for him and also would have been done instinctively. Which is what most of us are working against.

I know there are studies that have shown what his diet consisted of, given the regions and what was available in those times, but do we really know how healthy he was or how eating in this manner effected his body comp.? Was his diet really that much of a factor in the lack of disease or was the fact that the world wasn't polluted and they didn't have TV, cell phones, internet, chemicals floating around everywhere and the fact that laziness just wasn't an option?

I'm sold on the concept so I am not doubting it in any way, I have just been wondering about how we came to the conclusion that this is the way to eat. Other than common sense and the obvious benefits that we have personally experienced.

Just a discussion topic, thats all.
joe waguespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Ari Kestler

The short answer is No. We will never really know.
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
The short answer is No. We will never really know.
NEVER?
Nope.
I guess not.
Mmm, caveman like ice cream...
Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Belief that if you eat what the body was designed to handle....then it will work at optimal capacity. Other than that, doubt cavemen were low BF% during winter when they needed fat to survive.....we've just learned how to tweak it for better body composition results, as survival against the harsh seasons is no longer an issue for most. Feast/Famine is also a part of nature and makes the organism stronger for it....nature never had intended for drive-thru 1000 cal meals and 24/7 convience store access to food.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Liam Dougherty Springer

I have recently become fascinated with the idea of seasonal eating and exercise. In short a spring of getting more active and eating lots of the berries and veggies that are becoming availiable along with small game and foul. A summer of high intensity CF main page type stuff eating lots of veggies and lean meat and fish and some fresh fruit. A fall of more strength and heavy shorter metcons like MEBB (preparing for winter storage) More food with lots of root veggies, squashes, dark greens, fatty cuts of meat and autom tree fruits. By winter fall into a few months of strictly strength work and skills development with some lengthy meditative practices, nuts, game meats, organ meets, dehydrated cured or smoked meats and sausages, olives, of course Olive Oil, along with some dried fruits. The winter would become a fully ketonic state towards the end. Finally take a nice rest maybe some body work stuff and make my fast windows longer and caloric intake reduced for a couple of weeks before the spring hits again.

I am sure it has been done and some of the folks here probrebly do it already. Sounds pretty fun and seems to make alot of intuitive since as to both fitness development and health and longevity. On the vain side of the equation most of the fat gain will be going into the winter when we stay covered up and it will coencide nicely with the holidays.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
David Melrose

No.

Pure speculation at best.

Is there a ideal diet for man? Yes.

Did they discover it guessing at what paleo man eats?

No.

Is going without grains and dairy going to extend your life?

No.

Even if it did do you care about going from 80 to 85?
David Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
joe waguespack

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Melrose View Post
No.

Pure speculation at best.

Did they discover it guessing at what paleo man eats?

No.

Is going without grains and dairy going to extend your life?

No.

Even if it did do you care about going from 80 to 85?
Actually, I care about going from 80 to 105.
joe waguespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
iEven if it did do you care about going from 80 to 85?
I care about being functional and chasing women at 85.....and not the status quo of being kept alive by meds and sitting in a chair all day.

Quote:
and what is that ideal diet? Please don't say the Zone. Personally I think there is no just "one ideal diet" with it's set of percentages of macronutrients and so forth....just what one can gather about how our bodies were meant to function and how to apply to our personal lives and daily activity needs....there are centurians who eat high amounts of carbs from veg and live long....they are people who eat high amounts of fat and meat and live long....there are people who drink and smoke who live long......80/20 is my rule.....eat healthy 80% of the time with natural foods and meats....chase women, eat some grains and drink beer the other 20%....probably live long and have a fun life. Controlling and having low insulin is pretty much the health marker we should all strive for...to help live longer and starve off degenerative diseases of aging.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I care about being functional and chasing women at 85.....and not the status quo of being kept alive by meds and sitting in a chair all day.

and what is that ideal diet? Please don't say the Zone. Personally I think there is no just "one ideal diet" with it's set of percentages of macronutrients and so forth....just what one can gather about how our bodies were meant to function and how to apply to our personal lives and daily activity needs....there are centurians who eat high amounts of carbs from veg and live long....they are people who eat high amounts of fat and meat and live long....there are people who drink and smoke who live long......80/20 is my rule.....eat healthy 80% of the time with natural foods and meats....chase women, eat some grains and drink beer the other 20%....probably live long and have a fun life. Controlling and having low insulin is pretty much the health marker we should all strive for...to help live longer and starve off degenerative diseases of aging.

I know a man who has to be 80+.... Only reson I dont know is cause he looks 60 or less... He has been bringing me into this line of diet for about 8 years... I hope to be like him when I grow up.cool: I care about my quality of life until I run out of life. Then it wont matter nearly as much:

I know which diet he is talking about... oh crap... what is the name of it... Oh Yeah... The food pyramid.

Cant lie I do like the zone. I don't prescribe to the zone like I used to but following it for a period of time really helped me figure out when my body is in hormonal balance. By bluring the lines a bit I have been falling into a more individualized diet by just listening to my body. Works for me.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Steve Liberati

First, I think knowing what not to eat is as important as what to eat.

If any diet can be called "bad" it's the one that people in the industrialized nations have been presented with in the last half-century, a diet of highly processed foods loaded with preservatives. Although I think the important point is not so much that it's bad for us, but but whether it's healthy (and it clearly isn't, for many people).

Various people and cultures have thrived on different diets over countless generations, making it hard to claim there is one right way to eat. Remeber the Eskimos in Canada who thrived on a diet strictly of deer meat void of fruits and veggies. They adapted to a diet, that you and would likely not survive on.

So we have learned what doesn't work for us in the modern world, leaving us to retrace our roots back to what worked has worked. Once you cut out the processed crap, sugars and frankestein foods of the last century, you'll find
yourself eating and following a "paleo" diet.

Eating "paleo" to me isn't so much about eating exactly like our ancestors who probably ate bugs, insects, plants, shrubs, tubers, weeds, and other foods most today would consider off-limits. Rather "paleo" is avoiding the modern day foods that are bodies still have not had a chance to adapt to (grains, cinnamon buns, bagels, corn, candy, gatorade, lunchables, twinkies, etc).

And perhaps, our bodies will NEVER have a chance to adapt to the modern food diet either, if the diseases of the modern/western world wipe us before we make it to find out.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote