Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Dave Maerk
New Member
 
Dave Maerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 9
Default Minimal Running

What do you think is the minimum amount of running that one could get by with and still improve? I'm talking about long runs, 3-5km. Most times I see people recommend 3xweek, but could one improve with less, assuming the rest of the week is sports/CF stuff? How about once a week?
Dave Maerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Depends what you're doing and your ability level.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
James Evans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 594
Default

Stephen should just have a button that he hits to send out the standard reply because it's alway spot on - I would add to his response: "what are your goals?".

I don't personally think 3-5km is long. I think 7-8 miles is starting to be long. Admittedly the last time I did any running in Thailand I thought I was going to die.

Based on knowing absolutely nothing why not experiment by doing a long run at weekends? Build it gradually. I know there are running clubs in Bangkok that you could hook up with. Where abouts in Thailand are you?

Alternatively, if you need to run for a test or a race then run more. Loads of posts across the internet about an upcoming 2 mile test that will make or break a career and can the poster just bench 5 days a week + a lap of the track with a weighted vest. Sure you can.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Derek Simonds
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 4,231
Default

I am not a fast runner and I ran a 5K last year at Thanksgiving in around 22 minutes with no training other than the occasional sprint. It wasn't a dedicated running plan just whatever sprint work was thrown in for that week.
__________________
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Dave Maerk
New Member
 
Dave Maerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Stephen should just have a button that he hits to send out the standard reply because it's alway spot on - I would add to his response: "what are your goals?".

I don't personally think 3-5km is long. I think 7-8 miles is starting to be long. Admittedly the last time I did any running in Thailand I thought I was going to die.

Based on knowing absolutely nothing why not experiment by doing a long run at weekends? Build it gradually. I know there are running clubs in Bangkok that you could hook up with. Where abouts in Thailand are you?
I'm on the beach near Ban Phe. Can't stand Bangkok..

The goal is to improve at running with a minimal time invested. Say, to the point where 3-5km "isn't long" for me either, and I can do it with ease.

Of course, like you said, I'll have to experiment for myself. I was just looking for anecdotal points, like if any of you have run only once a week (or whatever) and improved your time/distance.
Dave Maerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Dave Maerk
New Member
 
Dave Maerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Thailand
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I am not a fast runner and I ran a 5K last year at Thanksgiving in around 22 minutes with no training other than the occasional sprint. It wasn't a dedicated running plan just whatever sprint work was thrown in for that week.
Thanks man, that's the kind of data point I was looking for. BTW, you're near my home town (Tampa)
Dave Maerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell
Senior Member
 
Mike ODonnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,596
Default

If you can run 400-800 meter repeats......you can run 5ks with ease. I trail run only...up and down hills, some flat stretches...usually just run like hell....then walk a bit....then run like hell....etc....turns into a 400-800 random interval training session. Running up hills suck ass....but man they work.
__________________
Fitness Spotlight
The IF Life
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
James Evans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Maerk View Post
I'm on the beach near Ban Phe. Can't stand Bangkok..

The goal is to improve at running with a minimal time invested. Say, to the point where 3-5km "isn't long" for me either, and I can do it with ease.

Of course, like you said, I'll have to experiment for myself. I was just looking for anecdotal points, like if any of you have run only once a week (or whatever) and improved your time/distance.
I've surprised myself in the past by how sharp I have felt on a run when I haven't actually been doing much running. The freshness helps but I think having the right kind of conditioning tuned in does too.

There have been periods when I thought I was doing the right kind of conditioning but not much running and I've blown up - see thread where my girlfriend kicked my arse.

And there have been periods when I did lots of running and I felt like shit.

Mark Twight would say, in fact he does say, that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but I don't think a decent 5km time and Derek's is very respectable is that hard/time inefficient to achieve.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
If you can run 400-800 meter repeats......you can run 5ks with ease. I trail run only...up and down hills, some flat stretches...usually just run like hell....then walk a bit....then run like hell....etc....turns into a 400-800 random interval training session. Running up hills suck ass....but man they work.
Yep, I'd recommend this too. 400/800m intervals.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Grissim Connery
Senior Member
 
Grissim Connery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 624
Default

i feel like i keep better form if i do most my running on hills, and since improving form should be the goal, i feel it takes less milage.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator