Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
thomas beasley

Default Paleo Diet and the Circadian Rhythm

Over the past two weeks, I have had serious trouble sleeping and I feel like my circadian rhythm is out sync. My diet is very similar to a paleo diet; more or less seasonal eating, no grains, no sugars, no processed foods, and no dairy (minus the occasional cottage cheese to help swallow pills).

I have been eating this way for years now, however with in the last year, I cut out grains and dairy. But I have not had a problem sleeping, minus the occasional sleepless night because of stress or something. The first couple nights I did not think anything about it but after a week and half it is time to look into possible reasons and solutions.

Have others had this problem who follow a paleo diet? And to what extent can diet play a role in affecting the circadian rhythm?

I did try to look for myself on PubMed, and found a few articles but I could only look at the abstract and citations. After reading the "Guide to PubMed" and registering, I still could not look at the articles. Maybe it is because of lack of sleep. I also found a few other papers and resources from a google search. But they were one, either trying to sell something, or two, scientific papers that had too many big words and numbers and not enough pictures. I blame this on double majoring in International Relations and Poli Sci. I was not required to take much science in college, and now it just makes my head hurt trying to decipher it.
thomas beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Some journals give out their articles for free, and those can be accessed from Pubmed, especially if the paper is really important. But other than that, you either need access to an online database through a university or you need to go to a university library in order to get the vast majority of full text journal articles.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

Art D wrote a good post on insomniacs back in August of this year.
Check out the write-up here: http://www.arthurdevany.com/2006/08/insomniacs.html

As someone said in the comments, "I think magnesium could be helpful primarily to prevent some restlessness."

Not sure if its placebo or not, but I'd started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement prior to bed for the last few months and I've noticed a remarkable improvement in my sleep at night. I seem to sleep throughout the entire night and have many more dreams than I did in the past (I guess implying better REM or "deep sleep"). Give it a shot.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Billy_Brummel

Thomas,

If you find some articles that you want, I can see if they're on my university database.
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
thomas beasley

I guess I will be making a trip to my old university this week to do some research.
thomas beasley is offline   Reply With Quote