Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
Derek Weaver

9/2/2008
Burg. Warm Up plus extra overhead squats... burpees
Power Snatch 3x2 at 100 lbs.
Power Clean and Jerk 3x2 at 155

Metcon: 10 minutes ARAP, 10 box jumps, 10 Pull ups, 10 Clapping Pushups

notes: Technique needs to improve on snatches especially. Jerks could have been heavier, but technique needs to improve there as well.

Metcon was good. Hadn't done box jumps in a while. Foam rolling and extra stretching tonight.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
Derek Weaver

9/3/08
C&J 5x2: 135, 155, 165, 170, 175lbs.
Dead lift 3x2: 315 across
Front Squat 3x3: 195 across

Didn't feel great in terms of strength. The C&J's were fine on the first rep, but the doubles really drained me. Took a ton off my deadlift and front squat.

Odd considering I have a "Grace" in the 5 1/2 minute range... but strength becomes an issue in the jerk above 175 (behind the neck is obviously considerably stronger with a PR of well above 200, still nothing to be proud of though).

Looking forward to tomorrow's workout and then a day of rest Friday.

Fast for 16 hours and change today.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #23
Derek Weaver

9/4/2008
No Fast today. Workout early before work, a little crunched for time, but still got it done.

OHS to a heavy single, 85%x2x3. Single done at 140. doubles done at 115 lbs.

Push Press 5x5 done at 120 lbs. Shoulders are toast today. Well below my 5rm, but leaves room for progression next week.

CF "Girl"- Jackie done in 9.33. Pull ups need work again. Used to be close to 40 kipped, but my pull up bar (similar to Again Faster Bar) requires a little different kip. Once it's refined I expect times to drop on metcons.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
Derek Weaver

Saturday 9/6/08
No Fasting for me... morning workout and then work all day.

Heavy Singles in:
C&J- 175 lbs. (pathetic)
Snatch- 125 (more pathetic)
Back Squat- 260 (well off the 330 lb. PR of long ago)

then did 15-12-9-6-3 for light metcon of Swings and Pull Ups. did it in just over 5 minutes.

Notes on the day:
No more burpee challenge. Not conducive to what I'm trying to do right now. Too leg weary today.

I have a job that requires me to be moving and on my feet for just about the whole day... coupled with lots of strength work leaves little work for anything else.

More gymnastics work is in order though. Handstand practice, l-sits, planche progressions etc. should all fit in nicely.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #25
Derek Weaver

9/8/2008
Good recovery Saturday night and Sunday... felt really strong today. Made jumps on the snatch as well as back squats
Snatch 5x2: (mis read last week, oh well): Ended at 130 lbs. Missed more reps due to weakness in the overhead position. Plenty strong though. Kept weight higher as getting under the bar was much easier.

Back Squat 5x5: Ended at 240x5. Felt good considering my single on Saturday was only at 255.

Press 5x5: Ended at 130 again. By the time I get done snatching and squatting I'm sapped. Still strong for reps relative to bodyweight.

notes: 15.5 hour fast today on my day off from work. Snatches felt much better in terms of the pulls and speed under the bar... overhead position needs work.

Glad to make a solid progression this week. Saturday had me a little concerned, but I figure I was just under-recovered. Sleep, food, water, budweiser all seem to do wonders for me right now.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Derek Weaver

Tuesday 9/9/2008
Power Snatch 3x2: Done at 115 lbs.
Big jump from last week. I felt strong, the bar was floating etc. etc. so I went for it when my work sets hit. My failure in the snatch is becoming obvious that it's about overhead stability at the bottom as much as anything else. Evidenced by my power snatches being better at just a few pounds less
Power C&J 3x2: Stayed at 155 this week
Form felt much better. Tomorrow on the C&J I will probably stay a bit above. I don't really know what the hell I'm doing here. It's almost like I need the work done for today in order to hit bigger weights tomorrow. I'm not sure if I explained that right, but I am sure I'll go to at least 175 lbs. tomorrow, possibly bump to 180

Metcon: "Light Day" CA Metcon but in reverse: 5 pull ups, 20 burpees (burpees supposed to come first), 10 pu, 15 burpee etc. 6.44.
I was sucking wind today. Metcon has been regressing while strength is going up. Odd as metcon is still getting plenty of attention.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
Derek Weaver

Wednesday 9/10/2008
C&J 5x2:Worked to 175 lbs. I believe a 5 lb. jump from last week. Started out much lower and worked my way up. Jerks are getting more confident feeling.

Deadlift 3x2:Added 5 lbs. to 320 across. Felt pretty good. My deadlift has fallen off quite a bit in a year. I somehow pulled 385x1 last year right around the same weight, yet I'm hitting 320 for doubles now. Squats and deads need lots of improvement.

Front Squat 3x3: 200 lbs. across. Capable of more, but the deads and C&J's prior really sap me by the time I get to FS's. This is easily my longest day.
No fasting today. Need to find ways to get mor calories in. Weight is nudging up, but recovery could be better. Looks like for the time being I'll be making up a lot of calories on days off from work.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #28
Derek Weaver

Thursday 9/11/08
first: Somber day, not much happening at work and realized it may be because of the "anniversary" of 9/11. Maybe not, either way it's a day to take pause...

Heavy OHS Single then, 85%x2x3 (Single done at 155, Doubles done at 135... these felt much better today)

Push Press 5x5: Done at 120 across. Again, these felt much better. I was fried last Thursday. Definitely could push another 10 lbs. or more for 5 sets across..

Metcon: 1/2 Angie in 6.59. Far from a PR. Pull Ups on the homemade bar are taking a while. Up to 21 kipped pull ups (vertical kip not nearly as efficient as the gliding kip in my opinion) but blew up around 30 or so.

Notes: Finally getting the weight to nudge up. At 5'6"-7" depending on who's measuring and 160 lbs. I am pretty solid, but I could stand to put on some weight to make the strength gains a bit easier. Looking for 170+ before I start to lean out again in the spring.

I'm reminded of a quote I saw once that said something like "I'm always amazed at how much better my genetics gets when I eat more and lift heavier". How true.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
Derek Weaver

9/13/2008
Hit a nice 23 hour fast yesterday. Felt great and got something close to 3k calories in 2 hours. A definite PR for that small of a window.

Heavy Singles today
Snatch: 115. 10 lb drop. The pulls felt much better, but I just couldn't hold it. Shoulder flexibility along with basic and fundamental form flaws are obviously the culprit. Shoulder flexibility I can fix... the others will take time and coaching.
C&J: 180 lbs. A 5 lb. jump from last week. Should have cut the snatches off. Would have made for a bigger increase.

Back Squat: 260 lbs. Felt really good and strong. Back felt a tad "off" doing these so I called it at 260. I'm good for closer to 280 or maybe more for a PR though... at least I think I am.
Metcon: 4 rounds, 15 reps each: Pull Up, Frog Hop, Plyo Push up.... Done in 6.50

Mini carb up today. Been glycogen depleted all week. Considering going with a more cyclical approach for a while.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #30
Derek Weaver

Gotta do some catch up here. Had a hard time getting on in the evenings when my workouts have taken place this week.

Monday-
Snatch 5x2- 100. form way off. Got more 'pop' and speed under the bar is good, but i'm way too far forward.
Backsquat 5x5- 210, 220, 230, 235, 240
Press 5x5- 105, 115, 120, 125, 130

Tuesday-
Pwr Sn 3x2-
Pwr C&J 3x2-155 across working on confidence in jerk paid off. Very easy, could have gone heavier
Metcon- 3 rounds: 20 pull ups, 10 kb snatch (5r/5l), 5 burpees-6.19

Wednesday-
C&J 5x2- Ended at 185 for a double. These taxed the hell out of me and my deadlifts and front squats suffered dearly
Deadlift 3x2- 285 across. 35 lb. drop from last week. Just couldn't move anything significant. With a 1rm of 385 in the past I am getting frustrated.
Front squat 3x3- 185 lbs. 20 lb. drop I think from last week. Felt very unstable heading into the hole.

Thursday-
OHS Heavy Single @ 150 then 85% (130 lbs.)x2x3
Push press 5x5 at 130 across
"Fran" in 5.16. Really sucked. Not a PR by any means. Had i not "warmed up" with heavy ohs singles and doubles then push presses I would have been closer to 4 minutes. I truly believe I can be in the mid 3's very soon if everything falls right.