Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #1351
Derek Simonds

Especially when you are tired.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #1352
Derek Weaver

Truth. I find some lifts I just can't concentrate and hold a groove for more than 3-5 reps. Sometimes nothing more than 3s. Others, like with DBs, I can go forever. Odd.

No training lately. I seem to have strained what I think is the brachialis in my left arm dong the db rows. I want to protect the biceps since I am planning on going for a near max on Monday or Tuesday. Whichever day I feel crappier, I'll go on that day to try and play some reverse psychology on myself.

Of course, since I'm trying to trick myself, is it really a trick? I don't want a bum forearm/biceps area muscle/tissue to hold me back on what I'm hoping will be a less than crappy pull.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #1353
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I find some lifts I just can't concentrate and hold a groove for more than 3-5 reps. Sometimes nothing more than 3s. Others, like with DBs, I can go forever. Odd.
FWIW, I find that there's an odd gap between 1-3-5 and 10-20. That is, squat singles, sets of 3, or even sets of 5 are fine, but there's a grey zone between 6-9 where everything sucks. If I can squat to 10, I feel like I can go on forever (except for some bitty muscle somewhere that gets a twinge).
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #1354
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
FWIW, I find that there's an odd gap between 1-3-5 and 10-20. That is, squat singles, sets of 3, or even sets of 5 are fine, but there's a grey zone between 6-9 where everything sucks. If I can squat to 10, I feel like I can go on forever (except for some bitty muscle somewhere that gets a twinge).
Hmm, that makes sense. I thought of doing a run of 20 rep squats to groove the movement as I continue to improve my hips, but I'm not sick enough to do that.

I may have to give it a try sometime soon to test it.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #1355
Derek Weaver

10/24/2011 Monday
Dead lift up to 345 which was super easy and fast. I thought "let's nut up and finally pull 4 bills off the ground." I went ahead and got my lifting straps for extra grippage, belted up tight and took 4 attempts at it and missed each.

Finished with a few GHRs and abz.

Notes:
- The weight didn't even feel heavy in my hands. I broke it a few inches off the ground, but there is something in my mind that is holding me back. A true max effort in any lift is something I can't seem to get past. It is especially harsh in the upper body lifts because of the past hip and back issues I guess, but damn.
- I don't do any psyching up, and never have. I've never had the training partners or training environment to do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #1356
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
- I don't do any psyching up, and never have. I've never had the training partners or training environment to do it.
Same for me -- I rarely get excited after a lift, and almost never get worked up for a lift. I'm sure that in a comp, 400# would have gone up nicely.

I liked these two articles:

http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/0...ch-part-i-yin/
http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/0...-part-ii-yang/

On a "mysteries of the CNS" sidebar, I've found that wave loading often helps get the big number. Back down, do a few sets of lower reps until the weight gets "easier", then go back up.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #1357
Derek Simonds

Intersting stuff. I will check out those articles. You know I struggled for 2 years to get 400 then it was 415 within a couple of weeks. Heavy pulling is mental fo'sure.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #1358
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Same for me -- I rarely get excited after a lift, and almost never get worked up for a lift. I'm sure that in a comp, 400# would have gone up nicely.

I liked these two articles:

http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/0...ch-part-i-yin/
http://www.theironsamurai.com/2011/0...-part-ii-yang/

On a "mysteries of the CNS" sidebar, I've found that wave loading often helps get the big number. Back down, do a few sets of lower reps until the weight gets "easier", then go back up.
I'll look at those links. Thanks.

I honestly had forgotten completely about wave loading. I'll rest, may do some speed work on Thursday and may give it a go again in a week or two. I honestly feel charged up today. Not anywhere near the edge of burnout. CNS is as primed as it's been. Hardly slept, feel great... weird.

Derek,
What's weird, is that it didn't feel heavy in my hands at all. It felt like I had the grip to take it double overhand. There is that barrier that I'm going to crush and rip 400+ off the freaking ground before Thanksgiving Day.

Granted I was using straps, but it's just odd how I just shut down for some reason. My upper back didn't even feel like it rounded.

I'm going to go punch a hole in a brick wall (not really, I need these hands to pull)

If I bench 300 before I pull 400 I'm going to be so pissed.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #1359
Derek Weaver

Crashed a bit towards the end of the week. Not sure if it was delayed fatigue from the Monday Failure or what. It also could be that I pulled an all nighter the other night transferring a site between web hosts.

10/31/2011 Monday
Deadlift 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 1 x 3 times through. Took one more single @ 315 cause I felt fast. That last single felt slow
RFESS 2 x 10/side @ 2 x 20 lb dbs
2 x 8 GHR
Abz

Notes:
- Felt good. Good reps and was kind of testing something out that I'd seen mentioned. Not sure if I got it right, but I liked it.
- Another wave like in PTTP or BBB or whatever the Pavel book was is something like: 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5. Kind of an Eastern Euro thing.
- 400 is going to get crushed so bad. Time to start the psyche up.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #1360
Derek Weaver

11/1/2011 Tuesday
Bench 135 x 7, 185 x 5, 135 x7, 185 x 5, 135 x 7, 185 x 5
Pull ups 3 x 8
DB Rows x 70 lbs in plates + db handle x 3 x 12

Notes:
- Good workout. Had to get it done so I can be on the call I need to take in about 5 minutes.