Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #1021
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
in case something goes horribly wrong and I wind up with a kid before I'm 40.
It's not the end of the world :-) (my first was when I was 26)
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #1022
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
It's not the end of the world :-) (my first was when I was 26)
Yeah, mankind has gotten this far by being resilient through disasters. The Weaver men have a long history of holding off on fatherhood until the mid thirties to mid forties. I don't see myself breaking that pattern anytime soon.

Training:
1/31/2011 Monday
6 x 600m @ 3:36 with 45 sec rest.

Made it 600m instead of 620 simply because I would lose my place on the track.

Changed things a bit to compensate for my fitness (or lack thereof) level. Extended rests to 45 seconds with the goal of cutting it down to the actual 30 seconds.

No shin problems today, although I am not 100% healed.

I easily could have gotten 10+ today. That would have been cool. I usually had ~70 sec cushion making the rests much better.

Only had to quit because my left calf was acting up a bit, and I began to get a little raw on the arch on my right foot.

Things were clicking today. Lift tomorrow I think.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #1023
Derek Simonds

Ha on the kids thing. I waited until I was 30 for our first. I do agree with Arien it definitely isn't the end of the world it will just feel like it for the first 3-5 months... Seriously being a dad is the single biggest joy I have in the entire world.

Sounds like your training has been fun lately. I have tried to run a couple of times in the last 10 days and only got one session in. Got to get committed.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #1024
Derek Weaver

Kids scare the crap out of me. I like 'em and all, but I really like it when they go away. For now, I'm good being the cool cousin.

Training has indeed been fun. Been a little less often as I would like so that I don't blow my shins out or blister up my feet too bad. Looking to push the frequency a bit more often. Would ideally like to push the total mileage to 20+/week. Edit: thats over time. Not like i am going to log 25 miles or anything a week from now. Endorphin high for the win.

2/2/2011 Wednesday
Did yesterday's workout today.
10 sec on/20 sec rest (walk) for 30 minutes. Shins and all felt good except on the deceleration a few times.

I had my heart rate monitor on and found that once I was into my session about 10 minutes, my heart rate got no higher than 170 BPM, and would inch down closer to 155 or so within the 20 sec. Midway through, I was covering more ground per run, so long as I stayed smooth. If I pushed it too hard, it was worse, the HR got higher and I would break down on my mechanics.

This is not a Tabata workout anywhere near the CF sense. Or even HIIT. It is a lot of fun though.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #1025
Derek Weaver

Another good link from Andrew's blog. Not sure if I actually put this one in here yet, but here it is on boosting Vo2 Max.
http://olatn.tumblr.com/post/2664555...g-your-vo2-max
Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #1026
Derek Weaver

2/3/2011 Thursday
4 x 600m in 3:18 or less w/ 60 sec rest

Cramped up big time, left oblique. Wouldn't have gotten through 200m on the 5th.

Did some suuuuuuper light squatting for the first time in a few weeks. A bunch of doubles @ 185 to remember what it's like to have a bar on my back. Felt light and snappy which was a surprise since this was after running.

GHR 2 x 8
Pull up + Push up 3 x 10
TRX Jack Knife 3 x 12

Notes:
- oddly enough, my shins didn't bother me until my cool down.
- Cool stuff today, took my heart rate sitting down, after a couple cups of coffee and it was 56 bpm. Not bad. guessing this is whatever base I built during the Max Strength phase when I was getting up to an hour 3-5 days/week on the bike or treadmill as well as some of the work I've done in the last month or so. Even with the interruptions in training I've done more aerobic in the last 20 weeks than I had likely done in the last 200.

Interested to see where my heart rate gets to once I am actually aerobically fit. Hopefully not too low. No death by marathon for me.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #1027
Derek Simonds

56 BPM is very impressive. I would be happy anything under 80 with caffeine.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #1028
Arien Malec

No kidding. I have a friend who bikes long distance up steep hills multiple times weekly. He's triggered emergency situations in health care settings when his HR drops to absurdly low levels.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #1029
Derek Weaver

Thanks to both of you. I drink a lot of coffee since I am still doing some kinda odd hours and sleep patterns. One or two cups is just enough to hedge against a headache, but doesn't seem to have much of an effect past that. When I sleep at a normal time for a normal amount, my HR is pretty low.

What's odd is that my endurance still sucks for running. Heart is getting pretty efficient, but I am still not really ready to handle the lactic acid and impact I guess.

Rest day today. Shins are oddly sore. Like I posted yesterday, felt fine running, except for the cramp in my side. Then, on the walk back to my truck, my shins got sore. Ice and rest and I'll reevaluate tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #1030
Derek Weaver

Got out and ran today. Shins felt pretty good, but I kept it low key.

Walked a mile, ran ~600 meters. Did about 400 meters worth of skips, sprint starts, and other work.

Then just ran 2 x 600m. Shins started to talk to me a little, so I called it quits while I was still ahead. Also, started getting a cramp in my left foot.

I think I'll have to re-evaluate my running distances and maybe do this barefoot or in vibramz in the grass. Force myself to go slow, get my feet and calves/ankles ready and spare my shins for a while.

I'll get there with this stuff. I enjoy running after the first 15 minutes or so. In the past though, I just focused on that dreadful first 15 and bitched about how much I hated it.

Weights:
Turned into a simple upper body day because of curlz in the squat rack. This gym sucks.
Anyway:
Low Incline DB BP 3 x 10, 10, 8 @ 80
Neutral Grip Chins 2 x 10
Hammer Iso Row Machine 4 x 10 @ 130
Face Pull + Rope Press Down 2 to positive failure, in the range of 15 reps or so.

Hollow rocks x 100

Notes:
- Got the blood flowing. Since I haven't lifted much in a long while now this was fine. Thinking of using some sort of linear periodization (not linear progression a la SS) scheme. Not sure yet when it comes to the weights.
- Day could have been better, definitely could have been a whole lot worse.
- Had a few breaks to rip into the Metabolic Conditioning thread a few times, and got my workout in. Looks like I may see the sun come up tomorrow.