Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

No injury except to your pride right? At least you didn't crack your head open or something, concrete and falls don't mix well.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Derek Weaver

Good call Allen. No injuries with a nasty fall like that is a blessing. I actually woke up today with no bruise at all. I guess it happened so fast that I just stayed loose. Lucky.

8/20/2008
ME Front Squats 3-3-3-3-3
Ended at 215. Solid for the day, nearly 1.5 bodyweight on a front squat for a triple is nothing to be mad about. More exposure to front squats should get that up to 2x BW quickly.

Messed with the Pendlay Rows for a couple sets than went 2x5 at 185 lbs. Felt good and could definitely go quite a bit heavier on these for 3-5 reps.

38 burpees today. 100 hollow rocks. 5 minutes upside down (handstand against wall, head stand etc.)
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Derek Weaver

Rough go of it the last 5 days or so. I was feeling great after my workout on Wednesday, took my standard rest on Thursday and Thursday night ended up laid out with the worst back spasms I have had since I played rugby in high school and had to go to the hospital for back and neck injuries (no paralyzation or anything like that). Friday I felt much better and was headed to Sonoma County for one last hoorah with some college friends. Weird, we're all 25+ now, but when we get together we're all first year frat boys again (5 guys from my original fraternity pledge class were there... gnarly)

either way, lots of beer and crap food (makes the Standard American Diet look good), but my back is better.

Monday 8/25/2008
ME Hang Clean 1-1-1-1-1 (missed jerks on Friday-will affect data on my end results)
Ended at 190. Nice considering that in January, pre ankle injury my max clean was 170. Almost 6 months off, 2.5 months back on and a 20 lb. leap on a hang clean vs. clean from the deck.

Metcon: Tabata squats and push ups
Squats: 21
Push ups: blew up after 6 rounds, ended with 13... 20 rep low through 6 rds.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
Derek Weaver

8/26/2008
Kind of a rest day today. out looking for a new job and I figured I'd give my back an extra day off as I have Front Squat singles tomorrow and a day of redemption with "Fran" before work in the morning.

Some gymnastics stuff (planche progressions, hollow rocks, bit of time upside down), daily burpees (44), got a nice 20 hour fast going today and was active out and about. Stopped eating at 7, will end up being about a 14-15 hour fast by my pwo meal in the morning.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

8/27/2008
Worked out in the morning for the first time in a while.
ME Front Squats 1-1-1-1-1
Final single done at 235... felt like I had more in the tank actually. I think 245 can go up.

Metcon finisher: 50 air squats, 50 hollow rocks-3 rounds done in a shade less than 8 minutes.

No fran today... just didn't have that kind of pain in me.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
Derek Weaver

8/28/2008
For some reason I got the idea to do 100 BW DL's for time at 160 lbs.

This is never a good idea.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
Derek Weaver

8/29/2008
ME Jerks 3-3-3-3-3
Ended at 175 lbs. More in the tank, but I actually felt really unstable in the overhead position. Need more stability work I guess. New problem for me.

Finished with half angie in 7 minutes and change.. I think something like 7.07.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

8/30/2008
"Nasty Girls"- 9.31.

I am pretty sure that I could bang this out in closer to 8 minutes... didn't have it after a loooong day on my feet at work.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

My relatively short experiment with a MEBB-ish approach is over. All in all I feel like I did well although things were hampered a bit by my back going nuts a week ago.

Nutrition was sound for probably about 90% of meals and body comp. stayed good. Lots of protein, lots of fasting for anything from 15-21 hours and carbs stayed usually between 60-100 grams/day, sometimes went as high as 200 grams.

Time for a new mode of programming. I may go with the current 4 week strength block from CA... or perhaps the Mass Gain. Either way, I need to continue to get stronger and may make that my focus with no metcon....

I'll think this over, lay out a plan and schedule it on here soon.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
Derek Weaver

Burgener Warmup x2
Snatch 3x2... escalated each set 95 lbs, 110, 125 lbs. Eh...
Back Squat (low) 5x5... 185, 205, 215, 225, 235.
Press 5x5... 95, 105, 115, 125, 130 (BW 1rm is attainable soon I believe)
Abs: 3x15/side KB side bends 1 pood, 3x12 ab wheel roll outs.

I was thinking about how I am going to program my workouts for the future and lo-and-behold... the new PMenu has a great article by Greg on training for the CF Games. The first 3 week strength phase he listed is exactly what I'm looking for... I believe I'll be just following the programming as equipment allows as each issue comes out. I've got enough to deal with in terms of work, looking for a new place, figuring out whether or not to take the CSCS etc.