Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #131
R. Alan Hester

Derek, it was not too much. Thanks again.

3 Jul
BJJ Private (1 of 12)

Worked basics of spider grips and foot positions and drills. BEST money I have ever spent. Working with a Black Belt that can fix a mistake immediately is priceless.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #132
R. Alan Hester

5 Jul

BJJ Private

-Spider guard grips and guard retention review.
-Spider guard transitions between armlock and omoplata on a kneeling opponent and sweeps on standing.

Again, working drills and technique with a high-level teacher is worth it. I don't have to wait until a live roll to discover the little details of the tech. are wrong, which it were important ones are.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #133
R. Alan Hester

7 Jul
BJJ

Worked close guard pass to mount and cross collar choke. Nasty.

4x 10 min rolls: Worked spider guard during all rolls. Hit lots of sweeps, omoplatas from bottom and bent arm locks from top, after sweep.

Feeling good for Saturday. Although I don't often train no-gi (3 times in 10 months), I might compete in it just to get more rolls in. Will post videos if I get it.

8 Jul
30/15 intervals Burpees and KB swings for 15 minutes
stretching
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #134
Derek Simonds

Sounds like you are ready to go. Are you competing in an age group division or the adult division? No-Gi is a ton of fun and I would do it if you can. It is so much faster. Either way enjoy it you are ready! I love spider guard by the way.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #135
R. Alan Hester

11 JUL
NAGA
First Competition
I lost. I had fun, however. It was an interesting experience.

The match went like this:

I watched the previous matches and noticed none of the heavy weights (200-225) wanted to go the the ground. This seems to be typical of most big guys. In fact, the two dudes in the match before mine spent the entire round (4min) with double collar grips swatting at each others ankles. I said to my teammates, "why doesn't one just pull guard and get this started?". Anyway, I decided I came here to roll, not dance the Judo salsa poorly.

So, my name was called and my nerves went to town. The match started and I secured a standard collar-and-sleeve grip, gave a nice push, then pulled guard. As I went for a sweep, he started to push a knee through because I did not stabilize in the closed guard (nerves caused me to try to transition without securing what I had--lesson 1). Then I transitioned to a half-guard sweep set-up, pulled a shitty sweep which led to a semi-scramble and I came out on top. I passed his guard and started to settle-in. Instead of going for the cross face as I was told by my BB, I went for a Kimura on the far side without killing the inside arm first.

(Cue ominous music).

I started to get too far over his center (lesson 2), and before I knew it, I was going heels over head onto my back--damn, ROOKIE MOVE. I immediately defended the cross-face and started to turn into him looking for a single-leg, but I did not secure the under-hook and bridge first (lesson 3). So, he tried to transition to my back, and I got to half-guard. Instead of getting to my side, I tried to go to deep half-guard. As I did, he was pushing a knee through to mount. I escaped but manage to get my back taken again in a semi-turtle, which usually is good for me, as I have good escapes from there.

It wasn't to be today my friends. We fought for a while, but with time expiring, I tapped to a RNC.

Afterward, I was so amped from the adrenaline, that did not recognize my opponent when talking to him 5 min after the roll. That my friends is what is called being in the black (read Sharpening the Warriors Edge for more on that). Essentially, it is what happens when your heart-rate exceeds a certain limit, you lose fine-motor skills and complex thought processes, and go into fight-or-flight mode. It really showed as I looked dazed and my thoughts were in slow motion.

I need to go to more competitions to get over this. I did not react that way in combat for Zeus' sake. Of course, I was more confident then.

Lessons learned:

1) Secure what you have before transitioning.

2) Keep a smearing pressure and do not get over his center.

3) set-up and secure the single before turning, or sit into guard or sit-out to standing.

I will try to post the video if I can save it to a smaller size. I recorded it in HD, so the file is over 500 mb.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #136
Derek Simonds

Welcome to competition and just for your information I would take you by my side in combat or competition anytime. Being in the black is kind of freaky. I unplugged a phone at our house so that we could practice dialing 911 with the kids so that if they ever hit condition black and need help they already have done it.

I agree with what you said about the things you learned. You have to secure your position a) for the points and b) so that you have a solid footing from which to attack.

I can't wait to see the video. Congratulations you have now officially done something the vast majority of people will never do for fun!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #137
R. Alan Hester

26 May 10

Jesus, it has been a long time since I have posted and even longer since I have done strength work.

AM: 20 min jog with wife

W/U:barbell complex

W/O: Deadlift 5x3; one-arm Dumbell Press 5x5, alternating

I need to create a 90 day plan for my big Peru hiking trip, which will entail 7days of 4-8 hours of hiking, with 2 15000 ft peaks.

PM: BJJ
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #138
Derek Simonds

Man it is great to see you posting again and still training BJJ. I imagine that you have been promoted to at least a blue belt now. How is the BJJ training going? Have you done any more tournaments?

I sent you an email about your Peru training.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #139
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Man it is great to see you posting again and still training BJJ. I imagine that you have been promoted to at least a blue belt now. How is the BJJ training going? Have you done any more tournaments?

I sent you an email about your Peru training.
Thanks again for the email regarding my Peru training.

Regarding BJJ, I was supposed to have tested 3 times now for my Blue, but have missed it because of work travel and not wanting to drive to Atlanta after just getting home. Only Jacare can promote to protect watering down of belts, so it is a pain in the ass for us affiliates. He makes it up once a year for a seminar, which is every November. I will be at 2 years in September, so I am fine waiting until November, because I don't compete much anyways.

Funny enough, I did compete on a whim in a in-house tourney this weekend which had guys from 5 Alliance affiliates. I had only trained once in two weeks due to work travel, and it showed. I won my first match by 10 points, missing an arm bar at the buzzer. For some reason, I had to go again before the other guys did, so I was a bit gassed and lost my second match. I could feel the positions, but lacked the conditioning to capitalize before it was too late. In the process, I took two elbows to the face/nose and was bleeding on me, my opponent, and the mat. I had to forfeit the 3rd place match because I could not get my nose to stop and could not feel my front teeth (feeling has since returned).

That being said, my instructor may change his mind with respect to blue, though I have not spoken with him. I am afraid I am one of those in-the-gym wonders who craps-out in competition, but I am getting better--this time I was aware of the people around me. Competing once a year is not going to improve my mind-fuck, but oh well.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #140
Derek Simonds

Hey that is awesome I took an elbow to the face and got a broke nose 4 weeks ago. I had the guys back with my head on the mat so I was upside down, guess where all the blood was running, yep right up my sinuses. It was shitty!

I told your story of going condition black in competition to my son last night. It was a great discussion. I also told him how I had a similar experience when he was at a tourney with me and he was the only one I could hear. One of my coaches was screaming and the only thing I could hear was Jr. What was funny was that he would repeat whatever my coach yelled so I got it just with a little delay...

To get your belt directly from Jacare is worth the weight.