Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Probably would of been easier to say:
- there are essential amino acids (proteins)
- there are essential fatty acids
- there are NO essential sugars.....as in the body needs them from outside sources....as it can make it's own internally....
Nah, that picture is awesome.. well, maybe just to Robb and I.... or maybe just ot me.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nah, that picture is awesome.. well, maybe just to Robb and I.... or maybe just ot me.
Your hogging Greg's Bandwidth.....may cost him another $10/month in hosting charges....
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Your hogging Greg's Bandwidth.....may cost him another $10/month in hosting charges....
No, all images are hotlinked.. he's not paying anything. Although the site hosting that may get angry (health-science-spirit.com)....

There's really no way to uplaod anything to rape his bandwidth other than avatars which aren't really high quality pictures anyway and won't take up much bandwidth. Text based posting isn't that much either! So ha!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
Dave Van Skike

You know that Doors song, The End...that's an awesome song.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
John Schneider

Here's some more from my class that I thought you guys would be amused by. This week we touched on fat then tried to combine the recommendations for all the macronutrients and the results were all jacked up. See below.

Quote:
) Based on peer reviewed literature what is the maximum fat intake recommended for your active individual (express as total grams). Make sure you show how you calculated the recommendation- weight of individual, type of activity, age, etc.
Fat should make up 20-35% of energy consumption.(1) Since my athlete is on a 2100Calorie/day diet (based on the PRO recommendations and his goal to gain weight), he should take in between 46g ((2100x20%)/9) and 81g ((2100x35%)/9) of fat per day.

Quote:
2) For your active individual summarize in an easy to view format the following:
a) Age, weight, gender and activity level of the individual
24yrs old, 155lbs, Male, High activity level
Quote:
b) Grams and Calories of CHO recommended for the individual
350-490g/day 1400-1960Calories/day
Quote:
Quote:
c) Grams and Calories of Protein recommended for the individual
57-183g/day 228-732Calories/day
Quote:
e) Grams and Calories of Fat (lipids) recommended for the individual
46-81g 414-729Calories/day
Quote:
f) Total Caloric intake for the individual (based on the grams recommended from b-e above).
Between 2042-3421Calories/ day would be the recommendation according to the simple addition of these components. However, my athlete is gaining weight on a 2100 Calorie diet. The problem here is that the recommendations for the CHO donít match up with the rest of the requirements. The minimum value recommended for CHO was 5-7g/ kg while the minimum recommendation for Protein was only .8g/kg. The minimum recommendation for PRO is supposed to represent just short of a 15% Macronutrient distribution. If .8x70=56=15% then the total caloric intake should be 56x4=224 which divided by .15= a 1493Calorie diet. The minimum recommendation for the CHO provides 1400Calories by itself which would be a 94% which leaves little room for PRO and Fat. My athlete keeps a detailed food log and was holding steady in weight at 1550-1700 Calories/day. Clearly there is something wrong with these recommendations.
(1) Melinda M. Manore, Nutrition and Physical Activity: Fueling the Active Individual, Presidentís Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Series 5 No.4 March 2004

If I'm missing something here, please let me know before I post my response and anger my teacher and insight all the students who can't critique what they read into a rage.
John Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
Mike ODonnell

The fear of fat is stupid and a complete lie
http://www.fitnessspotlight.net/2008...you-need-them/

That and train any athlete on a low(er) carb diet....and then carb load him for an event.....so he is used to fat as fuel and uses carbs only for "turbo boost"...will crush any other athletes eating carbs all day long....and those are the ones that eventually "bonk" and need gatorade.....
Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #17
Trygve Lunde

i agree. but when you have to deliver almost every day, how should it be then? Like Sunday, Wednstay, Thursday and Friday i have to be 100% specially on Sunday. Should i then do low(er) carb on Sunday, Monday and Friday? and high carb the other days?

Quote:
The fear of fat is stupid and a complete lie
http://www.fitnessspotlight.net/2008...you-need-them/

That and train any athlete on a low(er) carb diet....and then carb load him for an event.....so he is used to fat as fuel and uses carbs only for "turbo boost"...will crush any other athletes eating carbs all day long....and those are the ones that eventually "bonk" and need gatorade.....
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Here's some more from my class that I thought you guys would be amused by. This week we touched on fat then tried to combine the recommendations for all the macronutrients and the results were all jacked up. See below.

Fat should make up 20-35% of energy consumption.(1) Since my athlete is on a 2100Calorie/day diet (based on the PRO recommendations and his goal to gain weight), he should take in between 46g ((2100x20%)/9) and 81g ((2100x35%)/9) of fat per day.

24yrs old, 155lbs, Male, High activity level

350-490g/day 1400-1960Calories/day
57-183g/day 228-732Calories/day

46-81g 414-729Calories/day

Between 2042-3421Calories/ day would be the recommendation according to the simple addition of these components. However, my athlete is gaining weight on a 2100 Calorie diet. The problem here is that the recommendations for the CHO donít match up with the rest of the requirements. The minimum value recommended for CHO was 5-7g/ kg while the minimum recommendation for Protein was only .8g/kg. The minimum recommendation for PRO is supposed to represent just short of a 15% Macronutrient distribution. If .8x70=56=15% then the total caloric intake should be 56x4=224 which divided by .15= a 1493Calorie diet. The minimum recommendation for the CHO provides 1400Calories by itself which would be a 94% which leaves little room for PRO and Fat. My athlete keeps a detailed food log and was holding steady in weight at 1550-1700 Calories/day. Clearly there is something wrong with these recommendations.
(1) Melinda M. Manore, Nutrition and Physical Activity: Fueling the Active Individual, Presidentís Council on Physical Fitness and Sports Series 5 No.4 March 2004

If I'm missing something here, please let me know before I post my response and anger my teacher and insight all the students who can't critique what they read into a rage.
Your math looks fine apart from the bit about 1400kcal of CHO being 94% of 2100kcals (it's 66.67%) so the most obvious explanation for the discrepancy between predicted calorie requirements and claimed calorie intake is your athlete is leaving a few things out of his food log.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #19
John Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Your math looks fine apart from the bit about 1400kcal of CHO being 94% of 2100kcals (it's 66.67%) so the most obvious explanation for the discrepancy between predicted calorie requirements and claimed calorie intake is your athlete is leaving a few things out of his food log.
No, the 1400kcal of CHO is compared to the minimum of Calories recommended for day based on the suggestion that .8g/kg of PRO is adequate for 15%.

Trust me, I've seen this kid eat. He is meticulous. He doesn't really eat anywhere near that many carbs. He is almost following a 40/30/30 but instead of CHO/PRO/FAT it is more like FAT/PRO/CHO. He has a very low BF% (sub 10% at least) and has only performed better since he raised his fat content.

I really think the recommendations from the mainstream are broken.
John Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #20
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Trust me, I've seen this kid eat. He is meticulous. He doesn't really eat anywhere near that many carbs. He is almost following a 40/30/30 but instead of CHO/PRO/FAT it is more like FAT/PRO/CHO. He has a very low BF% (sub 10% at least) and has only performed better since he raised his fat content.

I really think the recommendations from the mainstream are broken.
Before accepting your athletes food log as fact it's worth considering that his BMR is going to be around 1753 kcals/day so if he's doing anything more demanding than scratching his ass he'd be losing weight if he really was eating 1550-1700kcals/day.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote