Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #111
Derek Weaver

12/5/2008 Friday
Legs still kind of sore from the 6 round tabata squats.
Front Squat 175x3x3 (3 minute rest)
Ring Dip 3x8 (2 minute rest)

15-12-9 1.5 pood KBS+ Pull Up 2.55.

A couple of things... I now suck at pull ups. A year ago I could rock out something in the 40 range. Not so much anymore. Conditioning will be fun and awful at the same time.

Went very light on the front squats due to the fatigue/soreness from Wednesday. This is a back off/rest week after all.

Ring dips started worse than they ended. I put a few in my warm up on Wednesday and was flailing all over the place, so I put them in for focused work today. First set was tough... next two evened out and were quite easy at 8 reps. Shouldn't be an issue including them in metcons at all.

Nutritional approach and next training template coming soon... maybe Sunday morning depending on what I do this weekend.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #112
Derek Weaver

Late night semi ramble.

First thing is first. I'm not looking to re invent the wheel here. I'm just inspired by several ideas out there... first Gant's Hybrid, Brandon's approach as well as the SFCF blog that's always got good stuff.

Any suggestions, please reply. I'm excited for a new approach.

The way I approach this next training phase, or rather series of phases is rather simple. For each phase, the lifting portion will consist of an an upper emphasis, lower emphasis and full emphasis.

Movement pool for Upper will be push press, one armed bench press- I like this one as a) the stability factor transfers well to functionality b) I'll get plenty of upper body pressing with the push press and met-con work c) I feel like this is quite a bit safer since I often have to work without a spotter. As well as rows... can't forget heavy rows from the floor.

Movement for lower will be Squat variations (likely start with front squats for the first 3 weeks, move to Back Squats or something like them soon), and a deadlift variation.

Total Body will consist of snatch or clean complexes and alternate from week to week.

Don't be surprised to see a "shit ton" of thrusters either. I believe these to be one of the most under rated exercises out there.

This is very MEBB-ish though the reps will stay lower to accomodate for the increased work from the other lifts as well as the conditioning.

Conditioning will usually have a power endurance aspect to it. Things like Cindy (usually half), tire/sled pulls, Fran, and other power biased metcons will be programmed.

Next phase would be power emphasis with metcons with a strength/strength endurance slant to it. Some sort of power oly movement along with a heavy lift (usually squats or clean and snatch pulls in place of deadlifts (this will likely change before the phase is programmed.

Conditioning for the power phase may be more along the lines of half Cindy with a weight vest.

All the movement pools will expand once I'm less tired and can get a good feel for what I'm doing here.

Just to be clear, I perceive power endurance to be workouts with weights and implements that are easy for one, suck at 20 and turn disastrous for one's psyche by 30.

Strength endurance for me would be slightly different (hence why I don't tend to really like these types terms: strength endurance, power endurance)... but something like what was on the CF Main Page "Freddy's Revenge" would fit the bill as I classify it.
edit: Freddy's Revenge was 185 lb. overhead (any-how)x5, burpeesx10. 5 rounds. Same rep scheme as the DL-Burpee CF Games WOD. That's how I see "strength endurance".

The thread on Hybrid Metcons will serve as solid inspiration.

Very heavy emphasis here from Coach Rut's MEBB, Mountain Athlete, Gym Jones, of course Crossfit and Coach Glassman as well as Greg Everett here at CA.

My ideas as I've expressed them are largely unoriginal.

Nutrition will be set soon once I figure a few things out. Protein will be set at minimum of 1 gram/lb. 1.5 may be in more order and will be adjusted as necessary. Carbs and fat will be tricky.

I've been swayed by Lyle a bit more lately. I know that at my current body fat level of "could be leaner" my insulin sensitivity has seen better days, but for the amount of work I'll be doing... I'm going to need glycogen. We'll see. Let me run some numbers and then most likely put it in block form to keep it simple.

More to come....

Last edited by Derek Weaver : 12-07-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: tired when I wrote it.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #113
Derek Simonds

Looks interesting and I will be following closely to see what you do.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #114
Derek Weaver

12/7/08 Sunday
Push Press 3x3@ 175
P-Row 3x3 @ 205

Metcon: 7- 95 lb. Thruster, 7-Pull Up, 7-53 lb. KBS... AMRAP 12 Minutes
= 7 Rounds plus thruster, pull ups... kbs after the bell.
Conditioning sucks.

I think it'll take a while for this to all round into shape. It'll only be a waste of time over the next few months if I don't learn anything from it all.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #115
Allen Yeh

I look forward to see what you'll garner out of this. It looks interesting.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #116
Derek Weaver

12/9/08 Tuesday
Still kind of ramping into the volume and finding that "sweet spot" where I can administer a heavy dose of self hazing and still recover in 48 hours.
Front Squat 3x3 @ 215
Sn Deadlift 3x3 @ 235 off a 2 inch platform

Metcon: (1sn+1OHS)x3 + 10 step ups on 25" box (ouch) + 10 pull ups-5 Rounds for Time= 10.54

Thoughts and Notes: Moderate volume, this week. Ramping into intensity and the like right now. I suppose I'm also trying to really square away exactly what I'm looking to do. Saying it is one thing, programming it is another. Only two days in and enjoying the process.

On the step ups... at 5'6" a 25" step up is brutal. 25 per leg is even worse.

Bodyweight at 171 this morning. Down about 3 lbs. quick just from not force feeding. I think that if I get down into the 9-10% bf range at 160+ I'll be fine.

Protein intake was in the neighborhood of 200 grams give or take a few. Minimum of 1 gram/lb of total bodyweight is the goal each day. Not really counting carbs or fat, just letting my body let me know what I need more of. Both are fairly moderate in intake.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #117
Kevin Perry

25'' has to be brutal especially with the extra mass aquired.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #118
Derek Weaver

The 25" step up is only good as an indicator of hip mobility. Mine is improving rapidly. My legs were not happy yesterday.

After today, I'm guessing they'll be pissed again tomorrow.

12/11/08 Thursday
Clean Pull+power clean+hang power clean+ high hang power clean+push jerk+ jerk:
1 each @ 95 lbs, 115 lbs.
Then 3 @ 135 lbs.
Not hard at all. I figured a power clean complex like this would be worse than it was... can definitely go quite a bit heavier.

Metcon: 30 BW back squats (175lbs.)
then: 3 rounds of 15 ring dips+15 pull ups. Time: 11.05

I'm an idiot. I'm going to be sore as hell after that "metcon". I figured I had gone with more of a power oriented total body approach on the complexes so I'd go strength endurance on the metcon. Ouch.

I think I'm coming down with a cold as well. Stress from new job and being cramped up in an office building all day does wonders for wiping out an immune system. Here's to zinc, vit. D, sleep and the like. Hopefully it'll only be a cold. If it's a cold, I'll train. If it turns into the flu, I rest.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #119
Derek Weaver

Default So I have been thinking...

I think I may actually abandon this experiment for a short while and go with the CA Wod at least for the first strength cycle, maybe longer.

I've been thinking more volume less frequency, but I've never done the CA WOD and think that it may give me more insight into what I'm really after. I don't really pay attention to the programming and tend to show up for the forum.

I followed the training template Greg laid out in the PMenu for training for the CF Games, but that's a little different.

Still thinking this over, but if I start I will do it on Sunday. Same idea nutritionally though. Minimum 1 gram protein/lb. moderate fat and carbs depending on how I'm feeling.

I'll make a decision after I'm done at work tomorrow as to where my never ending training experiment and adventure takes me.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM   #120
Derek Weaver

12/14/2008 Sunday
So I decided I'm going to do the CA WOD for now. I'll (hopefully) continue to get stronger, and get a better insight on blending programming as Greg does a great job of it.

Back Squat (high bar) 83%x3x4 (255 lbs)-I made my poundage off my low bar back squat of 305x5x3. This was fairly accurate as high bar definitely resulted in lower poundages. Most definitely not quad dominant at the moment.
Snatch DL 110% (snatch)x3x3 (235)- did this heavy as I suck at snatches. Probably could have and should have gone lighter than this. I remember seeing Greg respond on occasion that if technique and ability hamper numbers then we may need to skew things.
Push Pressx5x5 (150 lbs)
Pull Ups (6, 8, 10 reps) x2
Weighted Sit Ups 3x10 (25 lbs. was too light.)

Felt good today. Cold's almost all the way gone. I figure I'll stick to this for a while as I've got enough things going on with probationary period at work, economy, holidays etc. I don't really need to re-invent the wheel until further on down the road.

Weight's around 171. We'll see where it drops to. I feel good at this weight though.