Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Default Neuroendocrine response

Just curious to see what you guys thought since no one has really talked to me about it yet.

Questions? Comments? Feedback?

I may actually research into it a bit more if I have more time (specifically on testosterone and perhaps others which I will post here), but I thought the 3 responses I covered would be sufficient since the article was getting pretty long as it was.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Peter Dell'Orto

I've read it twice, and what I learned is I don't know enough about the subject.

I think you clearly put a lot of work into the article, and it's not that your writing is opaque. The topic is a bit opaque to me at this point. I feel like I need the executive summary - "It's not EPOC that makes Tabata Sprints better for fat loss, it's the neuroendocrine response that does so. Here is how your training should reflect that."

But it's a dense article, and I've printed it out and keep referring to it, trying to get a handle on the information included. I think I better understand what's going on in my body when I do my workouts that have this effect, but I'm not quite sure what to do about. I'm happy to keep trying to understand it better and I think the article will help me once I get a better handle on what's in it.

Executive Summary of my post: "Thanks for the article, but it's a little technical for someone like me with limited technical understanding of the body's systems."

Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, I completely understand that I didn't actually delve into the "how [it can be applied]" as much as the "what [is neuroendocrine]", "why [neuroendocrine occurs]" and "when [neuroendocrine occurs]" here.

If you want a summary of the "how" we can hash things out in this thread if you want.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

To be honest I keep meaning to read the article but I've been swamped with moving preparations and then the actual moving.

I'll get to it this week.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Colm OReilly

Way over my head but I really enjoyed it. Thank you.

Colm
-Not that smrat
Colm OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Pat McElhone

I have read the article. It is a good review of some of the things that happen when we train. It does get very detailed in the paragraphs, and this may cause readers to get lost. A diagram or cartoon showing what happens physiologically would have helped. Also, table of the hormones discusses and their actions would allow the read to keep track of the various roles each hormone played.

I do applaud your effort. This is complex stuff and it is nice to see someone trying to get it out there for everyone to understand.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Haven't read it yet....but that reminds me to print it out, as I do not like reading longer articles on a computer screen.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell; 07-07-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Haven't read it yet....but that reminds me to print it out, as I do not reading longer articles on a computer screen.
Me too. I always run out of screen. WTF?

Look forward to reading it.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
I have read the article. It is a good review of some of the things that happen when we train. It does get very detailed in the paragraphs, and this may cause readers to get lost. A diagram or cartoon showing what happens physiologically would have helped. Also, table of the hormones discusses and their actions would allow the read to keep track of the various roles each hormone played.

I do applaud your effort. This is complex stuff and it is nice to see someone trying to get it out there for everyone to understand.
That's a good idea as well.

I'll try to make something up a bit later in the week when I'm not as busy for this.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Craig Snyder

I do agree that EPOC is overblown in it's effect, but if it has such a small effect, how did it ever get such a large amount of the credit for fat loss for HIIT?

(Copied from article)
Similarly, in 2006 Laforgia et al. comes to the same
conclusion as their data indicates that “EPOC
comprises only 6 - 15% of the net total oxygen cost
of the exercise [3].” This data agrees with an earlier
study in 1997 by Laforgia et al., contrasting 60 minutes
of HIIT comprised of 1 minute at 105% VO2max running
with 2 minutes active recovery, and 30 minutes of ET
was composed of 70% VO2max running where they
determined that there was <100 kcal burned in EPOC
[4]. These values were 7.1% and 13.8% of net oxygen
cost for ET and HIIT respectively.

As far as the studies you listed, isn't 105% above VO2 max a little low for HIIT? I believe I have read Tabata intervals reaching in the 150-170s% of Vo2. Or was it low like that to sustain that effort for the duration of the hour?

Thanks for writing this. I have been in an arguement with an exercise physiogolist for a while now about HIIT vs aerobic training and this gives me a lot more ammo and angles that I didn't know about.

Craig
Craig Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote