Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #121
Derek Weaver

12/15/08 Monday
Mid Hang Muscle Snatch 60%x3x3- 95 lbs.
2 Position Clean (floor, mid thigh) + 2 Jerksx60%x4sets- 135 lbs
Metcon: 10-16-20 Reps KBS 30% BW + KB Clean +2 press/side : 12.33

Felt good today. I suck at snatches and kept 'em fairly light as I swing the ever loving hell out of the bar. Cleans were a bit light, but speed was good. Haven't taken a max clean or snatch in a loooong time so I played it conservative on both.

Metcon sucked. That was one of the worst experiences I've had in a while. Almost like doing "Fran"... though not that bad. Fran is just plain awful.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #122
Derek Weaver

12/16/2008 Tuesday
Front Squat (70%x3, 75%x2, 80%x1)x3= 155, 170, 180
Snatch Pull (100% snatch) = 175 (just over BW. Snatch sucks so I went heavier)
Rack Jerk- Push Jerk+ Split Jerk to heavy single Split Jerk = 195. Took too many work up sets. Can do more.
Metcon: 3 Rounds for Time: 15 KB DL High Pull 30% bw (53 lb.)+ KB Snatch 25% BW (35 lbs). =5.41

I'm kind of having to play with a few of the numbers due to technical ability as well as skewed numbers as I'm finally kind of strong again in total body strength from my recent mass gain.

Worked with what I had for the KB's and tend to round off the weights and percentages to keep it simple. Long workout today.

On the Jerks I think I can do significantly more than 200 with fewer increases in weight and a little coaching. My split jerk sucks too by the way.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #123
Derek Weaver

Wednesday and Thursday-Rest Days. Planned and Dad's birthday dinner

12/19/08 Friday
Couldn't get on the site so I had to go off of memory.
Decided to work to Heavy Single on the Power Snatch=165 lbs (about 5 lbs. below BW on the power snatch)
Snatch Balance x 95 lbsx2x2 (easy)
Metcon: No rower had to improvise
4 rounds: 20 kbs, 10 Pull ups= 5.19. I suck
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #124
Derek Weaver

12/20/2008 Saturday
Snatch to Heavy Single= 145
C&J to Heavy Single= 135 wrist hurt on this one.
Back Squat to Heavy Single= 265
Ab Wheel 3x15
Ring Push Up 3x15

I've been having issues with my left wrist on the Oly Lifts off and on for a while. I think that it's actually more an issue with my upper back not being flexible/mobile enough. On power cleans I feel okay, but on the full versions I get pinched bad.

Today it was so bad I thought I'd broken something in my wrist/hand. Numb for about a minute and very painful. I was still warming up and had to pull up on the c&j at a very light 135.

May need to switch things up based on health right now. Not happy as I flip flopped for so long a few months back. I'll mull it over and figure it out later.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #125
Derek Weaver

I think I've kind of figured out what I'll be doing for at least a while. While I have my gripes with CF, I still think it's about as legit as anything in the industry. I don't like straight strength training that much a la SS... Oly liftin's hard my wrists because I suck at it etc.

I was going to take a crack at my own programming with the thoughts I've been rambling about in this log, but with stress of a new job that I've still yet to clear probation on (90 day probation is brutal on the stress during this economy) and a number of other things I'm going to let someone else do my programming.

I'm back on the CF mainpage schedule 3/1 with a caveat or two: Every 2nd day of the cycle I'll go only strength training. Maybe one upper body movement and one lower. if a 5k comes up, I'll run it, but use it for active recovery and jog it more than anything.. I think running is asinine. With very few exceptions out there, we simply do not need to run 5k or 10k fast. WE need to be able to carry a weight over a distance more than anything. Inman Mile is a better test than 5k for 90% of people in my opinion. /rant

If something insane comes up, like virtual shoveling or some other metcon that's taking 45 minutes, I'll change it or make it power biased somehow.

Otherwise, I need the training to distract the mind and get some other things in line. Putting a focus on flexibility, mobility, and body comp. again. I just feel better mentally between 8-10% BF. It's a struggle to get there, but not that hard to stay there for me.

Nutrition: 18 blocks/protein (1 gram/lb of LEAN BODY MASS), 12 Blocks/Carbs, 18-22 blocks/Fat. Calories will be low for a while, looking to maintain, regain a semblance of Metabolic Conditioning and not get weak.

Like I said a few posts ago... I can re invent the wheel later. For now this is where I'm going. We'll see where I end up in a couple months.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #126
Kevin Perry

Good luck, I feel the same with the CF mainpage programing but I think that can be tweaked for the best results kinda the way Gant did his stuff.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #127
Derek Weaver

12/23/08 Tuesday
CF.Com WOD= EVA
DW WOD=
Work up to Heavy Single OHS= 155 (plenty left in the tank here. Haven't OHS'd for a long time)
Metcon 185lb Deadlift+ Ring Dip 21-15-9= 7.38 (I suck)

I am beginning to like OHS. Used to hate them, but today they felt good. Had a lot left on the "heavy single" which is less than BW by about 15 lbs.
I figured that while I re build overall work capacity I'd program a lighter metcon... I suck. Light deadlifts and ring dips took me forever. It's going to be a long road back.

At least I'm kinda strong again.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #128
Derek Weaver

12/24/08 Wednesday
CF.COM= Back Squat 5x5: Ended at 265 olympic style. Legs didn't feel great and I've been going high bar olympic back squat lately. I've got more in me on a good day with a high bar positioning.

Then: 15-12-9: 1.5 pood KBS + pull up= 2.56

Work capacity still sucks. Was just looking to drain a little more glycogen in anticipation for what I'm sure is going to be a carb filled couple of days.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #129
Derek Simonds

I drained some glycogen today and was thinking the exact same thing. My met-con has gone to hell in a hand basket. Oh well, feed time.

Nice times!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #130
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Work capacity still sucks. Was just looking to drain a little more glycogen in anticipation for what I'm sure is going to be a carb filled couple of days.

We are uber-fitness geeks BTW.....I had similiar ideas today. HA!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote