Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
joe waguespack

Default Calorie high? Is it possible?

I have finally found my perfect IF blend. Mon-Fri I fast between 16-19 hours (yes I actually am paying attention to the "I" in intermittent) on heavy training days I eat about 2 hours before my training and have my largest meal post workout ( Lean Gains approach). THis day usually includes oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit and veggies as my carb sources. On my lighter Metcon days I train fasted and go slightly lower carb (just fruit and veggies).

Usually on Saturdays I will do a 20+ hour fast and break it with a higher calorie "cheat" meal which , for the past two weeks, has consisted of a whole baked chicken(minus skin of course) and a pint of ice cream.I will eat for the next few hours, mainly fattier meat (ribs, brisket) and ice cream as desert.

THis is just one day a week that I eat like this and so far in two weeks of this I have put on 5lbs and definitely even leaned out a little.My strength has gone up and my lifts have as well. So I think I have found a good mix , for now. I love IF so I am glad I have found a eat/fast/train mix that works.

OK , now my question. On my "over"indulgence days , I feel almost drunk after I eat. I don't stuff myself to sickness, but I definitely feel almost loaded. Could it be the massive intake of calories, or maybe the sugar from ice cream that I am not used to? Or is there something metabolic that is going on? Just curious, since this only happens on my high calorie days.
joe waguespack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Why don't you eat the Chicken Skin??
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
joe waguespack

Ha! The funny thing is as I was typing that , I knew that you were going to comment on that Jay. Thats hilarious.

It just grosses me out. I love the fatty dark meat , but the skin is just to much for my taste. Thats all. But beef and pork fat, now thats a different story. The well charred fatty ridge around a ribeye or pork chop... my favorite part.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Craig Brown

Hi Joe-

I get this when I am doing pure paleo and then add in more available carbs- specifically ice cream. I think it is just your body's way of telling you it's happy. It's an interesting feeling.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe waguespack View Post

OK , now my question. On my "over"indulgence days , I feel almost drunk after I eat. I don't stuff myself to sickness, but I definitely feel almost loaded. Could it be the massive intake of calories, or maybe the sugar from ice cream that I am not used to? Or is there something metabolic that is going on? Just curious, since this only happens on my high calorie days.
Totally. I am glad to here someone else say that I get high off some cheat meals to. I believe there are multiple reasons. The first is just the insulin.... Raised blood pressure..... incredible amounts of fast fuel entering the blood stream of an animal conditioned to use energy efficiently also probrably throws us out of the normal sensory perception especially when we are in a resting stae as far as our activity levels at the time of tis super nurishment. Finally there is a release of the neurotransmitter Dopamine whenever we take in sugar and experience the sensation of sweet not only that but it is released when we are satisfied and experiencing joy. I don't know about you but I Love Ribs and Ice cream look forward to a cheat meal like this (although the ribs are hardly a cheat without BBQ sauce all over them) and while eating it I am experiencing a joy full activity which ends in elated satisfaction and being nice and full to boot. at this point Your dopamine receptors are so chock full you may as well have just kicked back a pint of moon shine. This is for sure my DOC. And by spreading out the meals and IF your tolerance should never build. Just be responsible.... Don't cheat and drive
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Ha! The funny thing is as I was typing that , I knew that you were going to comment on that Jay. Thats hilarious.

It just grosses me out. I love the fatty dark meat , but the skin is just to much for my taste. Thats all. But beef and pork fat, now thats a different story. The well charred fatty ridge around a ribeye or pork chop... my favorite part.
Joe;

LOL x 2.

Like your IF schedule, sounds like it is really working for you.

Good luck in your endeavor, I'm sure it will be a success.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Paul McKirdy

I know lately, on my ice cream servings I have added coconut oil(it hardens like that Magic Shell stuff and is WAY more delicious hardened against ice cream) along with an almond, walnut, pecan nut mix. When I am done with that over the next hours I feel full of energy to say the least. I am thinking it is the body's natural love of fat sources and getting lots of good stuff fast more than anything, because I do know that the sugar in the ice cream doesn't come even close to the amount of fat, and there is no crash at all.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
joe waguespack

Thanks alot guys.

Liam, do you think that even with the high fat content of the meals and the equally high fat content of the ice cream that insulin and sugar is even an issue? It seems that the super slow absorption due to all the fat would offset any reaction or possibility of an insulin spike.

I definitely see the point of those feel good hormones though. Nothing ends a hard week of training better than a rack of ribs dripping in sauce chased with some high quality ice cream. It's bad when you need a designated driver to go eat.LOL

The best part is when you wake up the next morning looking fuller and leaner.makes you wonder why anyone would eat/live/train any other way.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
The best part is when you wake up the next morning looking fuller and leaner.makes you wonder why anyone would eat/live/train any other way.
Welcome to the Kool Kids club.

Glad you find what works for you....it sounds very similiar to what I have found I like too....but my weekends tend to have some Guinness.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Liam Dougherty Springer

Yeah the fat probably keeps the isulin at subdude levels. Actualy since reading this thread I have been adding even more fat than usual to my startchy big eat days after a long fast and heavy lift day and have found a better reaction to the glucose rich foods. Thanx for the post.

Man has anyone made raw milk ice cream?

I am gonna try and then I am gonna put some coconut oil and cocoa on top... mmmmmmm...

Hey Mike how about Guinness ice cream... eh... eh...
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote