Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
kevin mckay

Default explaining paleo to the impatient.

I like “don’t eat anything that you could not eat if uncooked” as a paleo guideline seems to be super simple, totally consistent with paleo and makes people think from a paleo perspective. I can’t really think of any loopholes and it makes giving people guidelines really easy. Does anybody see any loopholes or problems with this?
kevin mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

I don't think most people will understand that whole grains have been prepared before hand. I know that I didn't know grains can't be digested unless they go through a milling process. Also, you're leaving milk open, not to mention sugar/honey. You also can't eat ground beef uncooked (or at least shouldn't). Besides, the concept of eating any type of meat uncooked is completely unapealing to most everyone. I think your concept would lead most people to vegetarianism.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
kevin mckay

great points, Thanks
kevin mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

I like to say....if it wasn't around 200 years ago...your body doesnt know what it is or how to use it, so dont eat it....people can relate vs Paleo man times. Of course that doesnt tackle the issues of excessive grain and dairy, but it's a good start to get all the processed foods out. That and "no bread"...people have no idea how much bread is in their diet till they take it out.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Allison Barns

Being dairy and gluten intolerant is a great way to 'go Paleo' without knowing it. The first time I heard of the Paleo diet I thought 'that's how I eat!' (Okay that plus cheats like dark chocolate, chips, wine.... which I have now given up in the effort to get healthy...sigh). So glad the rest of y'all are catching on!

Anyway, my two favorite phrases are (1) "If I could kill it or pick it, I can eat it" and (2) Quoting a now ex-boyfriend "You eat like a lizard - meat, fruit, and veg" (I wasn't ever sure how to take being likened to a lizard... but the phrase is good!)
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Ido Portal

Charles Poliquin likes to use this as a guideline:
'If it didnt run in the field, fly in the sky, swim in the river or its not green, dont eat it'
http://www.hacasa.co.il
Ido Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

As a general rule of thumb, I usually tell people "If it wasn't available a few thousand years ago, then don't eat it." To me paleo is just that...replicating the same cuisine choices available to man during the paleolitic era. Bread, grains, soda, processed food, and other "inventions" are still foreign products to our body and consider outside the parameters of nature.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Joyce Behrendt

Eat what you could find if you were walking naked across the tundra carrying a sharp stick.

If it has fur, feathers or fins, I eat it.

Ever heard of Steak Tartare, Neal? This is raw beef. Itís best to eat good quality whole pieces of meat that is freshly ground. You are right about pre-ground beef because gosh knows what might be in it.
Joyce Behrendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
Neal Winkler

"Meat, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Little starch, no sugar."
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

The only problem with telling people only eat stuff that was available prior to 2000 years ago is that most people don't know what was available prior to 2000 years ago. Why should someone assume that grains or dairy were not widely consumed until 8000 years ago? Unless they have read what we've read, such a statement is useless. I think Neal has it best for laypeople.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote