Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #31
R. Alan Hester

27 Aug 08

Outdoor movement
100 yard up-hill run
20 push-ups at top
100 run down-hill
20 squats
x3

Then

overhead rock walk 30 yards
20 push-ups
overhead rock walk 30 yards
5 zercher rock squats
x4

then
long jumps x3 x 3

Dick Hartzell Lower Body Flexibility Routine using mcmaster pallet band

29 Aug 08
BJJ

First class today. 2 hrs. intro to moving hips on the bottom, kimura from the bottom. Then free roll with another newbie and an experienced blue-belt who just worked position with me (i.e., I tried to pass guard and he would let me after awhile, then regain, or let me walk into a sub, then give me some guidance.)

Very congenial atmosphere. Everyone seems to want to help and not just crush the new guys or hurt each other.

Thought I was in decent shape untill i rolled with a 230lbs experienced guy. Holy crap! Need to work on static-strength endurance. Holding guard for long periods was hard on the inside of my knees, but they have loosened back up already.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #32
R. Alan Hester

2 Sep 08
BJJ Day 2 (2:30 hours)

night class so different crew, but same level-headed, cordial aura. Everyone was very friendly and patient with me. I thanked them before every drill and told them I will try to not be a spaz.

Started with partner drills that served as warm-ups, methinks.

Learned arm-bar and a lapel choke that I have not learned the name of yet. Had to work with another new guy, who is 6' 8" tall and ~ 250. Holy Crap!

Later, 4 persons were at positions, and we got in a line and rotated thru. Each station started in different positions (e.g., mount, from back with goal of getting hooks in, side-control). If you won you stayed, if you lost you went to the line again. This was Great!

Next, we rolled for 5 min rounds, then switched. Had fun, learned a ton.

Going back Thursday and Saturday.

Neck feels 90%, we will see what morning brings.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
R. Alan Hester

5 Aug 08
JM
Foot Drills

Deadlift
135 x5, 185 x4, 255 x 3, 315 x 2, 370 x 1

Towel Pull-ups/ring-dip combo
5/5, 5/4, 5/4, 5/4

Stretching for 15 minutes, trying to get my neck and hips loose.

6 Aug 08
JM
Foot Drills

AS many as possible (AMAP) in 5 minutes
10 (5l,5r) x OAC&P w/ 24kg
10 (5l,5r) x sledge strikes with 16#
10 x lateral hops over heavybag
1 minutes rest
Repeat
--Completed 3 cycles each set

Flexibility for 15 minutes

Notes:Heart-rate dropped from 168 to 120 (48BPM)during minute rest between sets. I don't track heart-rate, but thought it would be good to test this occasionally to see how fast I recover.

Rest tomorrow then BJJ hopefully 4 times next week (2 gi, 2 no-gi). I will see how I feel though.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #34
R. Alan Hester

Default Holy Rolling

9 Sept 08
Gi BJJ

Warm-up/conditioning
5 laps around mat jogging
5 laps heels to butt
5 laps knees to chest
5 laps skipping
5 laps shuffle left
5 laps shuffle right
5 laps alternating L, R every 2 steps
5 laps sprint straight jog corners

5 push-ups/10 sit-ups x 18=90/180

Length of mat exercise, walk back:
shoulder roll left
shoulder roll right
forward roll
backward roll
shrimp
bear crawl
alligator
handstand walk
cart-wheel
few others i don't know the name of
Time 35 Minutes

Technique:

2 variations of the omoplata for adv
2 variations of guard pass for newbs (me)

Grappling: 3x 10 min rounds switch partner

1) Purple belt (Bi) put me in probably 7 different lapel chokes; an arm triangle; a kimura; and a few other things I don't know the name of.

I did manage to get back to my hip a few times, pass gaurd for one second, but lost it to side control then half.

2) Blue belt (Ch) controlled my sleeves too much. I tapped to: a triangle; some sort of gi choke; and lost count on the rest.

Again, managed to return to my hip in side control and get back to half and took back on scramble but could not get both hooks in, and was sweep.

3) white belt (Sa) we went back and forth passing guard. I got mount once and went for an arm bar, but i lost it. defended an arm bar and got back to guard a few times.

Notes: I suck and will for a long time.

10 Sep 08

No gi BJJ

drilled gaining underhooks standing; single leg and double leg take downs

Then got in a line and two persons`started standing and takedown wins, winners stays, loser rotates to back x 2 10 minute rounds

Then we all line-up and had to attempt to take down the instructor, who is a BB. I manage to shoot and get a leg, but I could not do anything with it.

Grappling: 4 rounds x 10 min

1) (Dev)
Former wrestler gave me hell. I got sub with a RNC; armbar; arm triangle because i keep crossing my own damn body in side control--#$%@!

2) got schooled--nuf said. Still getting back to my hip with shrimp, but I am not creating enough space. Did defend an armbar because i felt the set-up and rolled with him as he laid back to get pressure on him.

3) (N) Female, which is a new thing to get used to. i gave her enough pressure to help her work, methinks. It was helpful because I was not fighting for my life the whole time. so I could work an technique.

4) (SU) shot in with head down and paid with a guillotine--nice, dummy. I mange a kimura from half-guard, but could not finish it until I rolled on my back--first tap. Tried a triangle and arm from the bottom, but lost both due to poor tech. and sweat.

NOTES: Still suck. I need to be more aggressive. I am so worried about hurting someone due to bad technique that I do not pressure enough. ALSO, WILL START PUTTING MY FOREARM AND SHOULDER IN THROATS IN HALF_GUARD AND SIDE CONTROL for pressure. I have been avoiding this because it has not registered until tonight that was OK as everyone did it at will--no more.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #35
R. Alan Hester

12 Sep 08

Gi BJJ 2 hours

Day before NAGA so things were slow, which was perfect because my neck was killing me from the No-Gi monkeys (AKA former wrestlers) Wednesday night.

30 minutes stretching

Then Guard Pass techniques

Then 3 x 10 minutes rounds of grappling.

NOTES: Relaxed and focused on technique. breathing getting better. Did get neck tweaked agin when another NEWB decide he would reverse a collar choke by grabbing a leg and diving over me for some leg thing he saw on TV. I can see why people don't like NEWBS. Just because you see it on TV does not mean you should try it.

On a side note, a NEWB who was a know-it-all Karate guy came the first day I did to try it out. While going over a technique with a purple belt, the Karate NEWB decided to throw a shitty heel-hook on the purple-belt. He was told in a nice way to stop being a fool because you don't know what you are doing yet and people are not here to get hurt. The know-it-all never returned.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
R. Alan Hester

Travel from 12 Sept to 17 Sept
Caught a nasty Virus

20 Sept 08
2 1/2 hours
only 5 students attended, so each choose on technique to drill with the instructors help
1) Sweep from Half-guard
2) Sweep from side control
3) taking back of person in turtle
4) getting to knees form side-control
5) sweeping opponent who is standing
Then:
3x 10 minute roll

1) white belt--I pulled off the two sweeps we practiced and worked escaping side control,regaining guard, and passing guard. No submissions, but good roll

2) Brown Belt--he likes to grab sleeves and control my hips with his feet for the sweep. I did ok at first, then he slowly got position. I tapped to: Omoplata, arm-bar (x2), kimura x2. I did mange to get out of a triangle and and a kimura, but he transitioned well into something else, which I felt coming but could not stop.

3) White belt (female) She just won her class at NAGA this past weekend. Her techniques are good. I try my best to not muscle her, because it does neither of us any good. I manged to get get two armbars and a triangle and collar choke on, but my technique sucks, so i did not finish. She managed to get mount in a tumble and pulled a nice collar choke. When she get a solid submission in, I don't muscle out, I tap.

Notes:
My fuel economy has increased tremendously. I am relaxed when i need to be, and use gas when I must. Need to work on flexibility still.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #37
R. Alan Hester

22 Sep
JM
Keg Shouldering 26reps (2l,2r)/10 min @ ~120 lbs
Pull-up/Ring dip 4reps X 4sets pull-ups (BW, + 16 Kg X 4)

Stretching: lots of it

Notes: My flexibility is getting better, but I have a long way to go for BJJ flexibility.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #38
R. Alan Hester

23, 25, 27, 30 Sep
BJJ @ 2:30 hours

Sweeps week from half-guard, as well as two nasty chokes form side-control

2 Oct
BJJ @ 2:30 hours
Worked Guard passes: 1) hold opponent's arm to his hip, pressure up, pass arm under opponents body to other hand, drop to you opposite knee, thereby trapping opponent's arm, then pass to knee-down side.

Rolled 8 five-minute rounds. My game is better with guys my size or bigger than with smaller guys. I think it is because I am used to pressuring larger persons, so I am leaving space smaller persons can exploit.

I am FINALLY starting to hold my own with some of the guys that use to tap me religiously. It is because I have leaned to keep my arms in, pressure, and rolling on my hips is becoming natural.

3 Oct

JM
Keg Shouldering 32reps (2l,2r)/10 min @ ~120 lbs
Pull-up/Ring dip 4reps X 4sets pull-ups (BW, + 26 lbs X 4)

4 Oct
no-gi BJJ
2hrs

1) Half-guard escapes to back. 2) if blocked by Opponent (Op) getting top-side wissor and pressuring, you slide your arm though their legs, grab their ankle, while pinning Op wissor arm to side, then sweep.

4 five-minute rolls. Went very well, only tapped 4 times total, and learned a valuable lesson each time: 1) if shooting in take both arms with you less you be choked by a triangle. I am still learning what my hips are for, but they are slowly coming alive.

after practice:
One-arm dumbbell snatches (1 min rest)
4l,4r @30lbs
2l,2r @45lbs
2l,2r @65lbs
3(1l,1r @85lbs)
miss:95lbs

Pull-up/Ring dip 4reps X 4sets pull-ups (BW(205lbs), + 26 lbs X 4)

Notes: stamina is up even more, and I feel like adding more conditioning and strength on off days or mornings of. I do not feel crushed after practice anymore.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #39
R. Alan Hester

7 Oct

Jump rope 200 forward/backward
JM

Deadlift
45 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 1
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
335 x 1

My DL has fallen off the table since I started focusing on BJJ. Oh well, I must remember it is a supplement to my sport of choice.

Tabata Circuit
Set Gym boss at :20 work/:10 Rest
1) Airdyne
2) sledge on Tire
3) 24kg KB swing
4) mountain climbers
went 10 minutes straight

30 feet (15 both ways) handstand wall walks/5 BW towel pull-ups x 3

8 Oct 08
No Gi BJJ

Too tired to remember techniques after five 10-min rounds of rolling. Will sleep on it and try to write it tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #40
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
7 Oct8 Oct 08
No Gi BJJ

Too tired to remember techniques after five 10-min rounds of rolling. Will sleep on it and try to write it tomorrow.
Welcome to my world. Tuesday night was insane. It was all grappling all the time. No rest. I have been mainly to no-gi lately so I have to get some time in with the gi on before the next comp.

My biggest problem after working out like that is replenishing my body. I know I need to eat and I definitely know I need to drink but sometimes I am so beat down I can't.

I have started sipping a 32 oz gatorade before class on the days I know are going to be nuts. Like tonight. Then as soon as I get in the car I drink 32 oz's of water on the way home.

You sleep well when you train 5 X 10 minute rounds don't cha?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote