Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #51
R. Alan Hester

9 Nov
Rest. I was scheduled to have a private, but my left ear is getting bigger, so I needed to let it be until i drain it tomorrow.

10 Nov 08

2:30 hour hike through mountains.

Afterwards:
DL: 45x10, 135x5, 225x3, 275x2, 300x1, 300x1---SUCK--maybe the hike is it?
DB Press while sitting Indian-style(l,r): 40x10, 55x5, 55x5
Pull-ups (+24kg)3x5

Notes: My weight-room strength has fallen back to its pre-weight lifting levels, save pull-ups, which have increased . However, my relative strength and speed on the mat have improved tremendously. Also, I have dropped about 20 lbs in the last 9 weeks, as I am trying to hit 190 (current 205) by Christmas. Therefore, I need to let "it" go and just focus on my goal of improving my BJJ.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #52
Derek Simonds

Three points for your perusal.

1) You are having the same struggle over weight and strength that I am and a lot of the guys I train with go through. I never realized how much people thought about this until I started talking about it myself. Me I am trying to put on weight and it is hard as hell.

2) How in the hell did you get cauliflower ear? In general rolling if you feel someone is grinding on your ear tap. It isn't worth the aggravation. If you got caught it in transition because you got kneed or elbowed then man that sucks. I am laughing as I type this so take it with a grain of salt. My wife bitches at me non stop that if my ears get all jacked up she is going to make me quit. I always tell her if their jacked up it is too late so why quit.

3) Tell me where you are getting caught with the chokes and I will try to give you some pointers. I play a heavy choke based game from the guard. Most things I attack in closed guard come off the choke. I fake an X choke and go for an a sweep. I fake another type of gi choke and go for a triangle when they push away to defend. One of the main ways to defeat gi chokes in the guard is through good posture. If you are controlling your posture it makes it significantly harder to sink a choke. If it is a RNC, ezekiel or fist in neck I have some pointers as well. Let me know and I will try and help.

Your training looks like it is progressing fantastically. You have to be excited. When is your first competition? I know you looked at tournaments around you.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #53
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Three points for your perusal.

1) You are having the same struggle over weight and strength that I am and a lot of the guys I train with go through. I never realized how much people thought about this until I started talking about it myself. Me I am trying to put on weight and it is hard as hell.
Well, I am glad I am not being crazy. I have never had a problem gaining fat weight, as I put it on RAPIDLY if I consume carbs.

I have not been DL'ing, so I have lost my "groove". My sandbag lifts are increasing, so I don't know. The only time I have been out muscled is when I rolled with a 360 pound super-heavy. Standing I was fine, but on our knees he tossed me like a sack of potatoes. I need to find a happy place and stop comparing myself to others, including Rippetoe and his standards.

Quote:
2) How in the hell did you get cauliflower ear? In general rolling if you feel someone is grinding on your ear tap. It isn't worth the aggravation. If you got caught it in transition because you got kneed or elbowed then man that sucks. I am laughing as I type this so take it with a grain of salt. My wife bitches at me non stop that if my ears get all jacked up she is going to make me quit. I always tell her if their jacked up it is too late so why quit.
I got it during a transition while drilling an escape from a single-leg attempt. I did not feel it until the next day. After that, it has increased with normal bumps that happen.

My wife gave me the I-told-you-so speech today. I took it like a "man" and ordered a set of Brute Force head gear to wear until it heals fully. At least it is inside of the ear, so it is not noticeable.

Quote:
3) Tell me where you are getting caught with the chokes and I will try to give you some pointers. I play a heavy choke based game from the guard. Most things I attack in closed guard come off the choke. I fake an X choke and go for an a sweep. I fake another type of gi choke and go for a triangle when they push away to defend. One of the main ways to defeat gi chokes in the guard is through good posture. If you are controlling your posture it makes it significantly harder to sink a choke. If it is a RNC, ezekiel or fist in neck I have some pointers as well. Let me know and I will try and help.
I am not getting choked in guard anymore. I finally understand posture control and pinning one bicep if bottom man gets frisky. It is always comes in side-control, either fist-in-neck chokes or some sort of clock or baseball-grip chokes. I am having a hard time reentering my knee after framing side-control bottom anyways, so I think I am not paying attention as i struggle to regain guard. Lately, I have only been able to bridge, shrimp and scissor to my knees with an underhook or roll to turtle. My turtle game has improved markedly due to this (i.e.,I am pulling sweeps regularly, but the clock choke is getting in).

I get choked a good bit by one of our Brown Belts, but i cannot narrow the positions in which it occurs, because he chooses. I like working with him though because he transitions from submission attempts so well that I must be careful in leaving anything behind when working out of one.

Quote:
Your training looks like it is progressing fantastically. You have to be excited. When is your first competition? I know you looked at tournaments around you.
I am very excited at my progress. Some days are better than others. I have already picked some tournaments. How did you know? (*looking over shoulder*) We are planning an Alliance in-house tourney in December, which would put me at 14 weeks experience when competing. After that, I will do a few small tournaments in the NC/SC area, then shoot for NAGA in Fall 2009.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #54
R. Alan Hester

11 Nov

Rest--drained left ear cauli.

12 Nov

SURPRISE: my ear is swollen again after compressing it for 16 hours. oh well.

0530--oh my. Am I in the Army again?
warm-up
150 jump-rope forward/back
JM
3(10 ring push-ups, 10 rows, 10 squats)

Short Workout:
4x
15 Burpees/10 1.5" rope body-rows
7 minutes

Notes: I cut it short because I had to drive to Atlanta, GA for day.

Headgear arrived today. Will fit it and use for first time tomorrow for BJJ.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #55
R. Alan Hester

13 Nov 08
GI-BJJ

Warm-ups

Two take-down techniques

Roll 5x10min

1) L white-belt did ok, pulled two sweeps, but uneventful. He does the same thing every time. if he pulls guard, he squeezes his legs and lays there. if he passes he lays on you the whole time sprawled. he is scared to do anything that is new.

2) Ch bluebelt we had a good roll, he submitted me twice with chokes, but i pulled a kimora off on him that led to a sweep and side-control. He said I have improved remarkably.

3) B bluebelt (AKA Mr. Chokes) he goes for collar chokes all the time. I am getting better at holding posture, but my escapes from half guard need WORK!

4) Br whitebelt he is a big boy, who outweighs me by 30 pounds. I tried to play open guard but he got to half-guard, then took a nap on me. I tried to sweep, but i only know sweeps that use the top-man"s pressure. He finally passed, so i baited him to try to mount. When he did, I shrimp to the opposite direction, put and hand in his hip and pushed him over me to his back. Probably will not work on an advanced player. I pulled turtle a lot and worked on my escapes, hand control and recomposing guard.

I love turtle guard.

5)N bluebelt I passed his spider right away and pressure him for a while but got loose and he pulled guard. he tried a gogoplata an armbar, an triangle, and omoplata, but i escaped them without leaving anything behind. He also said I have improved a lot. SWEET

Notes: I wore my new Brute Force headgear tonight. It works great and is sleek and padded for your partners pleasure. Also, it is slim enough to pull out of submissions if you need to. I did have to endure the shit talking when i pulled it out, but I stood firm. Another dude who has drained the same ear 4 times buckle like a school girl. Peer-pressure.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #56
R. Alan Hester

15 Nov 08
warm-up
150 jump-rope forward/back
JM
3(10 ring push-ups, 10 ring rows, 10 BW squats)

Deadlifts:
5x5 135,155,185,225,255

Press:
5x5 45,65,95,115,135

pull-ups
3x5 BW, 12kg, 12kg

Notes: I am going to start working on my strength again now that I am handling BJJ well. Therefore, a 5x5 program will be the order of the day on strength days. Only going 2-3 times a week lets me recover well enough to start applying energy to gain strength again, as I have let it go to crap.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #57
R. Alan Hester

16 Nov 08
Warm-up:
100 jump-rope w/ two feet
100 jump-rope alternating feet
JM
3(10 ring push-ups, 10 ring rows, 10 BW squats)

Workout:
AFAP
50 Burpees/30 1.5" rope BW rows
25/10
15/10
15/10
Time: 5:12

AFAP
30,20,16,10,8 reps of:
24kg swings alt. w/ tire strikes @ 16# sledge hammer
Time: 7:17
Old 11-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #58
Derek Simonds

Allen and I both had a run at that 50 burpee thingy and I can't remember how fast I did it. I do know that I just generally hate burpees. With all the sprawl ball we have been doing lately I wonder if I could do them faster now. With sprawl ball I usually end up sprawling 60 - 70 times in 5 minutes so I am thinking I might be ok.

On the BW Rope Rows do you have the rope thrown over something so that you are holding an end of the rope in each hand or do you hold the same end of the rope in both hands? Did that make sense?

50 burpees sounds kind of fun. I will throw that in with the LCCJ tomorrow.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #59
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Allen and I both had a run at that 50 burpee thingy and I can't remember how fast I did it. I do know that I just generally hate burpees. With all the sprawl ball we have been doing lately I wonder if I could do them faster now. With sprawl ball I usually end up sprawling 60 - 70 times in 5 minutes so I am thinking I might be ok.

On the BW Rope Rows do you have the rope thrown over something so that you are holding an end of the rope in each hand or do you hold the same end of the rope in both hands? Did that make sense?

50 burpees sounds kind of fun. I will throw that in with the LCCJ tomorrow.
Derek,

I hate burpees, too, which is why I have decided to do them often. No other exercise breaks me down like those damn things. My instructor, Rafael, loves them and sprawls; therefore, I hate him. My next goal will be 100 in eight minutes, which will provide enough gas for almost any BJJ match, methinks.

Regarding the rope: I have it thrown over the rafters in my garage, so I have an end in each hand. My grip endurance has already improved in Gi-Bjj do to doing them often and in a fatigued state after burpees. My next step is doing push-ups using the rope.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #60
R. Alan Hester

18 Nov 08
Gi Bjj
Typical warm-up 35 min
then:
you and partner start in mount, side-control, or with hooks in. Every escape equals 10 push-ups.

Technique:

2 spider guard passes. Worked great in practice, not so good in real-time, because I was not pressuring enough.

Roll:
4 x 10
rolled with 3 blues and one white. I did OK. Overall, a bad night.

Notes:
1. My side-control escapes are shit, save rolling out to turtle. Therefore, if my partners agree, I will be starting in side-control every roll until I pull my head out of my ass.

2. Only eating 6 oz of turkey, an apple and 25 almonds was not enough today. I dug too deep of a hole over the last 24 hours, which emerged tonight. I was not winded, just sluggish.

Deadlifts tomorrow. At least they don't hit back.