Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Special Populations

Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Jamila Bey

Default Where are the health-conscious new mommies?

I swear, this is the only group where I don't feel as if thinking- or thinking "the wrong way" will get me kicked out!

I'm trying to figure out what vitamins I should be taking. (You're African-American you need more vitamin D. Give your baby poly-vi-sol right now!)

I'm trying to figure out what vaccinations we're going to do. (I'm a Pittsburgher, so Jonas Salk and all vax polio are simply hometown pride related!) I'm an atheist and I'm not willing to lie about that to get any religious exemption- should I want one. Besides, we're gonna homeschool, so having the schools block admission is in fact desirable for me.

I also want to get back onto an exercise plan, but I need to figure out the sleeping thing. (I've just been doing 10 push-ups to 25 holding baby squats when I think about it.)

I can find out what celeb is decorating her nursery with what crap, but it seems the only post-partum health info is run by total crackpots or folks with an obvoious agenda.

Or am I missing something?

Rant done.
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Have a jogging stroller yet? Those are great for longer walks, the regular strollers are ok for indoors type stuff but a good jogging stroller is great for any outdoors walking.

My wife didn't really start exercising heavily until Connor was almost 9 months, due to the sleep thing and the C-section thing...etc So I can't really give any input on starting earlier.

We ended up doing the standard vaccinations, I was a bit iffy but my wife insisted. I know there is a lot of literature about testing prior to getting the shots. I just haven't kept up since most of the shots are over now.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
sarena kopciel

Kudos to you Jamila. If I had to do it again, I think I might go the whole nine yards as well (well, not the homeschool thing)! I started 25 yrs ago with the shots but reduced the ones I gave until I stopped totally for my youngest (17yo). So oldest had some and youngest few (out of 4). I got an exemption which did become harder with each subsequent child especially as they were in private schools. Thankfully thats over now!!

Oldest now has his own kid and immunizes and all. Mom wasnt able to breastfeed long. My 2nd has a 3 month old and decided to homebirth and the whole deal. hasnt given anything yet and is holding off til she feels she is better informed! She also uses cloth diapers and all natural skin care products, some homeopathy, and breastfeeds.

Ultimately we live in an insane world with too much emphasis on trends! perhaps with the "greening" of the world we will come back to our senses and treat our young with more sensitivity and allow them to be children longer--think go out and play!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

I scare the mommies away....you can all blame me.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Jamila Bey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I scare the mommies away....you can all blame me.
Ah yes... I think it's all that Guinness talk that does it!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
sarena kopciel

Hey I thought the sane thing about the Guiness then I remembered that beer increases breastmilk production!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Dave Van Skike

Eat broccoli...lots of it, then your kids will like brocolli. Makes life easier about 4 years down the road.

Guinness is good for your...ummm.... lactation...

Jogging stroller or towable bike trailer..kids just zone out and you get som excercise. get a beefy one, weight it down, wear a weight vest and you can turn grocery trips into a 45 minute sled push drill.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Vaccinations. Tough subject.

www.thinktwice.com

At the least, make sure you get the vaccinations done singly (one vaccine at a time, maybe one a month) and verify that there is no thimerosal in them (don't trust anyone's word on it, ask to look at the container). Also, due to the fact that the immune system never "forgets" an exposure, I am of the belief that vaccines don't "wear off". One vaccine a lifetime for a particular disease is enough for me.

I'm still figuring out what to do with our soon-to-be.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Jamila Bey

Default Dammit!

So in DC it's required by law that a baby born in a hospital gets the Hepatitis B vax before he goes home. That's the one I MAJORLY object to, but I was all happy and hubby was insistent, so babe had that one...

Long story short, he's 4.5 months now and we started on one 2 month vax. Okay there. Then he got one that I don't even know which one because I'm too sleepy to recall and I don't have his book with me. But this last one on Monday gave Babe a 102 degree fever that I nursed all day Tuesday. And now it's back on Friday/Saturday.

Maybe it's the protective instinct in me that's making me angry about this, but I am totally rethinking my agreement with hubby over the pro vax angle... Then again, I live in DC where a trip to the doctor could put us in contact with anything at all because of the huge international population.

Man this parenting thing is difficult sometimes!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

You are doing the right thing whatever it is cause you are the parent! Both of our kids were vaccinated (not making it the right thing to do obviously) and I can tell you that both of them had fevers after getting certain vaccinations. I can't remember specifically which ones but I know that they did. In fact my son was more sensitive to it then my daughter and he would be just generally cranky for a day or two after each series of shots.

Keep being a great and caring parent and sleep anytime you can.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote