Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Tom Rawls

Default "core" strength

I do all kinds of things that are supposed to make my core stronger--but my core remains wormy. Rather that do this and that and the next thing, can someone recommend basic exercises and programming?

Don't say L-sits. Can't do them. Maybe in my next life. Don't say OH squat. I lack the flexibility. Again, I'll make it a priority during my next earthly visit.

thanx.

Tom
Tom Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Planks for time--front, back, and sides. That's a good start.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Maybe you need to make flexibility a priority... tight muscles can present problems with strengthening..

In any case, planks are probably decent. Maybe start working ab wheel roll outs, knees to elbows, hanging leg lifts, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
I do all kinds of things that are supposed to make my core stronger--but my core remains wormy. Rather that do this and that and the next thing, can someone recommend basic exercises and programming?

Don't say L-sits. Can't do them. Maybe in my next life. Don't say OH squat. I lack the flexibility. Again, I'll make it a priority during my next earthly visit.

thanx.

Tom
the following done Heavy

zercher squats and front squats (no belt) better yet do them from a deadstop bottom up. sandbag shouldering. keg loads and lifts, heavy carries overhead or on shoulder. I don't know programming but early in the workout and as often as you can with full recovery has worked for me.

these lifts with adjunct stuff like ab wheel, windmills, turkish get ups done lighter at the end of a workout will give you some real world strength you can use...... like for lifting, carrying and holding shit that is bigger than you are.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
John Alston

Zerchers indeed, zerchers.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Dave Ogilbee

I agree with Steven. In my own experience, getting core strength has been difficult until I realized I was leaning more towards "beach abs" as opposed to core strength. After I began doing a lot more complex movements (Back/Front Squat, Deadlifts etc), Power movements, as well as focusing core workouts on lower back muscles just as much as abdominals, I began to see improvements. Keeping those muscles flexible is also a key factor though, so throwing in some planks and exercises that focus on the transverse abs and core stabilizers will help as well.

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

What exactly do you mean by "wormy", anyway?

If you're doing heavy compound lifts while maintaining good form, your basic core function is fine...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Tom Rawls

"Wormy" is simply a bit of metaphorical play around the idea of a less than ideal core, although we don't find many worms in our apples in these modern times.

I do most everything people have suggested--in no particular order--so I expect my core is okay. Perhaps I should just be doing a bit more or a bit heavier or both. That and zercher squats, apparently.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
"Wormy" is simply a bit of metaphorical play around the idea of a less than ideal core, although we don't find many worms in our apples in these modern times.

I do most everything people have suggested--in no particular order--so I expect my core is okay. Perhaps I should just be doing a bit more or a bit heavier or both. That and zercher squats, apparently.
Sounds like you're strong enough to do the stuff you like to do...If you are leaning towards strength athletics I think you can't go wrong with the stuff I suggested. If you lean towards "GJ" (not that there's anything wrong with that) or fight sports or endurance stuff the static holds will probably do you well. The one crossover is probably the ab wheel roll outs, that thing is gold.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Tom Rawls

Dave--

My primary sport these days is rowing. People call it "power/endurance." It doesn't require explosive power, though. I like doing strength training, strength being something of a euphemism in my case. The lifting is particularly helpful for the work I do in my woods, felling and the like.

Recently I got an ab wheel. Sounds as though it might prove to be a worthwhile purchase. I need to make it my friend.