Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Charles Moreland

Default Charles' Strength to Power log

Original log was up on powerathletesmag.com but has since taken a drastic turn for the worse. Seems I will also be making a perma shift to performance menu.

If PAM ever comes back I will edit this post and possibly three other posts to repaste the previous entries. My formal strength training was started on 7/29/08.

I am currently:

5'9"
163 pounds
8.3% bf

Injury Status
Left distal biceps tendon appears fully healed, however tendinosis like pain has begun to start in what feels like my brachialis. Pain appears to be coming from the superior tendon and not the insertion.

Current Goals:
2x bodyweight squat
2.5x bodyweight dl
1x bodyweight dips
.5x bodyweight pull ups
1x bodyweight OH press
32" standing vertical
9'5" broad jump
front and straddle splits

Goals on hold:
Iron Cross
Front Lever
Planche
Pike Press

Goals Achieved:
Back Lever - Spring 08
45s Tuck Planche (fair) - April 08
Rock Solid Handstands - Jan 08
Slackline Handstand (8 second hold) - July 08
225# Squat - 8/27/08
Charles Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Charles Moreland

Alright so this is my first post. My name is Charles Moreland and I'm a 20 year old traceur, martial artist, sculptor, personal trainer, and soon to be avid gymnast. I meant to start this log much earlier yet ran into an issue with bicep tendinosis and had to go on hiatus for over 5 months. Elbow is almost back to 100% and my routine has become much more structured; enough to hold a log.

I plan to use this log to track my progress in strength to hopefully work my way up to gymnastics strength sets like the front and back levers, planches, and perhaps even the iron cross.

At the moment my routine is simple following the Starting Strength program. I am one week into the program.

Wednesday -
Squats 3x5 145#
DL 1x5 145#
Chest Press 3x5 110#
HSPU 3x5 bodyweight free wall

Dead lifts were a little weak due to soreness. Decided to take it a little easy.

Body comp info -
male
20 years old
7% bf
Was 152 upon starting this program. Now 157 lbs
5' 9"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday -

Squats - 3x5 165#
DL - 1x5 165#
OH Press - 3x5 100#

I think I'm dead lifting improperly so I'm going to have to go back Monday and use an empty bar to nail out the kinks. I also think I more or less skimmed the dead lift section of starting strength. I'll do some more research for Monday.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been on the road so it's been hard for me to update. Monday was my last formal workout.

Squats 3x5 - 175#
Deadlift 1x5 - 175#
Chest press 3x5 - 120#

Monday was a pretty big jump on all lifts for me and I felt great while doing them. I'm seeing some serious image changes as well as just personal strength changes while performing everyday exercises. My bodyfat has jumped up to 8% according to a bio electric impedance tester which isn't exactly reliable, but does show weight gain. I'm sitting at 159 lbs now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok finally got back to my lifts for a day this week. I used Chris' gym and was able to get his instant feedback on my form.

Squat 3x5 - 185#
Deadlift 1x5 - 173#
Chest Press 3x5 - 130#

Cooldown PT work on elbow 15# curls suppinated, nuetral and pronated. 150 reps
GHR 30 lbs 3x10

Feeling really strong especially after this weekend. I'm up to 160 lbs now and still have only put on one percent body fat. Chris watched me like a hawk on my deadlift form and gave me some really helpful cues to get my form correct. I'll look to increase the DL and chest press more next time.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Charles Moreland

Wednesday workout

Squats 3x5 - 190#
Deadlift 1x5 - 185#
OH Press 3x5 - 110#
Chest Press 3x5 - 135# (I was feeling *really* good yesterday)

Warm down
15# curls for PT work on injured elbow
30# GHR 3x10

Jumped up again in my squats which felt amazing. Still working on the deadlift and felt like I was really really pulling hard to keep that weight. I'm going to try to invest in a camera to watch my form. Really happy with my chest press. Making some pretty quick jumps in that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday Workout

Squat 3x5 - 195#
Deadlift 1x5 - 190#
Chest Press 3x5 - 140#

Warm up - C2 rower 2 minutes / air squats

Cooldown - 20# PT curls for tendinosis / 35# GHR 3x10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squat 3 x 5 - 200#
OH Press 3 x 5 - 105# (For some reason this is the only exercise I cannot see massive gains in each time I come back to it...)
Deadlift 1 x 5 - 195#

Rings - Bulgarian Ring Dips 3 x 5
Alternating side straight arm push ups 3 x 5

Attempted RTO dips....fuck that. Did 1 and made probably the best face imagineable. Rings were barely turned out too

GHR 45# 3 x 10

A little ticked off by my OH press still. Any one that can give me some insight in that?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Charles Moreland

Wednesday -

Squat 3x5 - 205#
Deadlift 1x5 - 205#
Bench press 3x5 - 135#

Pull ups 3x3 - slow and controlled felt alright. very slight "sore" pain this morning.
3x7 - assisted with 50 lbs

GHR 3x10 - 55#

Dead lift felt amazing. I feel this was the workout I needed to finally get my deadlift weight up to standards. 205 felt relatively easy so I feel I can bump this up come Friday. I did alot of ring yesterday so I didn't think it was wise to increase the bench much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

PAM down for two workouts
Old 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Charles Moreland

Workout Wednesday 8/27

Warmup -
2 minutes rowing
20 airsquats
10 push ups

Workout -
220# Squat 3 x 5
220# DL 1 x 5
145# Bench 3 x 5

Cooldown -
Back extensions 55# 3x10
Stair Machine (half goofing off half serious for Urbanathlon)

Pt work on elbow -
12# left arm curls 3x15 (I feel these do nothing anymore for my condition)
50# Lat Pulldown 2x30 eccentric/concentric (I think I might start working these more along with some gravitron work to get my elbow/brachialis back into pull up condition)

I did one squat rep of 225 for the sake of getting 225 as it has been a big milestone for me since beginning. After looking back, or rather remembering back seeing as PAM is down with my log, it has been a month since starting this program. I started at 95# squats and have since put on 14 lbs of bodyweight and 2% of bf. As strong as I feel, I may be moving too fast. I'll sit at 225 for a couple work outs and slow down my progression a bit.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

No way you can move too fast with linear progression. Unless your form is deteriorating you should keep going.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Charles Moreland

Zac was saying he saw some trouble with my heels coming off the ground. I don't feel like I'm doing it at all and I'm certainly not pushing weight with my ankles so I dunno. I'll take footage tomorrow and you can judge.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Charles Moreland

Friday Workout 8/29

Warm up -

2 minutes rowing
20 air squats
10 push ups

Work out -

225# Squat 3x5
225# DL 1x5
150# Bench Press 3x5

Cool down -
Back Extensions 55# 3x10

Elbow -
Lat Pulldown 55# 3x25

225 squats felt absolutely awesome. I got video of the squats which I will post soon but from what Zac said they were good squats.

So yeah Steve, I'm definitely going to keep pushing until form goes. My upperbody presses are still going very slowly but I'm slowly starting to consider myself a strong individual.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Charles Moreland

Monday Workout 9/1

I missed my Sunday workout due to craziness with moving back to school.

Warmup -
2 minutes rowing
20 air squats
10 push ups
135#squat iso hold at bottom 30 seconds

Workout -

230# Squat 3x5
230# Deadlift 1x5
45# Weighted Dips 3x5

PT Work -

15# curls 2x25 (suppinated and neutral)
70# Lat Pulldown 3x5

I've been toying with the notion of stopping my deadlifts. Perhaps it's just the discouragement that I can't deadlift more than I can squat. I went for 240, which I pulled once and couldn't possibly do 4 more. Switched down to 235 with same result. I'll attempt to get more video of this to see exactly what I'm doing wrong.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Charles Moreland

Wednesday Work out 9/3

Warm up -

2 minutes rowing
20 air squats
10 pushups
30 sec iso hold 135# squat

Workout -

235# Squat 3x5
45# Weighted Dip 3x5

*Deadlifting station was being used and I needed to run to class

Elbow -

80# Lat Pulldown 3x5

I felt dead the entire day due to it being 90 degrees. Squats didn't feel too lovely but I think it was just the circumstances.

In other news my flexibility work is really taking off! Today I was 5 inches from the ground in a front split which is a 10 inch increase from the start of this program. Side splits remain difficult but hopefully I can iron those out for tae kwon do this semester. Kicks on Monday felt great. Still not as high as I'd like but it's a start.