Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #41
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Welcome to my world. Tuesday night was insane. It was all grappling all the time. No rest. I have been mainly to no-gi lately so I have to get some time in with the gi on before the next comp.

My biggest problem after working out like that is replenishing my body. I know I need to eat and I definitely know I need to drink but sometimes I am so beat down I can't.

I have started sipping a 32 oz gatorade before class on the days I know are going to be nuts. Like tonight. Then as soon as I get in the car I drink 32 oz's of water on the way home.

You sleep well when you train 5 X 10 minute rounds don't cha?
I sleep like a rock after my mind calms down. Because this is still new, I have been thinking about it non-stop.

Like you, I have been drinking Gatorade. I know it is a Paleo no-no, but I feel like a truck hit me the next day if I don't drink it. I have Gi tonight and still feel drained, but, as I have found, the gi slows things down so much that I can muster the energy to do it.

My biggest issue is not wanting to eat. For instance, I was done with class at 20:30 but did not feel like eating until 22:00, when I ate 4 oz of chicken and 6 almonds.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #42
R. Alan Hester

9 Oct
Gi BJJ
Long BJJ Warm up (40min)
E.g.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut7zYx5RII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuv87KlXUE

Technique:
1)When you are standing in your Opponent's (Op) Spider guard (e.g., his right leg hooked around your left and his left foot in your right hip, with sleeve control)

1)you grab the outside knee of leg with foot in your hip,
2) step back with your right leg to clear your hip
3) punch Op left leg down and into his right
4) place you now-free right foot beside his left hip to prevent shrimp
5) swing your left leg out from his hook
6) you land in side control, while maintaining your right hand on his left leg.

2) same as above accept Op has butterfly and sleeve control.

roll: 3 x 10min rounds

Good: Rolling went well, pulled a few sweeps, an arm lock form side control, and worked out of an armbar and triangle.

I am still concentrating on playing open guard and going for arms, triangles and sweeps. I often pay, finding myself on my back in Op side control. I am fine with that because it gives me a chance to work escapes--which still suck.

Bad: must be tighter on top. When I roll with smaller persons, my looseness is exploited. Guys bigger than me of my size are actually easier to control, even though moving 215 plus pounds does wear on me.

My flexibility is coming, but still lacks.

Alan
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #43
R. Alan Hester

11 Oct

DB Clean+Front Squat+Press 80lbs x 5, 110 x 5, 120 x 5, 140 x 5
30 min weight vest walk
20 min airdyne

13 Oct
JM
Jump Rope

A1:Get-ups (l,r) 2 x 30lbs. 2 x 40lbs, 2 x 50 lbs
A2: towel pulls ups 5,5, 5

B1: plyo push-ups 5,5,5
B2: KB Swing 24kg x 10,10,10

Notes: My shoulder has been killing me since last week. Need to work the Get-up more for stability.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #44
R. Alan Hester

14 Oct

Gi BJJ

Guard Passes galore!

Rolled 4x10min rounds

Finally challenging other whitebelts who have been there much longer than me. Not pulling many subs, but "flowing" well (i.e., pulling sweep, finding good positions).

Still tapping to blues, but not being completely dominated.

I am finally figuring this stuff out. The details are SOOOOO important. I love the fundamentals 5 of Straight Blast Gym's tapes. I suggest you pick them up if you have the means. They are so choice.

15 Oct

Airdyne 30 min (Recovery Pace)

I am trying to reintroduce movement most days as my body acclimates to rolling.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM   #45
R. Alan Hester

16 Oct
grease the groove on pull-ups and climbed rope once at work.

GI BJJ

40 min warm-up drills

Then shark bait drill for 12 minutes: start with group of three. Two of the three start on knees and go for two minutes. At the end of two minutes, the person on the sideline comes in and "tags-out with the person in the dominate position. Therefore, if you are in the inferior position, you get another two minute go.

Technique:

A) start with Opponent (Op) on knees with his arms around one of your legs trying for a single leg after a scramble or from turtle. If OP has your left leg, for instance, and you are on OP's left side, you:

1) sprawl free (right) leg
2) put your chest on OP's shoulders
3) reach to OP's oppisite side and grab wrist to lock that arm
4) bring your sprawled leg (right) up to OP's elbow that is wrapped around your rapped left leg to block elbow in place.
5) extend your trapped leg, thereby breaing Op's grip and torquing his shoulder for the submission

B) same as above, except if you fail to lock near-side elbow, you:

1) extend OP arm as you straighten your previously-trapped leg
2) lock it in by crossing your legs
3) turn your hips toward OP butt
4) sit down with hips for the arm/shoulder lock submission.

Rolled 3 x 10 min rounds

1) White belt (Lu) w/ 1,5 years undr his beltDid well. No submissions from either person. I played A.P.E. guard the whole time. As a result, when I screwed the pooch on something, my guard got passed. I did manage three sweeps though.

2) Blue Belt (M) I played open-guard the whole time. Manage to work it pretty well, went for a few sweeps and arm bar, but my timing still stinks. Tapped a few times, but managed to escape side-control a few.

3) Blue Belt (P) Former college wrestler that gave me HELL when I first started. We went back and forth, but he manged to get my back after I rolled and turtled to escape a side-control choke. I defended him from taking my back for ~ 2 min, but he finally got it.

2min Sprawls, which I hate. Being 210 is great until I have to move up and down rapidly. I am going to drop down a few weight classes and maintain my strength.

Notes:
Things are coming together. I am finally "getting" it in some ways as things become more instinctual. I need to find some side-control escapes. I am doing well with gaining far-side underhook, bumping then getting to my knees. BUT I SUCK when it comes to getting my knee back in after bumps. maybe if I can institue a timeout system, or a do-over card. Yes, that is it!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #46
R. Alan Hester

17 Oct
15 min run (route 1: out and back with two 1/4 mile hills)

JM (10 min)

10 min:
3 chin-ups
6 diamond push-ups
9 Third-world squats
12 rounds

30 shoulder bridges up, left, right
5x15 sec back bends

Stretch

Note: Although my BJJ stamina and grappling specific strength have increased, my gym endurance and strength have gone to hell in a hand basket. Since BJJ is my focus, I can live with it. However, I will start working more in the gym on off days to supplement my BJJ more, unless my S&C pushes me over the edge.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #47
R. Alan Hester

OCT 21, 24, 28, 31
BJJ

Nov 1
Team Alliance BJJ Seminar in Charlotte, NC
Great stuff, only one technique that was too advanced for a newb.

Nov 2-5
Rest for my hands that are killing me. My DMP joints (distal-medial phalanges) on both hands on all four fingers have been aching and closing my hands completely has become difficult.

I think the combination of some carb, paleo and non, binges have caused this. The last two meals were paleo, carb free and my joints feel better, but are still tight. I need to be strict again.

Since I started BJJ 8 weeks ago I have been consuming more carbs than usual, due to class being a combo of 30-40 min conditioning, then ending with 40-50 mins of straight rolling.

Plan: go paleo again until Thanksgiving and only do PWO re-carb with paleo foods.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #48
Derek Simonds

I went to the doctor last week and while I was there brought up that my hands were killing me as well. He diagnosed it as some kind of tendonosis. He gave me a name that I promptly forgot a steroid dose pack and told me to shut it down for a while. I did and my hands feel amazingly good after 6 days.

I know paleo eating has a lot to do with it as well. I am little off the ranch right now on paleo since I am trying to put on some extra pounds.

You still good for a January visit to FL?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #49
R. Alan Hester

Yes, I will be there in Jan and am looking forward to a semi-private. The key is to make sure no evening meetings get planned so I can sneak away for some mat time.

RE: hands--I may have to go see the doc. I am putting it off because I still have not found a GP since moving last year. My wife has been beating my about the head over it, and the fact that I got my first case of Cauliflower ear--DAMN!!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #50
R. Alan Hester

6 nov
Gi BJJ

30 Min warm-up/mobility

2 techniques

4 x 10 min roll

Pulled a few kimuras and a nice scissor sweep and one from turtle that is becoming natural after I roll out of side-control. If person is aggressive it works perfectly, if not I can re-established guard. Still getting tapped by blue belts with chokes. I know no chokes, so I suck at recognizing them before it is too late.

7 Nov
Workout I have been doing this type of workout the last few weeks, but I have not been logging it.

warm-up
5 min airdyne
150 jump-rope
JM
2(10 ring push-ups, 10 BW squats, 10 ring rows)

Workout:
4x 15 sec (1:00min) Frog stands--balance is better
2 x 30 sec hand-stand against wall

3(4 pull-ups+24kg/6 sandbag shouldering:50lbs, 100lbs, 125lbs)

3(5 explosive[pull hard enough to create slack in rope] bodyrows w/ 1.5" rope + 5 longjumps)

later

Gi BJJ

reviewed techniques from the week

Skill: position/sweep drills with partner for 5 minutes, switch, then 5 min, for a total of 10.x3

roll 3 x 10

1) (B) a high blue belt, I did ok, bit still got caught in a scramble with my arm across my body, which leads to a choke

2) (Sc) white/blue belt: got an arm bar on but he locked his arms, so i tried to transfer to a triangle, but lost it and got guard passed. Oh well. I surprised him. Rolled to turtle and hit a sweep to side control. turtle is becoming natural for some reason. I need to learn more sweeps and submissions from there.

3) (BF) Brown belt. As usual, got schooled. I am making progress, though. Passed guard a few times, but he regained and made me pay.

Stretch