Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Dave Maerk

Default Minimal Running

What do you think is the minimum amount of running that one could get by with and still improve? I'm talking about long runs, 3-5km. Most times I see people recommend 3xweek, but could one improve with less, assuming the rest of the week is sports/CF stuff? How about once a week?
Dave Maerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Depends what you're doing and your ability level.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
James Evans

Stephen should just have a button that he hits to send out the standard reply because it's alway spot on - I would add to his response: "what are your goals?".

I don't personally think 3-5km is long. I think 7-8 miles is starting to be long. Admittedly the last time I did any running in Thailand I thought I was going to die.

Based on knowing absolutely nothing why not experiment by doing a long run at weekends? Build it gradually. I know there are running clubs in Bangkok that you could hook up with. Where abouts in Thailand are you?

Alternatively, if you need to run for a test or a race then run more. Loads of posts across the internet about an upcoming 2 mile test that will make or break a career and can the poster just bench 5 days a week + a lap of the track with a weighted vest. Sure you can.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

I am not a fast runner and I ran a 5K last year at Thanksgiving in around 22 minutes with no training other than the occasional sprint. It wasn't a dedicated running plan just whatever sprint work was thrown in for that week.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Dave Maerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Stephen should just have a button that he hits to send out the standard reply because it's alway spot on - I would add to his response: "what are your goals?".

I don't personally think 3-5km is long. I think 7-8 miles is starting to be long. Admittedly the last time I did any running in Thailand I thought I was going to die.

Based on knowing absolutely nothing why not experiment by doing a long run at weekends? Build it gradually. I know there are running clubs in Bangkok that you could hook up with. Where abouts in Thailand are you?
I'm on the beach near Ban Phe. Can't stand Bangkok..

The goal is to improve at running with a minimal time invested. Say, to the point where 3-5km "isn't long" for me either, and I can do it with ease.

Of course, like you said, I'll have to experiment for myself. I was just looking for anecdotal points, like if any of you have run only once a week (or whatever) and improved your time/distance.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Dave Maerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I am not a fast runner and I ran a 5K last year at Thanksgiving in around 22 minutes with no training other than the occasional sprint. It wasn't a dedicated running plan just whatever sprint work was thrown in for that week.
Thanks man, that's the kind of data point I was looking for. BTW, you're near my home town (Tampa)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

If you can run 400-800 meter repeats......you can run 5ks with ease. I trail run only...up and down hills, some flat stretches...usually just run like hell....then walk a bit....then run like hell....etc....turns into a 400-800 random interval training session. Running up hills suck ass....but man they work.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Maerk View Post
I'm on the beach near Ban Phe. Can't stand Bangkok..

The goal is to improve at running with a minimal time invested. Say, to the point where 3-5km "isn't long" for me either, and I can do it with ease.

Of course, like you said, I'll have to experiment for myself. I was just looking for anecdotal points, like if any of you have run only once a week (or whatever) and improved your time/distance.
I've surprised myself in the past by how sharp I have felt on a run when I haven't actually been doing much running. The freshness helps but I think having the right kind of conditioning tuned in does too.

There have been periods when I thought I was doing the right kind of conditioning but not much running and I've blown up - see thread where my girlfriend kicked my arse.

And there have been periods when I did lots of running and I felt like shit.

Mark Twight would say, in fact he does say, that there is no such thing as a free lunch, but I don't think a decent 5km time and Derek's is very respectable is that hard/time inefficient to achieve.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
If you can run 400-800 meter repeats......you can run 5ks with ease. I trail run only...up and down hills, some flat stretches...usually just run like hell....then walk a bit....then run like hell....etc....turns into a 400-800 random interval training session. Running up hills suck ass....but man they work.
Yep, I'd recommend this too. 400/800m intervals.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Grissim Connery

i feel like i keep better form if i do most my running on hills, and since improving form should be the goal, i feel it takes less milage.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote