Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #1011
Arien Malec

I should do the same - nagging shoulder and hip issues. Rest up.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #1012
Derek Weaver

Pretty rested, but way out of sync from travel. Freaking busy too. 24 hour day last Thursday, 19 hours Monday.

Today 1/26/2011 Wednesday
First time doing anything other than mild stretching with the back and hip stuff happening... been 2 weeks

Power clean for a bunch of doubles at 135. First time doing these in a loooong time. Started getting pretty snappy after a while.
KB C&P 50 reps total with the 16kgs
GHR 2 x 5

Run following this from Andrew W's sig
Quote:
Day 1
Run for 3 minutes as far as possible eg 800 metres. Rest 6 minutes and run the same distance at 80 per cent of the time eg 3mins 36 secs with 30 secs rest. Repeat many times.
Day 2
Run 10 second intervals with 20 second rests for 30 minutes. Attempt to cover more than 50 metres per run.
Day 3
Run for 90 percent of the time for the distance achieved on Day 1. In this example 800 metres in 3 mins 18 secs with 60 secs rest. Repeat many times as long as target time is achieved.
Day 4
Repeat Day 2
Day 5
Run the 3 minute distance in 85 per cent of the time. Example – 800m in 207 seconds with 45 seconds rest. Repeat as many times as possible.
Day 6
Repeat Day 2
Day 7
Rest
After one month of repeating the Astrand weekly cycle, it will be necessary to do a 3 minute maximum effort run again to determine whether there is a major improvement and also to amend the training distance. For example a distance of 1000 metres may be run in 3 minutes and this distance will be a constant throughout the month.
It is not necessary on Day 1 to do the initial maximum 3 minute run again, this is done only once to determine the training distance.
distance = 620 meters. Only got through 3 before I had to call it quits. Ankles and lower legs started taking a beating.

I'll go through the first couple of days this week and then I guess start over on Monday according to the normal schedule. Not optimal but I wanted to do something and it won't kill me either.

I think I'm going to try and train for something like a 5 minute mile for a couple reasons. It's not that far, even though it's hard. Mile runners may not be as physically imposing as a decathlete or a thrower, but whatever, they're not scrawny marathoners either. running through an airport is something that can definitely benefit from a good mile run time.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #1013
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
running through an airport is something that can definitely benefit from a good mile run time.
800 m more like, in my experience. If you have to run a mile, you've already missed the plan. I've had many an 800m sprint to catch a plane, though.

Travel and long work days mess up the training schedule something awful. Glad to see you getting back in the swing of things.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #1014
Derek Weaver

I figure having the endurance for something a bit longer is a good way to cover it.

Agreed that if you're running more than 800m, you're likely screwed.

Unless you are at DFW running from gate to tram to gate. Or at Detroit Metro which is just a stupid ass plan for an airport. Especially when you get stranded there for like 7 hours between missed connections and delayed flights.

I hate Detroit.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #1015
Derek Weaver

1/27/2011 Thursday
Run 30 minutes @ 10 sec on, 20 sec off, but not like CF "Tabata".

No idea how many meters I covered tonight. Definitely in the range of 3000 I think though.

Funny how the easier I made my stride, the more ground I covered. Calves and ankles better today. Knees took a pounding when I screwed up my stride a bit.

Years ago before I started sitting at a desk for most of the day, I didn't have to think about this kind of stuff. I'm still just 27 too... better get this stuff squared away and relearn how to run.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #1016
Derek Simonds

Funny about Detroit I spent a lot of time there in the last couple of days.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #1017
Derek Weaver

The airport is actually pretty nice, but it sucks sprinting from one terminal to the next to get on a very small, plane that had to be de-iced three times before going to Toronto.

Including the looooong layover due to a missed connection.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #1018
Arien Malec

De-icing is just evil. Well, better than having the plane crash.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1019
Derek Weaver

Yeah. Considering the alternative, it's alright with me. Was frustrating because the delays were so bad that they would de-ice it, then get delayed again.... and it would ice up again.

It was like the airport/airline version of who's on first with all the starting, stopping, de-icing etc.

1/29/2011 Saturday
Had planned a repeat of the other day with the 620m repeats, but it wasn't happening. Had a few beers last night, slept a whole lot (finally think I paid off the sleep debt from the travel) and just wasn't it.

Got 4 x 400m in 90sec. with as much rest as needed to get the HR back to 120.

Total volume ended up approx 3600m including warm ups and cool downs.

Not a bad day, but the shins started getting a little touchy. Lift tomorrow if I feel like it, get back on the track Monday. Hopefully.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #1020
Derek Weaver

Way fatigued from being hungover yesterday morning, being out late nursing a single beer, then driving back across the East Bay and getting home @ 3:00am. couldn't sleep even though i was tired.

May lift later on. If not, tomorrow.

Dealing with some shin splints. The longer I run in one tempo/interval, the more I get the splints.

May have to re evaluate and reprogram accordingly on the distance I will focus on. Thinking 400m time goal. Then once I tick that off, set an 800m goal and train accordingly. Eventually move onto 1600m or more. Over time, longer distances are runs that have a greater chance of improvement anyway. Plus, the mileage required is good from a CV standpoint and the training is fun.

Still kicking things around, and once my shins stop hurting I may get back on the 1600m bandwagon. It's early yet, and can't blame this on training ADD. Just want to stay healthy, have my heart not explode, be able to run around in case something goes horribly wrong and I wind up with a kid before I'm 40.